Extreme stressful situations

4peatssake

Makrosky said:
When you have an infected tooth, it hurts and drives you crazy for you to know you have to pull it.

When you have a broken finger, it hurts and it won't let you use it until it's healed.

When you bite your tongue accidentally, it hurts so you know you have to be careful.

Have you considered that if you get angry and crazy 100% of the time at work it's a real indication that you should change the job? In the above examples the pain you feel is not for you to think about it, or accept it, or percieve it or anything. It just means : immediate action NOW.

I'm just wondering what do you guys think about this point of view.

Anyway, in my experience if my metabolism/gut isn't working properly no ammount of Eckart Tolle, Mantras or Whatever mental techniques will alleviate the emotional pain caused by external stress.

So I would say somethings than can help you are the usuals : saturated fat, avoiding PUFA, taking good care of the gut, good fruit, good cheese, sunlight and maybe you can try Niacinamide with or without aspirin. Works quite good.
Have you worked much with mantras? I understand that reading Eckhart Tolle or any other book for that matter isn't going to do much. I don't believe we can just pull up our socks and will ourselve into good health lol but my meditation practice and working daily with mantras has had made enormous improvements in my health and well being.

It's a combination of working on the Mind and Body that's been the key to eliminating stress where I can and adapting to it when I cannot.

:2cents

Makrosky

4peatssake said:
It's a combination of working on the Mind and Body that's been the key to eliminating stress where I can and adapting to it when I cannot.

That would be a very good approach I guess. Not purely mental, not purely body. Both.

Never worked with Mantras... I guess you mean indian mantras? Maybe you can provide us some more practical info ?

I've done some spiritual practices that involve repetitive chanting (they're marvelous) but never used them for daily life issues or stress busting issues.

Dean

Nstocks, humanity is devolving and coming apart at the seams. Working in retail is going to put you smack dab in the apex of it. Anyone with any awareness or sense of consciousness would be eaten alive in that environment. Find an off-shift job working in a factory or warehouse, or better yet, work on a way to make enough money to live without having to have a formal job. Maybe go teach English abroad and you would at least be able to amuse yourself observing a different culture and rituals and likely be in a place where a sense of community and cooperation haven't been completely obliterated yet. Hurry.

Makrosky

Dean said:
Nstocks, humanity is devolving and coming apart at the seams. Working in retail is going to put you smack dab in the apex of it. Anyone with any awareness or sense of consciousness would be eaten alive in that environment. Find an off-shift job working in a factory or warehouse, or better yet, work on a way to make enough money to live without having to have a formal job. Maybe go teach English abroad and you would at least be able to amuse yourself observing a different culture and rituals and likely be in a place where a sense of community and cooperation haven't been completely obliterated yet. Hurry.

Thumbs up for this.

4peatssake

Dean said:
Anyone with any awareness or sense of consciousness would be eaten alive in that environment.
Not if they know how to not get eaten. ;)

Overall, agree with your post and it makes the most sense to position oneself in work that you love. But not everyone can do that, hence a need for effective strategies to cope in bad situations.

Dean

4peatssake said:
Dean said:
Anyone with any awareness or sense of consciousness would be eaten alive in that environment.

Overall, agree with your post and it makes the most sense to position oneself in work that you love. But not everyone can do that, hence a need for effective strategies to cope in bad situations.

I'm not really talking about finding a job you love. The odds of that are remote in this day and age, especially if you don't have a rare specialized skill that protects you from exploitation. I'm just talking about basic survival, which is pretty dependent on finding a job that doesn't consume you--at least for people who are aware and conscious to any degree.

4peatssake

Dean said:
4peatssake said:
Dean said:

I'm not really talking about finding a job you love. The odds of that are remote in this day and age, especially if you don't have a rare specialized skill that protects you from exploitation. I'm just talking about basic survival, which is pretty dependent on finding a job that doesn't consume you--at least for people who are aware and conscious to any degree.
Higher states of consciousness provide the ability to not get consumed by one's outer circumstance. That's the point I am trying to make.

It's tough on this planet, that's for darn sure. But one's inner state dictates their degree of emotional equanimity - not their outward circumstance.

I'm not suggesting that one shouldn't work to improve their circumstances but neither would I suggest inner change isn't possible in difficult circumstances.

No offence but I think it places more stress on someone to suggest they best "hurry" and get a new job because the one is they have is going to consume them.

Makrosky

4peatssake said:
Dean said:
4peatssake said:
Dean said:

Higher states of consciousness provide the ability to not get consumed by one's outer circumstance. That's the point I am trying to make.

It's tough on this planet, that's for darn sure. But one's inner state dictates their degree of emotional equanimity - not their outward circumstance.

I'm not suggesting that one shouldn't work to improve their circumstances but neither would I suggest inner change isn't possible in difficult circumstances.

No offence but I think it places more stress on someone to suggest they best "hurry" and get a new job because the one is they have is going to consume them.

Well... This is very wise and has a strong point of truth. However, it is very unpractical. What you propose is a long distance run. First you have to find a master and a "path" to work on your inner self. There's a lot of new age stupid bull**** these days all around, faux therapists and masters of all sorts, etc. It is full of sectarism, authoritarianism, and so on. It's not easy to spot a good technique/master.

Then you have to learn and put into practice that system for an undetermined lapse of time without any guarantee on how it will work and when, if it ever does. On the meanwhile you still get angry and stressed every single day and that for sure consumes you.

Changing job and observing your reaction will quickly give more info about what you really like/don't like. Specially if you're young, don't have a family and or mortgage, don't have major health issues, and specially because it's very easy to find another job like that if you want to go back to retail.

Two strategies can be played : one short-term in the foreground, one long-term in the background.

Dean

4peatssake said:
Dean said:
4peatssake said:
Dean said:

ok, fair enough. I tend to error on the side of honesty, which is one of my weaknesses--admittedly. I agree with the inner state stuff, but getting started in the right direction can be near impossible if you are driven to distraction and degradation by a job that is nothing but a constant assault on your sanity and sensibilities. The alternative jobs I and others have suggested are far from perfect, but at least offer some relief from the most acute pressures.

Dean

Makrosky said:
Well... This is very wise and has a strong point of truth. However, it is very unpractical. What you propose is a long distance run. First you have to find a master and a "path" to work on your inner self. There's a lot of new age stupid bull**** these days all around, faux therapists and masters of all sorts, etc. It is full of sectarism, authoritarianism, and so on. It's not easy to spot a good technique/master.

Then you have to learn and put into practice that system for an undetermined lapse of time without any guarantee on how it will work and when, if it ever does. On the meanwhile you still get angry and stressed every single day and that for sure consumes you.

Changing job and observing your reaction will quickly give more info about what you really like/don't like. Specially if you're young, don't have a family and or mortgage, don't have major health issues, and specially because it's very easy to find another job like that if you want to go back to retail.

Two strategies can be played : one short-term in the foreground, one long-term in the background.

Yeah, that.

4peatssake

Makrosky said:
Well, I certainly know how hard it is to find techniques that work. Lot of trial and error there. But I disagree wholeheartedly about it being impractical. I'd rather build spiritual muscles and be sustained by them than get blown around by external forces.

Makrosky said:

This has a tone of learned helplessness to me. Why bother, it probably won't work. Rather, the effort to move in that direction, to empower yourself from within, is better than giving up because it's difficult and may not work. Earnest forward movement toward choosing to empower oneself from the inside out is the first step in breaking through. If you give up before taking a single step, well then, yes of course it's never going to work.

Makrosky said:
Sure change jobs but not everyone is in a position to do that. And it's not going to change one's ability to respond to stressful situations.

tara

Such_Saturation said:
Nstocks said:
a insecure customer complains that we are laughing.

:roll: :banghead

Nstocks said:
He reported back to me saying not to call him again unless "it's an easier issue"

:banghead :banghead
:yeahthat

There might be other retail jobs where the management are a bit more helpful, while you continue to look for something more satisfying?

Makrosky

4peatssake said:
Makrosky said:
Well, I certainly know how hard it is to find techniques that work. Lot of trial and error there. But I disagree wholeheartedly about it being impractical. I'd rather build spiritual muscles and be sustained by them than get blown around by external forces.

Makrosky said:

This has a tone of learned helplessness to me. Why bother, it probably won't work. Rather, the effort to move in that direction, to empower yourself from within, is better than giving up because it's difficult and may not work. Earnest forward movement toward choosing to empower oneself from the inside out is the first step in breaking through. If you give up before taking a single step, well then, yes of course it's never going to work.

Makrosky said:
Sure change jobs but not everyone is in a position to do that. And it's not going to change one's ability to respond to stressful situations.

Ok. I think our points of view are clear. Not our decision now.

I would be very interested on what techniques you consider have helped you to grow that inner enforcement. You mentioned mantras and meditation but that is very generic!

In the summer, why not go cut the grass with the lawn boys? You sit on a lawn mower all day or hold one, or drive trucks. They always have headphones (or earplugs).

4peatssake

Makrosky said:
Ok. I think our points of view are clear. Not our decision now.
And I don't think our points of view are mutually exclusive. ;)

Makrosky said:
I would be very interested on what techniques you consider have helped you to grow that inner enforcement. You mentioned mantras and meditation but that is very generic!
I PM'd you.

Dean

As long as humans continue to equate acknowledging reality with giving up, we will move faster and faster to our own extinction. There is a certain amount of liberation and empowerment that comes from acknowledging the reality of your situation, including-- and especially-- the hopelessness of it. Not an original thought on my part; Tolle, for one, has said as much. (Nor am I nominating anyone as a potential pied-piper, guru, or "God told me to tell you" filter for anyone, most particularly--myself.)

4peatssake

Dean said:
As long as humans continue to equate acknowledging reality with giving up, we will move faster and faster to our own extinction. There is a certain amount of liberation and empowerment that comes from acknowledging the reality of your situation, including-- and especially-- the hopelessness of it. Not an original thought on my part; Tolle, for one, has said as much. (Nor am I nominating anyone as a potential pied-piper, guru, or "God told me to tell you" filter for anyone, most particularly--myself.)
Well I daresay OP's situation isn't hopeless.
He asked for ways to reduce stress at work.

So how we got to worldwide denial of reality and humanity's extinction is beyond me. :lol:

Dean

4peatssake said:
Dean said:
Well I daresay OP's situation isn't hopeless.
He asked for ways to reduce stress at work.

So how we got to worldwide denial of reality and humanity's extinction is beyond me. :lol:

LOL...yeah, sorry. Let's keep everything neatly in their respective compartments. Deniable plausibility is a godsend... and our saving grace.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals