Nicotine, pro- or anti-inflammatory ?

Mauritio

Nicotine seems to have pro- and anti-inflammatory effects. Its increase in COX2 would be pro inflammatory.

On the other hand nicotine has some interesting anti-endotoxin effects, with endotoxin beeing one the biggest promoters of inflammation in the body.

This study suggests 2 mechanisms of nicotines anti endotoxin effect:

1. Nicotine stimulates α7 nAChR
("Nicotine stimulation of α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (α7 nAChR) powerfully inhibits pro-inflammatory cytokine production in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated macrophages and in experimental models of endotoxemia.")

2. Nicotine increases IRAK-M a kinase which lowers TLR related immune response a.k.a. inflammation.

Interestingly nicotine resulted in a state of "endotoxin intolerance" where endotoxin caused less of an inflammatory response.

Other studies:

Nicotine increases cox-2

Apigenin / orange juice to the rescue!
"Apigenin significantly inhibited the nicotine- and LPS-induced production of NO, PGE2, IL-1beta, TNF-alpha, IL-6, and IL-12, and the upregulation of iNOS and COX-2 in hPDL cells."

Nicotine is anti-endotoxin:

Limon9

Volkheimer found that cigarette-smoking nearly tripled the persorption of starch granules, much like caffeine. The inhaled nitric oxide[1][2] surely makes a difference, as your studies were in-vitro or used pure nicotine (rat-sized cigarettes, for comparison?)

[1] Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1993 Aug 1;90(15):7240-4. Nitric oxide activates cyclooxygenase enzymes. Salvemini D, Misko TP, Masferrer JL, Seibert K, Currie MG, Needleman P.
[2] Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1996 Dec 24;93(26):15069-74. Peroxynitrite, the coupling product of nitric oxide and superoxide, activates prostaglandin biosynthesis. Landino LM, Crews BC, Timmons MD, Morrow JD, Marnett LJ.

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Volkheimer found that cigarette-smoking nearly tripled the persorption of starch granules, much like caffeine. The inhaled nitric oxide[1][2] surely makes a difference, as your studies were in-vitro or used pure nicotine (rat-sized cigarettes, for comparison?)

[1] Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1993 Aug 1;90(15):7240-4. Nitric oxide activates cyclooxygenase enzymes. Salvemini D, Misko TP, Masferrer JL, Seibert K, Currie MG, Needleman P.
[2] Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1996 Dec 24;93(26):15069-74. Peroxynitrite, the coupling product of nitric oxide and superoxide, activates prostaglandin biosynthesis. Landino LM, Crews BC, Timmons MD, Morrow JD, Marnett LJ.
Cigarette smoke is a completely different ballgame. Its obviously unhealthy.

GTW

Tobacco came to attention in Europe as a result of Jean Nicot who advocated/used it for migraine and skin cancer treatment.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

JamesGatz

Nicotine has to be Net positive honestly

I swear the healthiest and most long lived people I knew that were not on peat were all avid Nicotine addicts

I've been growing tobacco in my house and will continue to add more tobacco plants

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Nicotine has to be Net positive honestly

I swear the healthiest and most long lived people I knew that were not on peat were all avid Nicotine addicts

I've been growing tobacco in my house and will continue to add more tobacco plants
Nicotine I tend to agree. Especially when the dose is kept low.
Smoking is a totally different issue.

There is so many things nicotine tilts in the right direction. I made a little list of pros and cons.

PROS:
- Lowers endotoxin (makes you endotoxin intolerant)
- lowers estrogen (inhibits aromatase)
- increases DHT (by inhibiting its conversion to an estrogenic metabolite)
- increases youth steroids like DHEA and allopregnanolone
- increases gut motility
- has anti-bacterial and anti-viral effects
- increases dopamine profoundly
- increases resting metabolic rate by about 5-10%

CONS:
- addictive/habit forming (especially when the brain is still changing a lot)
- increases cortisol and adrenaline
- increases free fatty acid
- increases COX2
- might increase periodontal disease

IMO the pros outweigh the cons.

It's not as black and white as many people want it to be,rather: nicotin is a mixed bag.

But if you use nicotine tolically and get a big amount of sugar, like orange juice or fruit, with it,I think you might be able to get around most side effects, especially when the dose is kept low (<5mg).
The sugar will lower free fatty acids and cortisol and as per the study above, apigenin can ameliorate the side effects of nicotine like the increase in COX2.
Topical application will reduce gut irritation and mouth exposure.

DaveFoster

It has a biphasic effect with higher amounts leading to increasing sympathetic activation, according to some guy on Peatarian.org a while ago.

Warrior

I wonder if microdosing nicotine (with a synergistic blend) will become the next big thing? I should look into this at some point...

Its an interesting substance when observed at from an energetic and mental health aspect. The problem with cigs is the rest of the crap they put in there. Haven't you ever wondered why its one of the only items on shelves approved for human consumption with no list of ingredients? They wouldn't fit on the box as there is so many. Not to mention the tobacco industry is the second largest buyer of sugar and this is the true cause of addiction/weight gain upon quitting.

No wonder when each one contains about 1/2 a teaspoon of the white stuff because its processed far quicker than nicotine by the CNS and thus provides the immediate hit whilst also activating the formaldehyde and other badness.

Never looked into Vaping but I'm quite certain that that will be another "Whoopsie!" by big business in a few decades when peoples lungs fall off due to all the flavorings and crap they put in there. The idea of heating glycerin to a vapor level then repeatedly inhaling it seems mind boggling as what do you think will happen when it condenses?

Some real sticky, icky. Ooh wee!

HighT

No wonder when each one contains about 1/2 a teaspoon of the white stuff because its processed far quicker than nicotine by the CNS and thus provides the immediate hit whilst also activating the formaldehyde and other badness.
Yes and the most of nicotine is concentrated in the top bit of cigarrete thus people look for the next cigarette to get the hit.

What strains you are growing. BTW indoor tobacco isn't of good quality, try to grow it outside even if its not in the ground but in large pots. Doesn't matter where you are, tobacco grows well even in scandinavia. 5-10 plant will give you enough for the year.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

It has a biphasic effect with higher amounts leading to increasing sympathetic activation, according to some guy on Peatarian.org a while ago.
Would make sense.
In most studies low doses are beneficial or at least not detrimental and high doses either very beneficial or detrimental.

But I'm not sure if it doesnt also increase sympathetic activation in smaller doses. At least when there is no habituation to nicotine. Maybe with time that increased sympathetic response goes away.

Inaut

What does everybody think about a nicotine inhaler? Ingredients look fairly benign and may be able to achieve micro dose amounts.

DaveFoster

Would make sense.
In most studies low doses are beneficial or at least not detrimental and high doses either very beneficial or detrimental.

But I'm not sure if it doesnt also increase sympathetic activation in smaller doses. At least when there is no habituation to nicotine. Maybe with time that increased sympathetic response goes away.
I think it's harmful regardless of the dosage, but the risk benefit ratio dramatically increases with a higher dosage.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

AlaskaJono

Just my 2 cents, 30+ years ago a Professor stated in class that tobacco was one of the most perfect drugs - CAVEAT : but only in the correct dosage. (low!!!).

Nicotine is just one of the constituents of tobacco, yes of course the main ingredient, but also there are others. Through the grapevine I did get some pure unadulterated tobacco many many years ago. Grown and cured without chemicals, and it was extremely strong. (And I was used to American Spirit strength at that time. )

bagotage

Thoughts on this?
Organic Tobacco Leaf - USDA Certified Organic Burley Whole Leaf Tobacco

I've been buying it for a year or so now and using it to roll my own cigarettes occasionally, as well as putting it in tea. Be careful if you make a tea—I gave myself serotonin syndrome, or some type of nausea, when I made it too strong, heh. It's definitely very high-nicotine, though, I can tell.

No idea where/how it's grown, or how "organic" it is, but it's gotta be better than commercial cigs.

joaquin

@JamesGatz how are you growing tobacco in your house? Aren't those difficult to grow indoors? And don't the leaves get rather large. You have to hang them upside down in large vented rooms. What is your set up like?

HighT

@bagotage , I have bought from this site before. Some strains need more aging for my taste, but they sell good quality tobacco overall.
I recommend you to try Krumovgrad. It is Bulgarian breed. Doesn't give throat kick but flavour and aroma are out of this world.
Burley is too strong for most people to be smoked on its own. A clasicall blend would be 3 parts Virginia 2 parts Burley and 1 part Krumovgrad.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals