How can I stay up for 2 days?

pepsi

I work nights 10pm to 6am and I just got another part time job on the weekends from 10am to 7pm because I need the extra money.
My first job is 4 days on and 2 days off, so some weeks my night schedule will fall over the entire weekend which will make it hard since
I may only get 1 or 2 hours of sleep in between shifts. My hardest week will be working from 10pm friday night to 6am monday morning(56 hours with 1 or 2 hours of sleep/rest in between shifts).

Is this possible for someone to do? I will have plenty of time to rest during the week and these hard weeks will be 2 or 3 each 7 weeks.
I allready worked 2 shifts with no sleep and it was easier than I thought but I know working 5 shifts over 2 days is much harder.

Is it doable? Any tips?

Stilgar

Ha, no idea if it is doable, it sounds horrible.

Do you take thyroid supps normally?

My tip would be to dose a little thyroid on your easy days and extra thyroid (i do t3/t4 ndt) on the days you have to be awake with less than 1 hour's sleep. I use it like a gentle and warming stimulant, if I am stressed out or tired. Be careful not to overdo it. Take taurine, caffeine, sugar and eat VERY easily digestible foods and lots of protein. If I have any starch on a post all-nighter day, or generally a little too much food, I feel trashed and an overwhelming urge to sleep. In any normal day these would be good signals to follow - eat and sleep - but obviously you would be trying to override such urges, at the cost of your health, if only temporarily.

It sort of relies on taking advantage of your sensitivity to adrenaline. If you have been on thyroid for some time, or you take regular doses, this may not work for you.

And look after yourself in the week. :)

jyb

You might get a light deficiency since you'd be up at night and sleeping half of the day. Red light deficiency and excess blue light from the office lights and computer screens.

If you read Peat on light, lack of light in winter is a major cause of hypothyroidism. You'd be simulating winter by working at night. Getting powerful lights at home as described on the forum might limit the harm.

aguilaroja

christina said:
I work nights 10pm to 6am and I just got another part time job on the weekends from 10am to 7pm ....
My first job is 4 days on and 2 days off...
I may only get 1 or 2 hours of sleep in between shifts. My hardest week will be working from 10pm friday night to 6am monday morning(56 hours with 1 or 2 hours of sleep/rest in between shifts).

I already worked 2 shifts with no sleep and it was easier than I thought but I know working 5 shifts over 2 days is much harder.

While there are different research findings to support the views below, I am going to give a personal account. While I am confident Dr. Peat places great importance on the restorative functions of sleep and rest, the views below are not especially Peat-y, but in accord with recent sleep science.

What you describe may be "do-able" in the short term, but in the long term will be hazardous to your safety, well being, health, and clarity of thinking. I say all this as one with long and recent experience with overnight jobs, overwork for months and years, and changing shifts frequently.

I am clear that in rough economic times, many people are being subject to inhumane work conditions. It is a shame for people and civilization.

There are two big problems: overall sleep debt and the strain of switching back and forth between day & night schedules.

Prolonged darkness is a further severe metabolic strain, long illuminated (pun intended) by Dr. Peat.

Sleep debt is what it sounds like: the cumulative loss of sleep over time, not a day or two of sleeping "less than 8 hours."

Two or more days with little or no sleep will drastically impair judgement and performance. It would be the equivalent of driving recklessly drunk, or even worse. Eliminate or minimize driving and and critical actions/decision making until you can sleep enough to substantially repay this debt, not just have one night with 8 hours of sleep.

If you must go through a sleep debt gauntlet, nap as often as you can, even if you have to nap at a friend's or sleep in the car (in a safe location) rather than go home between shifts. Of course, be safe and comfortable as possible, and cover the eyes/reduce stimuli as possible during nap time. Make as much time as you can after sleep deprivation to catch up on sleep ("Repay the debt").

The best treatment for sleep debt is sleep. Of course there are restorative measure while postponing sleep, and while replenishing sleep.

PLEASE understand that switching frequently between daytime and night-time schedules can be EVEN more jarring than sleep debt alone. I have done both and switching back and forth between day and night work schedules is truly awful. It is best to minimize this or find some intermediate schedule on transition days. Exposure to sunlight and red light can reduce the strain a bit.

I hope it is possible to get out of the situation demands as soon as possible, and negotiate a more consistent schedule in the mean time. It is recommended to avoid long term sleep debt and rapidly changing shift schedules except in the most dire times. I omit metabolic measures from this post to make the higher priority point that adequate sleep is primary.

Keep in mind circadian rhythm is also how your body tells what season it is [http://phys.org/news/2014-09-breakthrough-genetic-link-circadian-clock.html]
You could probably force deep sleep phases with electrode machines or certain chemicals, but it would be quite an investment. People have reported two to four hour nights with no side effects.

Curt :-) said:
Cocaine usually works well

That should raise serotonin quite a bit, and break down the blood-brain barrier.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
Curt :-) said:
Cocaine usually works well

That should raise serotonin quite a bit, and break down the blood-brain barrier.
And cut into profits from working extra :roll:. I took some toxic pharma drugs when I worked 12 hour night shifts. Eventually I realized if I had to go through all of that for my job I probably needed to come up with a different plan. After awhile I came to the conclusion that the money just wasn't worth killing myself over. I hope you are able to figure something out. I don't think there is an easy and harmless way to get around not sleeping unfortunately.

Yea, there's so many jobs that pay well but require "investments", such as cocaine or student debts.

Curt :-)

Joking guys. Cocaine ain't cool. Stick with LSD; it's more Peaty ;-) (also a joke lol)

Hopefully your situation is only temporary. Good luck with it :):

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals