Nicotine, pro- or anti-inflammatory ?

bagotage

@HighT Thanks! Yeah, that Krumovgrad looks much nicer than the Burley, I'm excited to try it.

Jessie

The cholinergic effects may be something a large portion of the population wouldn't nesseciarly benefit from. That may be unironically less of a concern for us, though. Considering the bioenergetic spin on health pushes us more in an anticholinergic direction. In fact, getting too much anticholinergic activity would be bad as well. Something like nicotine (tobacco), B12, or choline may be useful if you're using a lot of anticholinergics.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Great stufy, done on rats, showing nicotine's pro-metabolic effects.

Nictotine increased UCP1and body temperature ,while maintaining muscle mass, especially on a high fat diet.
It also lowered liver fat (by about 50%) and inflammation.

youngsinatra

Great stufy, done on rats, showing nicotine's pro-metabolic effects.

Nictotine increased UCP1and body temperature ,while maintaining muscle mass, especially on a high fat diet.
It also lowered liver fat (by about 50%) and inflammation.

Wow, great find.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Anybody tried combining caffeine and nictotine?

They might synergize and caffeine lowers COX2 ,so should make nicotine safer.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

After reading this review for the last week or so ,I think I got a better understanding of what nictoine does.
It talks about the exact same question as this thread and I think everyone, who thinks about using nicotine, should read it.

I agree with the author's statement from the abstract:

"According to the data analysis from recent studies in the past 20 years, nicotine exerts much more anti-inflammatory effects than pro-inflammatory ones, especially in ulcerative colitis, arthritis, sepsis, and endotoxemia. On the other hand, in oral inflammation, nicotine promotes and aggravates some diseases such as periodontitis and gingivitis, especially when there are harmful microorganisms in the oral cavity."

- Nicotine in Inflammatory Diseases: Anti-Inflammatory and Pro-Inflammatory Effects

Jessie

If one was wanting to experiment with nicotine, how would you think is the best method? Patches, gum, lozenges, or some other method?

Sherbert

If one was wanting to experiment with nicotine, how would you think is the best method? Patches, gum, lozenges, or some other method?
Patches being topical (not ingested) would probably b the least intrusive/abrasive. Problem is the light est patch would still b too heavy a dose given that haidut said something like a ~1/4 of a cigarette would b the max daily amount of nicotine before the risk s out weigh the benefits. Guess you could cut the patch up but would have to use bandaids to keep on the smaller section s 🚬 😃

Jessie

Patches being topical (not ingested) would probably b the least intrusive/abrasive. Problem is the light est patch would still b too heavy a dose given that haidut said something like a ~1/4 of a cigarette would b the max daily amount of nicotine before the risk s out weigh the benefits. Guess you could cut the patch up but would have to use bandaids to keep on the smaller section s 🚬 😃
Thanks. Yeah I was noticing on the patches some of them have really high amounts in them. Like 15-20mgs. About 1/4th of a cigarette is just a few milligrams at the most.

Of course, I'm assuming the patches are extended release. But even so 10mgs would be enough to last throughout the day.

AlaskaJono

After reading this review for the last week or so ,I think I got a better understanding of what nictoine does.
It talks about the exact same question as this thread and I think everyone, who thinks about using nicotine, should read it.

I agree with the author's statement from the abstract:

"According to the data analysis from recent studies in the past 20 years, nicotine exerts much more anti-inflammatory effects than pro-inflammatory ones, especially in ulcerative colitis, arthritis, sepsis, and endotoxemia. On the other hand, in oral inflammation, nicotine promotes and aggravates some diseases such as periodontitis and gingivitis, especially when there are harmful microorganisms in the oral cavity."

- Nicotine in Inflammatory Diseases: Anti-Inflammatory and Pro-Inflammatory Effects
Somewhere or several wheres in the past few years I read that smokers did not get 'covid'. I don't believe in covid, but.... interesting. It would be fascinating to find out if smokers were less susceptible to dying from the jabs, the old ACE2 receptor situation.... hmmmm.

Sherbert

Thanks. Yeah I was noticing on the patches some of them have really high amounts in them. Like 15-20mgs. About 1/4th of a cigarette is just a few milligrams at the most.

Of course, I'm assuming the patches are extended release. But even so 10mgs would be enough to last throughout the day.
True.. the alternative would be dividing up up a wad of gum or only part ly using a lozenge
lol 😃 obvious I've thought about this at length

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Somewhere or several wheres in the past few years I read that smokers did not get 'covid'. I don't believe in covid, but.... interesting. It would be fascinating to find out if smokers were less susceptible to dying from the jabs, the old ACE2 receptor situation.... hmmmm.
There is evidence for that. Nictoine is anti-viral as well.

I also read that during some earlier plague they noticed that people in tobacco shops wouldnt get it. So many smoked for plague prevention:

"Those employed in the collection of bodies frequently smoked tobacco to avoid catching the plague.”
“For personal disinfections, nothing enjoyed such favor as tobacco; the belief in it was widespread, and even children were made to light up a reaf in pipes. Thomas Hearnes remembers one Tom Rogers telling him that when he was a scholar at Eton in the year that the great plague raged, all the boys smoked in school by order and that he was never whipped so much in his life as he was one morning for not smoking. It was long afterward a tradition that none who kept a tobacconist shop in London had the plague.”
- Nicotine & Testosterone: Is Smoking Tobacco Bad for Men?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I use topical application of liquid nicotine. Just 1mg.

Sherbert

There is evidence for that. Nictoine is anti-viral as well.

I also read that during some earlier plague they noticed that people in tobacco shops wouldnt get it. So many smoked for plague prevention:

"Those employed in the collection of bodies frequently smoked tobacco to avoid catching the plague.”
“For personal disinfections, nothing enjoyed such favor as tobacco; the belief in it was widespread, and even children were made to light up a reaf in pipes. Thomas Hearnes remembers one Tom Rogers telling him that when he was a scholar at Eton in the year that the great plague raged, all the boys smoked in school by order and that he was never whipped so much in his life as he was one morning for not smoking. It was long afterward a tradition that none who kept a tobacconist shop in London had the plague.”
- Nicotine & Testosterone: Is Smoking Tobacco Bad for Men?
This is fascinating.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

bagotage

I never see anyone mention tea, but I put one or two small tobacco leaves in my morning tea blend every day.

I suspect there are synergistic effects with the tobacco plant, that are not present when using isolated nicotine extracts.

In Tao Lin's Leave Society he mentions drinking "tobacco water," so I suspect he's doing some kind of cold-water extraction there, which is what gave me the idea to try putting it in herbal tea.

Jessie

I never see anyone mention tea, but I put one or two small tobacco leaves in my morning tea blend every day.

I suspect there are synergistic effects with the tobacco plant, that are not present when using isolated nicotine extracts.

In Tao Lin's Leave Society he mentions drinking "tobacco water," so I suspect he's doing some kind of cold-water extraction there, which is what gave me the idea to try putting it in herbal tea.
That's interesting, never considered that before. Probably tastes like #$%@. Wonder if you could add a little to ground coffee? I use the "pour over" method, maybe you could just add some tobacco on top of the ground?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals