Feeling/Looking worse after more sleep?

DKayJoe

Hi all, for the past 4 or so years I've been running on roughly 6 hours sleep a day/night with the occasional 40-60 hour stint of sleep deprivation (busy schedule, college in day work at night), whilst I'm certain it has had absolutely no beneficial effects on my body I could survive on this much and was even very active (moreso than 95% of people I work with).

The past week or so college has died down and I have been leaving the power wire for my computer at work so that when I get home I am more inclined to just go to bed (which has been working fantastically), however, when I wake up now it seems to take me a couple of hours to actually get with it. Also the bags under my eyes are now more prominent than before and I seem to be more fatigued throughout work. On the other hand my hands don't seem to be as cold as often and I feel like I'm not running on as much adrenaline as I used to.

Does anyone have any explanations for this? The only thing I can think of is that my body is thinking due to the extra few hours it can spend more time healing and maybe I'm interrupting this process prematurely? Like now that I'm getting 8 hours in my body is thinking I can stretch to 10 or so which isn't happening and thus, my body is suffering for it?

I'm not inclined to give the extra hours sleep up but am still puzzled by this reaction, has anyone had a similar experience and will it die down?

mt_dreams

Like you mentioned, the main reason is that by getting more sleep, your body isn't running as much on things like cortisol, adrenaline, etc. this transition may take a little time to regulate, but in the end is a better long term plan. In the past people would easily get 10 hours of sleep during winter, so its not something foreign to the body. Nice work in noticing your hand & feet temp. Obviously your energy level is suffering, but that's a good sign the body is powering up.

I've had some success using vitamin E under my eyes, but sometimes this has not worked. A friend of mine told me if I use a higher pillow i might not get bags under my eyes, but this doesn't jive well with my sleeping position.

On a somewhat related note, we're currently in the new moon phase, and I usually have little less energy in the 2-3 days before & after a new moon.

pboy

perhaps if you're used to eating just before you sleep and right when you get up, the extra sleep is simply depleting glycocen whereas before you woke before that happened. Its also likely what was said above, its interrupting a normal cortisol adrenaline cycle you're running on. If you're life seems like major burden of time and energy and feels to a degree that its draining the life out of you then the body might be in such a state all (or a lot of ) the time. If it was a joy, that probly wouldn't be the reason, or if it was not bad to where it didn't matter to you that you had to do it. In those cases, less sleep is needed. It could also just be a GI issue unrelated to time and energy, bags under eyes are almost always related to GI backup, either of actual stool, or of salt, or of fat soluble bile toxins that aren't able to be eliminated and keep circulating