Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) Is Endotoxin (LPS / TLR4) Antagonist

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is just a follow up on the recent post on both riboflavin and vitamin D.
Vitamin B2 Remarkably Effective Against Endotoxin, Sepsis, And Other Bacterial Infections
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...gonist-may-treat-lps-linked-conditions.12060/

Endotoxin (TLR4) antagonists are very beneficial substances and the more we have in our arsenal the more opportunity for successfully treating inflammation-related conditions.

Immunomodulatory effect of riboflavin deficiency and enrichment - reversible pathological response versus silencing of inflammatory activation. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Mouse macrophage RAW 264.7 cells were cultured for 5 days in a medium with a riboflavin concentration corresponding to moderate riboflavin deficiency (3.1 nM), physiological state (10.4 nM), or vitamin pill supplementation (300 nM). On the third or fourth day of deprivation, the medium in some groups was supplemented with riboflavin (300 nM). Macrophages activation were assessed after LPS or zymosan stimulation. Short-term (5 days) riboflavin deprivation resulted in the pathological macrophages activation, manifested especially in a reduction of cell viability and excess release of tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) and high-mobility group box 1 (HMGB1) protein. Moreover, the levels of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), nitric oxide (NO), heat shock protein (Hsp72), interleukin 1β (IL-1β), monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1), and interleukin 10 (IL-10) decreased after riboflavin deprivation, but medium enrichment with riboflavin (300 nM) on the third or fourth day reversed this effect. In the riboflavin-supplemented group, LPS-stimulated macrophages showed lower mortality accompanied by higher Hsp72 expression, reduction of Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4) and TNF-α, and elevation of NO, IL-6, and IL-10. Moreover, the TLR6, NO, iNOS, IL-1β, MCP-1, and the keratinocyte chemoattractant (KC) levels significantly decreased in the zymosan-stimulated groups maintained in riboflavin-enriched medium. We conclude that short-term riboflavin deficiency significantly impairs the ability of macrophages to induce proper immune response, while riboflavin enrichment decreases the proinflammatory activation of macrophages."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
i believe there is a study using a type of riboflavin that is a powerful antibiotic

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jvms1991/57/4/57_4_599/_pdf

This is really good find. Actually they used plain old vitamin B2 but in very high doses. I guess that is OK given that human trials have found no toxicity and it was used to treat a potentially lethal bacterial infection. The human equivalent dose was about 8mg/kg, which is in the range of 400mg - 800mg used clinically for conditions like migraine or dementia.

blob69

This is really good find. Actually they used plain old vitamin B2 but in very high doses. I guess that is OK given that human trials have found no toxicity and it was used to treat a potentially lethal bacterial infection. The human equivalent dose was about 8mg/kg, which is in the range of 400mg - 800mg used clinically for conditions like migraine or dementia.

@haidut, what are your thoughts about Peat mentioning riboflavin among seriously dangerous supplements?

"Over the next 20 years, my own increased sensitivity to synthetic ascorbate led me to look for such reactions in others. The same people who reacted to it often reacted similarly to riboflavin and rutin, which were also made from cornstarch by oxidation. I ascribed the reaction to some industrial contaminant that they had in common, possibly the heavy metals introduced with the sulfuric acid. The heavy metal contamination of synthetic ascorbate is so great that one 500 mg tablet dissolved in a liter of water produces free radicals at a rate that would require a killing dose of x-rays to equal. The only clean and safe vitamin C now available is that in fresh fruits, meats, etc. The commercial stuff is seriously dangerous." - RP

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Ive read that riboflavin can be a 5ar inhibitor. Should this be a concern with high doses?

These were in vitro studies. In vivo studies did not discover change in hormonal balance except possible lower serotonin and estrogen.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut, what are your thoughts about Peat mentioning riboflavin among seriously dangerous supplements?

"Over the next 20 years, my own increased sensitivity to synthetic ascorbate led me to look for such reactions in others. The same people who reacted to it often reacted similarly to riboflavin and rutin, which were also made from cornstarch by oxidation. I ascribed the reaction to some industrial contaminant that they had in common, possibly the heavy metals introduced with the sulfuric acid. The heavy metal contamination of synthetic ascorbate is so great that one 500 mg tablet dissolved in a liter of water produces free radicals at a rate that would require a killing dose of x-rays to equal. The only clean and safe vitamin C now available is that in fresh fruits, meats, etc. The commercial stuff is seriously dangerous." - RP

I echo his concerns but the stuff we get from the chemical vendors certified as USP and pharma-grade seems to be pretty harmless. So far, nobody (known on wood) has reported allergic side effects from our supplement Energin, which uses the high-purity B2.

blob69

I echo his concerns but the stuff we get from the chemical vendors certified as USP and pharma-grade seems to be pretty harmless. So far, nobody (known on wood) has reported allergic side effects from our supplement Energin, which uses the high-purity B2.

Thanks haidut, that's good to hear! I definitely trust your products above all others.

Philomath

Is the antibiotic nature of riboflavin due to its ability to increase metabolism, and thereby improve the body's own natural defenses? Or does riboflavin kill macrophages on its own?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is the antibiotic nature of riboflavin due to its ability to increase metabolism, and thereby improve the body's own natural defenses? Or does riboflavin kill macrophages on its own?

I suspect it is due to the increased generations of ROS. Methylene blue, especially in combination with red light has the same mechanism of action against bacteria. So, lower doses riboflavin and MB, especially when combined with red light may be able to achieve what the high doses did in that study.

shepherdgirl

this from Nitric Oxide, Nitrates, Nitrites, And Fluoride, KMUD, 2015:

RP: I always recommend eggs and liver as the easiest way to get both trace minerals and vitamins. But you can look at food charts and find things that are not necessarily as good. But you can put together a diet with a high content of certain vitamins. Vit B2 is one that I've seen lot of serious deficiencies; people with red noses, rosacea, nose bleeds, some mood problems for memory and such. You can’t use oxygen if you’re deficient in Vit B2. But besides the fact that the synthetics are so allergenic for a lot of people, if you take up a very large amount (some of the pills have 50 or 100mg in each tablet), it can reach the level in your skin and your eyes where it sensitizes you to the sunlight. Even blue light will react with riboflavin in your eyes and skin, causing free radical change.

HD: B vitamins are water soluble vitamins that cannot be stored. What kind of dosage would you recommend for Vit B2 ?

RP: 5 or 10mg per day.

TubZy

RP: I always recommend eggs and liver as the easiest way to get both trace minerals and vitamins. But you can look at food charts and find things that are not necessarily as good. But you can put together a diet with a high content of certain vitamins. Vit B2 is one that I've seen lot of serious deficiencies; people with red noses, rosacea, nose bleeds, some mood problems for memory and such. You can’t use oxygen if you’re deficient in Vit B2. But besides the fact that the synthetics are so allergenic for a lot of people, if you take up a very large amount (some of the pills have 50 or 100mg in each tablet), it can reach the level in your skin and your eyes where it sensitizes you to the sunlight. Even blue light will react with riboflavin in your eyes and skin, causing free radical change.

HD: B vitamins are water soluble vitamins that cannot be stored. What kind of dosage would you recommend for Vit B2 ?

Was he referring to R5P or regular riboflavin in that dosage?

EIRE24

Wow, maybe b2 and the other B vitamins could be crucial for clearing my stubborn acne. Something I definitely need to look into

shepherdgirl

Wow, maybe b2 and the other B vitamins could be crucial for clearing my stubborn acne. Something I definitely need to look into
I have been sun sensitive for at least a few years. I have recently been taking i think 2x50mg b2 per day, and i notice that i am still sun sensitive, perhaps even more so. Based on what Dr. Peat said in this quote I am thinking of cutting my dosage - maybe i can find the happy medium between not enough and too much.

schultz

I was thinking about the thread where we were discussing NAFLD in regards to endotoxin. I suppose, considering what you have posted on this thread, that B2 would have some protection against fatty liver?

Thinking about the average Western diet, high in refined foods and inadequate in micro nutrients like B2, but also high in calories, it's not hard to see how NAFLD is becoming a problem.

Get your freaking vitamins people!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals