Scalp Issues: Itchy, Dry

stressucks

I've been trying out this diet and have seen a lot of benefits. But one thing that's gotten worse is my scalp. Dandruff is much worse than when I was low carb, and it's super itchy and inflamed.

I use shampoo once or twice a week, any more than that and it gets PAINFULLY dry.

What can cause/fix this?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
For me its dermatitis, which for me got a ton worse since Peating and from recent discovery it is directly related to estrogen.

I have my estrogen signs that I know to look out for, dermatitis is one of them. I will be sharing others in a thread coming up. Uggggh this estrogen. :(

OP
S

stressucks

Charlie said:
For me its dermatitis, which for me got a ton worse since Peating and from recent discovery it is directly related to estrogen.

I have my estrogen signs that I know to look out for, dermatitis is one of them. I will be sharing others in a thread coming up. Uggggh this estrogen. :(

This might be me too, it really seems to flare up after drinking/poor sleep.

J

j.

stressucks said:
I eat a lot of carrots

Beta carotene is harmful. When I say vitamin A, I mean vitamin A from animal sources, or the equivalent from supplements.

OP
S

stressucks

j. said:
stressucks said:
I eat a lot of carrots

Beta carotene is harmful. When I say vitamin A, I mean vitamin A from animal sources, or the equivalent from supplements.

I eat oysters 3-5 times a week and a 6 ounces of liver a week.

Peata

I've had itchy scalp problems before starting Peat but they have not improved so far. I feel that it's histamine/estrogen. My itchy area is the hairline on my forehead. I can scratch little scabs into the area if I'm not careful.

I eat liver and oysters every Monday. I try to keep my calcium/phosphorus ratio good. I take bits of Benadryl throughout day and more at night.

Not sure what else to try yet.

OP
S

stressucks

Peata said:
I've had itchy scalp problems before starting Peat but they have not improved so far. I feel that it's histamine/estrogen. My itchy area is the hairline on my forehead. I can scratch little scabs into the area if I'm not careful.

I eat liver and oysters every Monday. I try to keep my calcium/phosphorus ratio good. I take bits of Benadryl throughout day and more at night.

What do you do to keep your calcium/phosphorus ratio good?

J

j.

stressucks said:

Consume more calcium than phosphorus every day, typically done by consuming dairy every day.

AmandaWald

Have you tried applying coconut oil to your scalp and itchy patches? The itchy patches can be caused by a fungus and because CO is anti-fungal it can do wonders with this kind of thing.

My daughter and I both react badly to anything but ultra-mild shampoos and have to periodically use a special shampoo which clears up the problem.

Leave the CO on your scalp for about half an hour and then wash out with a mild shampoo. The accumulated old skin will be gone and the itchiness should also be better. It's worth a try.

I gave this tip to a friend of mine whose then six-year-old son had had a patch of cradle cap since birth which just would NOT go. She finally got hold of some CO, used it and told me it had worked a treat!

There are some testimonials here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.p ... 246&page=6

If you look at that page, you'll see that one guy just made himself an account on the forum in order to say thank you!

Hope this helps,

amanda

Peata

stressucks said:
Peata said:

Milk.

OP
S

stressucks

Peata said:
stressucks said:
Peata said:

Milk.

Thanks guys. I don't do milk because cows milk gives me sleep apnea. I've tried goats milk in the past and it seems to be ok. I'm going to make it a point to get more of it... wish it wasn't so expensive.

AmandaWald

stressucks said:
How do you define a mild shampoo?

One that is advertised as "hypo-allergenic" or "for sensitive scalps" or one that says it is free of additives and parabens.

I tried a new Head and Shoulders brand called "for itchy scalps", but it didn't really help...

But I did find (here in Germany) a few shampoos for sensitive scalps that have been OK so far for my daughter and me.

Good luck with your search!

amanda

aquaman

Charlie said:

Looking forward to reading this

OP
S

stressucks

This actually has gotten a lot better since I started consuming more milk the past 5 days.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals