• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Is it normal to get very pale stools from drinking lots of milk?

username

I have consumed dairy regularly over the years, so it is nothing new for my body, but I never thought to ask if the pale stools were normal. I just assumed that it was, but so much is off about my digestion, so I figured I'd come here to ask. I get VERY pale stools from milk (whole or skim), granted I am drinking a lot of it. I normally drink whole milk and not skim, but both of them give me pale stools. Right now I am experimenting with one gallon of whole milk per day and nothing else. My stools are a light yellowish beige. I have read that pale stools are often an indication that the liver is not making enough bile. Is this also the case with milk, or dose milk normally produce very pale stools? Like I said this is whole milk, which contains fats and should stimulate bile production. Also, the stools appear very clay-like. Thanks for any advice!

Comstock

I get the same stool when I eat large amounts of farmer's cheese. I think I get the same when I drink lots of milk too, but I haven't really done that in a while.

I'm guessing it's fine, but I don't know for sure. I think Peat has said pale stools are fine.

Being

I have consumed dairy regularly over the years, so it is nothing new for my body, but I never thought to ask if the pale stools were normal. I just assumed that it was, but so much is off about my digestion, so I figured I'd come here to ask. I get VERY pale stools from milk (whole or skim), granted I am drinking a lot of it. I normally drink whole milk and not skim, but both of them give me pale stools. Right now I am experimenting with one gallon of whole milk per day and nothing else. My stools are a light yellowish beige. I have read that pale stools are often an indication that the liver is not making enough bile. Is this also the case with milk, or dose milk normally produce very pale stools? Like I said this is whole milk, which contains fats and should stimulate bile production. Also, the stools appear very clay-like. Thanks for any advice!
Do they float or sink? I think that is a good way to tell if you're digesting fat. Float = low fat digestion?
Maybe try having an oxbile with the milk and see if it changes anything?

username

I get the same stool when I eat large amounts of farmer's cheese. I think I get the same when I drink lots of milk too, but I haven't really done that in a while.

I'm guessing it's fine, but I don't know for sure. I think Peat has said pale stools are fine.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
insufficient iron / excess calcium
Interesting. Though it also happens when I have a good amount of milk (~1/2 gallon) with a lot of red meat (~500 grams).
Do they float or sink? I think that is a good way to tell if you're digesting fat. Float = low fat digestion?
Maybe try having an oxbile with the milk and see if it changes anything?
They sink.

I was just surprised not to hear a whole lot about pale stools from milk in this forum because of the amount of milk many people drink around here. Even if I consume ~1.5 quarts in a day with lots of other foods (mostly red meat) I will get very pale stools. I use that amount for the example because I rarely would have less if I were to consume milk.

MitchMitchell

But calcium inhibits iron absorption like nothing else so if you’re sensitive, the proper quantity Of milk is... zero

username

But calcium inhibits iron absorption like nothing else so if you’re sensitive, the proper quantity Of milk is... zero
Peat is pretty emphatic about the calcium:phosphorous ratio and also limiting iron. Would separating milk consumption from meals with red meat suffice?

Smitty

Sorry to revive this thread. I too, have found that even small quantities of milk – 2 cups a day, 1 cup of yogurt, and a block of cheese result in pale stools. It still sinks and is of no foul odour. I experience no negative digestive issues otherwise with dairy. When I discontinue the milk my stool returns to a typical healthy color the following day.

To stimulate bile flow I've regularly taken taurine, dark chocolate, coffee, and ox bile.. but to no avail. If anyone has insight as to why this happens or if it's of any sort of hinderance to my health, I'd really appreciate it.