Flaky Skin Since Improving My Diet - Any Help?

Francesca123

24 Female

Been following Peat's ideas for 2 years now and my skin has taken a hit.

My facial skin is so flaky. You can't see the flakes but if I scratch or rub my face lots of white flakes fall off. The areas affected are my forehead running down to my nasolabial folds. The rest of my face is really soft and normal. Before changing my diet my skin was normal, not dry or oily.

I have considered whether it might be seborrheic dermititis because I sometimes get a mild case of this on my scalp but my skin isn't greasy.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Kartoffel

24 Female

Been following Peat's ideas for 2 years now and my skin has taken a hit.

My facial skin is so flaky. You can't see the flakes but if I scratch or rub my face lots of white flakes fall off. The areas affected are my forehead running down to my nasolabial folds. The rest of my face is really soft and normal. Before changing my diet my skin was normal, not dry or oily.

I have considered whether it might be seborrheic dermititis because I sometimes get a mild case of this on my scalp but my skin isn't greasy.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Do you have carotene accumulations on your palms, feet, other places?

OP
F

Francesca123

Do you have carotene accumulations on your palms, feet, other places?
Sadly yes. I was underweight for 4 years from 17-21 and didn't have a period during that time. My whole body was yellow from dieting induced hypothyroidism but this disappeared when I gained weight. My thyroid seems good as I don't have hypo symptoms. Despite this, I still have a yellowish tinge to my hands when I stretch them. However, it has improved slightly over the years.

Kartoffel

Sadly yes. I was underweight for 4 years from 17-21 and didn't have a period during that time. My whole body was yellow from dieting induced hypothyroidism but this disappeared when I gained weight. My thyroid seems good as I don't have hypo symptoms. Despite this, I still have a yellowish tinge to my hands when I stretch them. However, it has improved slightly over the years.

The flaky skin might just be a results of carotene turnover. At one point I ate too many carrots and started getting orange spots on my hands and feet. When I stopped, and switched to bamboo shoots, the orange spots started fading away. At the same time, I got flaky skin at exactely the same spots you describe. It only lasted a few weeks, and my skin is now smoother finer than before it started getting flaky.

OP
F

Francesca123

The flaky skin might just be a results of carotene turnover. At one point I ate too many carrots and started getting orange spots on my hands and feet. When I stopped, and switched to bamboo shoots, the orange spots started fading away. At the same time, I got flaky skin at exactely the same spots you describe. It only lasted a few weeks, and my skin is now smoother finer than before it started getting flaky.

That's so interesting. I wasn't expecting that. Thank you for sharing your experience

meatbag

I went through a time where I had really dry skin as well, If you're getting 'PUFA depleted' you might need more B6

"In fact, rats may get a skin disease when fed a fat-free diet, but the observation that vitamin B6 cures it should have laid to rest the issue of the dietary essentiality of the polyunsaturated oils more than 50 years ago."
-Membranes, plasma membranes, and surfaces

Could also be needing more vitamin a or zinc. Do you have any other symptoms?

lampofred

This happened to me at first, it might be that if you are high in estrogen and you improve your metabolism, then you get symptoms of B vitamin deficiencies and of cortisol excess like dry skin since estrogen increases need for B vitamins. It actually took me a long time to resolve it, but vitamin A, vitamin D, high animal protein intake, whole milk as opposed to low-fat milk, pregnenolone, progesterone, keeping endotoxin low, gelatin, everything that is calming and nourishing while also being anti-prolactin/anti-estrogen helped.

OP
F

Francesca123

This happened to me at first, it might be that if you are high in estrogen and you improve your metabolism, then you get symptoms of B vitamin deficiencies and of cortisol excess like dry skin since estrogen increases need for B vitamins. It actually took me a long time to resolve it, but vitamin A, vitamin D, high animal protein intake, whole milk as opposed to low-fat milk, pregnenolone, progesterone, keeping endotoxin low, gelatin, everything that is calming and nourishing while also being anti-prolactin/anti-estrogen helped.

Thanks for the reply. I will try to monitor my vitamin B intake more closely. Good to know it took you a while to resolve because I think I was expecting a quick resolve. I use 2% milk but might try whole milk as I do actually feel better drinking it.

My facial skin is so flaky. You can't see the flakes but if I scratch or rub my face lots of white flakes fall off.

I had a dry skin thing recently with a red tongue and deeper-than-usual cracks. Half a jar of organic non-roasted peanut butter fixed me right up within an hour of consuming that evening.

Dry skin flaking, dry cough, and red tongue are signs of excess alkalinity. Acidifying foods as listed by morning, noon, and night are here (credit Atom Bergstrom):

Growth Zone One breakfast ACID-ASH foods …
Brazil nut, English walnut, processed coconut

Growth Zone Two lunch ACID-ASH foods …
meat (beef, bacon, chicken, ham, lamb, pork, veal, venison, etc.), some dairy products (cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, etc.), brewer’s yeast, lentil, most grains (rice, wheat, rye, etc.), white bread, most cakes, macaroni, cereals (cornflakes, farina, oatmeal, shredded wheat, etc.), corn, mayonnaise, cranberry, blueberry

Growth Zone Three dinner ACID-ASH foods …
fish, egg, caviar, peanut, peanut butter

dlind70

Love the mention to Atoms work. Atom is around 77 years young as has a ton of research about acidity and alkalinity

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals