Falcarinol (Carrot) Is Protective Against Endotoxin (LPS)

Limon9

Anyone familiar with Dr. Peat's writings about carbon monoxide should stop and consider the effect on heme-oxygenase here. By acting as cytotoxins, plant compounds have numerous and ostensibly conflicting effects, even if the net effect is beneficial. The results of this study are positive, and there is an epidemiological inverse association between carrot consumption and colon/digestive cancers. I feel like my posts get overlong with quotations so I've just put the abstract and the carrot falcarinol content. They didn't allometrically scale their "suggested" human dose and thus suggest 300mg of falcarinol instead of a modest 20-40mg. (/~12 for mouse->human)

Dietary polyacetylene falcarinol upregulated intestinal heme oxygenase-1 and modified plasma cytokine profile in late phase lipopolysaccharide-induced acute inflammation in CB57BL/6 mice
Nutr Res. 2020 Aug;80:89-105. Stefanson A, Bakovic M.
"The aim of this study was to investigate the hypothesis that polyacetylene falcarinol reduces intestinal inflammation and examine its similarity of effect to isothiocyanate R - sulforaphane, during the late phase of acute inflammation. To this end, three month old male CB57BL/6 mice were fed twice daily for one week with 5 mg/kg of either FA, SF or vehicle before receiving an intraperitoneal injection of 5 mg/kg endotoxin (lipopolysaccharide) to induce modest acute inflammation. The expression of intestinal and hepatic heme oxygenase -1 at the mRNA and protein levels, circulating cytokines, as well as intestinal and mesenteric n -6 and n -3 fatty acid lipid mediators were compared 24 hours after LPS administration to examine their effects on the late phase of inflammation. Intestinal Nrf2 target enzyme heme oxygenase -1 was upregulated 8.42 -fold at the mRNA level and 10.7 -fold at the protein level by falcarinol supplemented diet. However, the falcarinol-supplemented diet produced a unique type -2 plasma cytokine skew after LPS treatment. Plasma cytokines IL -4, IL -13, IL -9 and IL -10 were upregulated, reflecting the cytokine profile of reduced type -1 inflammation. A detailed lipidomic analysis of n -6 and n -3 fatty acid pro - and anti - inflammatory pathways in the mesentery and intestinal mucosa showed that falcarinol diet was more similar to the control groups than to other LPS treated groups. In this study we demonstrated that falcarinol-supplemented diet produced a unique immunomodulatory effect not observed with sulforaphane in late phases of inflammation. These results support the hypothesis that falcarinol may have role as a dietary immunosuppressant in patients with inflammatory gastrointestinal as well as other inflammatory disorders that may be alleviated by increasing carrot consumption or other falcarinol-containing food sources."
"Carrot falcarinol has been reported between 0.6 -6.7 mg/100g fresh weight (FW) [6 –9], and typically varies between 100 -600 mg/kg dry weight (DW) but has been reported as high as 1553 mg/kg DW [3 –5,10 –14]."

joaquin

Anyone familiar with Dr. Peat's writings about carbon monoxide should stop and consider the effect on heme-oxygenase here. By acting as cytotoxins, plant compounds have numerous and ostensibly conflicting effects, even if the net effect is beneficial. The results of this study are positive, and there is an epidemiological inverse association between carrot consumption and colon/digestive cancers. I feel like my posts get overlong with quotations so I've just put the abstract and the carrot falcarinol content. They didn't allometrically scale their "suggested" human dose and thus suggest 300mg of falcarinol instead of a modest 20-40mg. (/~12 for mouse->human)

Dietary polyacetylene falcarinol upregulated intestinal heme oxygenase-1 and modified plasma cytokine profile in late phase lipopolysaccharide-induced acute inflammation in CB57BL/6 mice
Nutr Res. 2020 Aug;80:89-105. Stefanson A, Bakovic M.
Good find. The raw carrot has been one of the best Peat things I've learned. Were the carrot raw in this piece?

OP
Limon9

Limon9

Good find. The raw carrot has been one of the best Peat things I've learned. Were the carrot raw in this piece?
They just used the isolated compound, but there are other studies giving mice dried carrot extracts. Falcarinol is said to be light/heat sensitive.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals