Extremely dry, dehydrated and inflamed skin. Need help please!

dervmai

progress
I have dry dehydrated skin and it’s been causing me a lot of issues. I have scalp dermatitis and eczema flare ups on my body. I’m so lost and confused.

My labs showed a couple of issues. High reverse t3, but high t4 but low t3. Indicating a conversion issue. Been supplementing 25 mcg of t3 to try to fix this.

I also had a b1 deficiency. I had a forum post around these topics and mostlylurking said it could be caused by my mercury fillings which I am in the process of trying to fix.

I use ACV for the seb derm on my scalp, and shampoo with a very gentle shampoo bar, I also oil my scalp before shampooing. But my inflammation is still present.

I am led to believe I might have gut issues. Possibly candida which could be explained by my bad diet as a kid and even the mercury fillings. My previous posts have a thread on this.

I take magnesium, a trace mineral supplement, and probiotics, as well as b1 and crypro.

I eat potatoes, grass fed meats, butter, and a small amount of veggies and occasional fruits.

I don’t know if I have histamine issues or something else, I’m just very lost on where to begin to try and course correct.

Any thoughts and opinions are really appreciated!

FrostedShores

I've struggled with skin issues, including eczema, my entire life. Some things that have helped:

-Getting adequate protein. I think Peat recommended ~80g a day, but I've found I do much better on twice that, sometimes getting as high as 220g. I'm also 6'5, so my protein needs are probably higher than most people, but I'd still recommend at least trying a higher protein amount and seeing how you react. I get most of my protein from dairy sources, but dairy can cause problems for some people.

-B vitamins. You already mentioned B1, but I wouldn't ignore the other B's either. If you struggle to get enough B vitamins through diet alone, consider trying a quality B-complex.

-Magnesium & potassium. Increasing each of these has helped both my skin and my digestion.

-Avoid allergens & additives. Gluten bothers me, and some common additives such as citric acid and carrageenan have caused eczema flare-ups. Also, high histamine foods can cause issues - basically, anything fermented or dried.

-Saturated fat & cholesterol. Both of these help with proper hormone production, which will in turn help with skin health. If you tolerate eggs, I'd recommend eating at least two a day. I eat about six a day, but that may be too many for some people.

-And finally, be very careful what you put on your skin. I use 100% pure glycerin soap in the shower, then moisturize with pure aloe vera and jojoba oil. I've found the fewer things I put on my skin, the better it does.

There are probably a lot of other things to consider, as well, but those are the main things that have benefited me.

peter88

High dose b1 can deplete other b vitamins like b6 which is very important for skin health.

HeyThere

I have dry dehydrated skin and it’s been causing me a lot of issues. I have scalp dermatitis and eczema flare ups on my body. I’m so lost and confused.

My labs showed a couple of issues. High reverse t3, but high t4 but low t3. Indicating a conversion issue. Been supplementing 25 mcg of t3 to try to fix this.

I also had a b1 deficiency. I had a forum post around these topics and mostlylurking said it could be caused by my mercury fillings which I am in the process of trying to fix.

I use ACV for the seb derm on my scalp, and shampoo with a very gentle shampoo bar, I also oil my scalp before shampooing. But my inflammation is still present.

I am led to believe I might have gut issues. Possibly candida which could be explained by my bad diet as a kid and even the mercury fillings. My previous posts have a thread on this.

I take magnesium, a trace mineral supplement, and probiotics, as well as b1 and crypro.

I eat potatoes, grass fed meats, butter, and a small amount of veggies and occasional fruits.

I don’t know if I have histamine issues or something else, I’m just very lost on where to begin to try and course correct.

I know this is "AntI pEaT" but... Omega-3. Sorry, but it's true. Will also help with the candida issue.

GTW

Skin barrier function is more dependent on Omega 6, linoleic acid. Although linolenate in flax and chia sometimes helpful if you don't respond negatively to them. Cottage cheese and flax?

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
I've struggled with skin issues, including eczema, my entire life. Some things that have helped:

-Getting adequate protein. I think Peat recommended ~80g a day, but I've found I do much better on twice that, sometimes getting as high as 220g. I'm also 6'5, so my protein needs are probably higher than most people, but I'd still recommend at least trying a higher protein amount and seeing how you react. I get most of my protein from dairy sources, but dairy can cause problems for some people.

-B vitamins. You already mentioned B1, but I wouldn't ignore the other B's either. If you struggle to get enough B vitamins through diet alone, consider trying a quality B-complex.

-Magnesium & potassium. Increasing each of these has helped both my skin and my digestion.

-Avoid allergens & additives. Gluten bothers me, and some common additives such as citric acid and carrageenan have caused eczema flare-ups. Also, high histamine foods can cause issues - basically, anything fermented or dried.

-Saturated fat & cholesterol. Both of these help with proper hormone production, which will in turn help with skin health. If you tolerate eggs, I'd recommend eating at least two a day. I eat about six a day, but that may be too many for some people.

-And finally, be very careful what you put on your skin. I use 100% pure glycerin soap in the shower, then moisturize with pure aloe vera and jojoba oil. I've found the fewer things I put on my skin, the better it does.

There are probably a lot of other things to consider, as well, but those are the main things that have benefited me.
Are you cured?

FrostedShores

Are you cured?
I wouldn't say I'm cured, but my skin is significantly better than it used to be. As long as I'm consistent with my diet and careful about what gets on my skin, then I don't have any issues. Occasionally, I'll eat something that causes a flare-up or I'll come into contact with something that dries my skin out and causes breakouts. I don't think there is a cure for eczema.

PopSocket

Have you checked your vit D levels ? Does lots of Sun help the condition ?

Try using raw honey as a face wash. I love it! Not only is it gentle and natural, but the residue it leaves behind is nutrients. I have been giving my face honey masks for about three years now and my skin has never looked better.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals