Exercise And Endotoxin

raypeatclips

An update on this:

While the first sprint session boosted my well-being (over two days), the second short sprint session in three days in three days, also fasted in the morning, and which led to loose stools as well, significantly set me back in terms of overall health. I have recovered now. So what can I say, start low, eat and don't be a pig. I suspect the coconut milk I was eating wasn't doing me any favour at all, but we'll see about that.

Why are you doing sprints fasted?

sladerunner69

Contrary to Ray's advice against cardio, I always feel a significant mood/energy boost after a treadmill or sprinting session. I think it is because it increase my cortisol, which is likely very low from consuming sugar all day and taking things like vitamin E, aspirin, caffeine, k.... I suspect that a minimum level of cortisol is needed for some biochemical processes that keeps my joints lubed, my concentration on point, and my libido cruisin'.

raypeatclips

Contrary to Ray's advice against cardio, I always feel a significant mood/energy boost after a treadmill or sprinting session. I think it is because it increase my cortisol, which is likely very low from consuming sugar all day and taking things like vitamin E, aspirin, caffeine, k.... I suspect that a minimum level of cortisol is needed for some biochemical processes that keeps my joints lubed, my concentration on point, and my libido cruisin'.

Ray has said sprints would be o.k, the only exercise he doesn't seem to like is long distance endurance mouth breathing running.

sladerunner69

Ray has said sprints would be o.k, the only exercise he doesn't seem to like is long distance endurance mouth breathing running.

Yes I know. He regards endurance cardio as too stressful because it increases cortisol, adrenaline etc. And leads to a conditioned downregulation of the metabolism and lower heart rate. Although I was considering that perhaps a 10-20 minute jog would not lead to this metabolis downregulation, as long as one was well fed with carbs and sugar.

Also why do I feel noticeably better after running and not taking aromatase inhibitors- thus with increased cortisol and estrogen?

raypeatclips

Yes I know. He regards endurance cardio as too stressful because it increases cortisol, adrenaline etc. And leads to a conditioned downregulation of the metabolism and lower heart rate. Although I was considering that perhaps a 10-20 minute jog would not lead to this metabolis downregulation, as long as one was well fed with carbs and sugar.

Also why do I feel noticeably better after running and not taking aromatase inhibitors- thus with increased cortisol and estrogen?

I think movement is very good and is an underappreciated factor of improving health of improving on this forum. Just getting outside and getting the blood pumping makes me so much better than staying indoors and staying sedentary, I'm not sure exactly why though talking about specific hormones etc. Maybe it is the raising of cortisol to normal amounts as you said, that seems to make sense.

sladerunner69

I think movement is very good and is an underappreciated factor of improving health of improving on this forum. Just getting outside and getting the blood pumping makes me so much better than staying indoors and staying sedentary, I'm not sure exactly why though talking about specific hormones etc. Maybe it is the raising of cortisol to normal amounts as you said, that seems to make sense.

Well according to so many of the studies cited by Peat and haduit, cortisol would be something to minimize given its destructive and deteriorating effects. However I have read on other, non peat, forums that cortisol is vitally necessary. In particular someone mentioned cortisol as being necessary to "sensitize" the effects of DHT and other androgens. Apparently cortisol has the ability to reactivate the DHT molecule, which is something I have never found any written evidence of, but would describe the nice effect of cortisol in my experience.

Wagner83

Why are you doing sprints fasted?
Because I liked the idea of waking up in teh morning quickly, peeling my potatoes, putting them in the steamer, go run, get a mood and mental boost for the day while coming back to eat the now-ready potatoes.
Peat is much more careful and delicate with his use of supplements and his recommendations than we are, whether it's the compounds themselves, the doses, the frequency of use, etc..

sladerunner69

Because I liked the idea of waking up in teh morning quickly, peeling my potatoes, putting them in the steamer, go run, get a mood and mental boost for the day while coming back to eat the now-ready potatoes.

Peat is much more careful and delicate with his use of supplements and his recommendations than we are, whether it's the compounds themselves, the doses, the frequency of use, etc..

So sprinting you think can give you a mood boost? From the endorphins? From the stress hormones?

Wagner83

So sprinting you think can give you a mood boost? From the endorphins? From the stress hormones?
I don't know and I don't care, they are also positive effects like the ones constantine mentioned, and I see no reason to not sprint until I'm old because of supposedill effects. It's one of those things like measuring temps and pulse various times of the day everyday, why would I add a stress factor and more orthorexia consciously. Like the two of you said before, moving and physical activity are nice. I'm curious what results dancing would give, I suspect dancing to be particularly healthy.
Btw, haidut, who is a fan of charcoal, told me using it some time before running stops loose stools in his case.

Peater Piper

I assume chronically elevated cortisol is not good, but temporarily spiking it (with something like exercise) may be beneficial. There's just too many studies showing the benefits of exercise, including moderate endurance training, to believe perceived benefits are only due to temporary increases in temperature or endorphins.

OP
Constatine

Constatine

I don't know and I don't care, they are also positive effects like the ones constantine mentioned, and I see no reason to not sprint until I'm old because of supposedill effects. It's one of those things like measuring temps and pulse various times of the day everyday, why would I add a stress factor and more orthorexia consciously. Like the two of you said before, moving and physical activity are nice. I'm curious what results dancing would give, I suspect dancing to be particularly healthy.
Btw, haidut, who is a fan of charcoal, told me using it some time before running stops loose stools in his case.
I think there was a study that shows vitamin C preventing exercise induced stress response. Green tea as well.

Ulysses

I think there was a study that shows vitamin C preventing exercise induced stress response. Green tea as well.
Is this necessarily a good thing? The acute stress response from exercise is supposed to be hormetic. If your aerobic sessions are short and, say, below lactate threshold then it’s hard to imagine the stress response from these workouts doing long-term damage. My understanding of Peat’s view on exercise is that the accumulation of lactic acid is primarily what makes it harmful. That would be an argument against HIIT and in favor of LISS.

OP
Constatine

Constatine

Is this necessarily a good thing? The acute stress response from exercise is supposed to be hormetic. If your aerobic sessions are short and, say, below lactate threshold then it’s hard to imagine the stress response from these workouts doing long-term damage. My understanding of Peat’s view on exercise is that the accumulation of lactic acid is primarily what makes it harmful. That would be an argument against HIIT and in favor of LISS.
No it's not necessarily a good thing. But I do believe there were studies that showed that vitamin c didn't prevent workout adaptation or rather strength gain.

Texon

No it's not necessarily a good thing. But I do believe there were studies that showed that vitamin c didn't prevent workout adaptation or rather strength gain.
@haidut @Koveras

I had a hard time deciding where to post this...maybe we should be looking at horse studies instead of just rodents?

Equine Gastric Ulcers | Jeremiah's Ulcer Repulser™

I have had some fantastic results lately with marshmallow root (kind of like herbal gelatin?). Anyway, notice the herbs in their anti ulcer blend. They also have an interesting blend for adrenal hpa burn out. I think I'm going to experiment with these if I can get a COA or some other reasonable assurance of quality. On the other hand, are they going to risk giving crap to million dollar race horses?

Texon

@haidut @Koveras
Almost forgot the main reason for my post. Notice the very high gastric ulceration rate for thoroughbreds in training/racing vs. those in non-training states...the many faces of stress.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Amazoniac

Exercise has the guts: How physical activity may positively modulate gut microbiota in chronic and immune-based diseases

"Nowadays, the appeal of practicing regular physical activity has become redundant as multiple international agencies advocate for the protective, curative, and revertive effects of exercise in a myriad of metabolic and psychological disturbances [1, 2]."

"Increasing physical activity emerges as a mandatory forefront to abate the burden associated with longevity and expanded life expectancy of present days. In fact, exercise covers a broad spectrum of health benefits, from boosting mental wellness by enhancing mood states and neuroplasticity via augmented brain-derived neurotrophic factors (BDNF) levels [3], to help preventing excess weight gain or maintaining weight loss [1, 4, 5, 6], mastering a cascade of favorable events in the metabolic equilibrium of the human body. A substantial number of both cross-sectional and longitudinal studies have indicated that regular physical exercise exerts diversified anti-inflammatory actions [7, 8]. An exercise-mediated organ crosstalk orchestrates a pattern leading to the increase of anti-inflammatory cytokines, and/or the decreasing of pro-inflammatory cytokines."

"It has been estimated that 21–25% of breast and colon cancers, 27% of diabetes, and approximately 30% of ischaemic heart disease burden can be attributed to physical inactivity. Exercise training has been clinically proven, cost-effective, in the treatment and cure of several of these diseases [17]. Certainly, exercise enables these extraordinarily beneficial actions by affecting energy balance and by lowering atherogenic profiles [18]. Nevertheless, alternative and novel explanations covered by exercise are gaining momentum in the current literature. One of these hypotheses is related to a favorable modification of the human gut microbiota in health and disease."

"When the fine equilibrium between the immune system and the commensal bacteria is impaired, health is compromised, and several diseases may arise (Fig. 1). A gut dysbiosis has been associated with inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis [33, 34]. Particularly, Crohn’s disease may be caused or aggravated by bacteria like Firmicutes (Faecalibacterium prausnitzii decreases) and Escherichia coli (increases) [35]. Evidence exists that Firmicutes:Bacteriodetes ratio is elevated in irritable bowel syndrome, obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2D) and insulin resistance [36]. It is unascertained why the same ratio has been found increased in old age [37], however a greater diversity of microbiota was associated with a healthier status in elderly with respect to that found in younger adults [38]. A low diversity of gut microbiota has also been detected in allergic diseases, other than metabolic syndrome, type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1D) and T2D. Notably, an extensive body of literature has dealt with the etiopathogenetic role of intestinal microbiome in T1D (see § 5) [39, 40]. Various microbiota profiles have been drafted for rheumatoid arthritis, autism [41], and mood disturbances [25, 42]. Excessive protein fermentation by pathogen bacteria within the colon has been putatively linked to colon cancer [43]."

"In this view, the metabolic capacity of gut microbiota is crucial. The gut microbiota may modulate host energy metabolism in different ways. Besides producing SCFAs, which may represent alternative energy substrates for hepatic gluconeogenesis (propionate), the intestinal microbiota may alter hepatic triglyceride production, lipid- and carbohydrate metabolism [44]. Several communities of the gut bacteria may synthesize vitamins (K, folic acid, biotin, thiamine), glycans, amino acids, or ferment indigestible fiber [23, 37, 45]."

"Interestingly, recent studies showed that exercise, as a homeostatic stimulus, might diversify the gut microbiota enhancing the number of benign microbial communities [25, 46]. Notwithstanding, the underlying mechanisms behind this positive modulation remain undetetermined."

"There is a conceptual framework in which exercise-microbiota studies are gaining momentum in the science community. Originally, the muscle-microbiota axis was legitimized by the seminal study of Bäckhed et al. [47], in which germ-free (GF) mice, in contrast to mice with a gut microbiota, were protected against diet-induced obesity showing a persistently lean phenotype with increased levels of phosphorylated AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) in muscle and liver. In the same study, GF mice with an inactivated expression of fasting-induced adipose factor (Fiaf −/−), a circulating lipoprotein lipase inhibitor, tipically suppressed in the gut epithelium by the microbiota, were not protected from diet-induced obesity. Those findings suggested that manipulating microbial community impacted on muscle bioenergetics (i.e. fatty acid oxidation) in a way that host energy metabolism was even protected against a high-calorie westernized-diet.

A further step was made when exercise-interventions showed a direct interaction with gut microbiota and intestinal microbiome. Not only GF mice exhibited a worse exercise performance with respect to littermates colonized by a single bacterial species (phylum), but also mice colonized by multiple non-harmful bacteria displayed the greatest endurance capacity [48]. In that study, different microbiota composition and structure affected exercise performance by modulating the anti-oxidant system activity [48]. Even under high-fat diet conditions, in obese mice, exercise seems capable to protect the gut integrity and morphology, for instance by reducing inflammatory markers such as cyclo-oxygenase 2 (Cox-2) in both proximal and distal gut [49]. Several exercise-triggered factors influencing gut microbiota can be enumerated: the modification of the bile acids profile (fecal bile acids increase as exercise-amount and -intensity increase) [50]; the elevated production of SCFAs via AMPK activation [47]; the suppression of TLRs signaling pathway in the liver, muscle, and adipose tissue by reducing lipopolysaccharide (LPS) serum levels [51]; the increase of immunoglobulin A (IgA) [52] production and a reduced number of B and CD4 + T cells; the weight loss [53], myokines (IL-6, IL-10, IL-1ra, TNF-R) [54]; the gut transit time [55] (exercise reduces intestinal transit time hence influencing microbiota composition)."

"Regular, moderate physical acitvity is associated with an anti-inflammatory status in the intestinal lymphocytes post-exercise (TNF-α expression is suppressed while IL-10 is increased) [56]; it tempers intestinal barrier dysfunction; it preserves mucous thickness and intestinal permeability [57] (e.g. by SCFA-induced reduction of colonic mucosa permeability). A diminished bacterial translocation and an upregulated anti-microbial protein production have also been associated with moderate exercise [57]. SCFAs appear to modulate neutrophil function and migration in an anti-inflammatory fashion [58]. In young women, eccentric exercise was accompanied by blunted, TLR4-mediated, inflammatory responses [59]. Resistance exercise ameliorated the pro-inflammatory status of elderly subjects through an attenuation of TLR2 and TLR4 signaling pathways [60]. By contrast, strenuous, prolonged endurance exercise may reduce gastrointestinal blood flow [61], leading to hypo-perfusion [62, 63], susceptibility to endotoxins (“leaky gut”, endotoxemia) [64], and an overall increased expression of pro-inflammatory modulators (TNF-α, IL-1, IL-6, IL-1ra) [56, 65, 66]. In addition, excessively intense exercise may compromise mesenteric redox environment, therefore weakening the activity of antioxidant enzymes [67]. At the same time, the epithelial barrier disruption increases the TLR-mediated recognition of gut commensal bacteria [68]."

"Exercise was proven to restore impaired conditions (either involving the immune system or the microbiota) associated with inflammation."

"Hsu et al. compared the endurance swimming performance of three groups of mice: GF mice lacking gut microbiota, GF mice colonized by one bacterium (BF, Bacteroides fragilis), specific pathogen-free mice (SPF, i.e. microbiota without pathogenic bacteria like Helicobacter pylori). The best time-to exhaustion was obtained by the complete microbiota group (SPF), followed by mice having one bacterium (BF), and the GF mice as the worst ones [48]. The absence of microbial colonization was accompanied by decreased levels of SCFAs and other critical antioxidant enzimes for reducing oxidative stress (serum and liver glutathione peroxidase and serum catalase) [48]. Also, SCFA levels of butyrate were found significantly increased in male Wistar rats subjected to a free-wheel running protocol with respect to sedentary controls [75]. As said, SCFAs are one of the major end products of microbial fermentation and contribute to intestinal energy homeostasis by modulating immune system and reducing inflammation and oxidative stress. Matsumoto et al. hypothesized that cecal butyrate concentrations were inversely related to colon disease risks due to exercise [75]."

"Voluntary wheel running was found to attenuate microbiome changes induced by a two-day exposure of polychlorinated biphenyls mixture, preserving the gut microbial richness in mice [79]."

"Moderate treadmill training favorably modified bacterial communities at the genus level in obese and hypertensive rats, suggesting that exercise elicits distinctive microbiota profiles according to the host characteristics [81]."

"Kang et al. analyzed the unrelated effects of diet and exercise on behavioral domains (anxiety and cognitive dysfunctions) through differently-impacted microbiota. Specifically, exercise resulted incapable of rescuing anxiety phenotypes determined by high fat diet (HFD). On the contrary, exercise ameliorated cognitive abilities without being affected by HFD [83]. Additionally, exercise caused substantial shifts in the gut micriobiome, and dinstictive bacterial abundances were orthogonally related to cognition and anxiety [83]."

"In HFD-fed mice, voluntary wheel running improved insulin tolerance, despite LPS injections (2 mg/kg ip) [90]. Intestinal immune response was found to be favorably modulated in the studies by Hoffman-Goetz, in which exercise decreased TNF-α and proinflammatory cytokine IL-17, whereas it increased glutathione peroxidase, catalase, and the anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 [56, 91, 92]."

"Altogether, it seems that the microbiota changes induced by physical exercise depend on the physiological [81], and above all, on the metabolic state [48, 94]."

"The exercise-intensity proposed in the various protocols remains a controversial issue. However, while moderate-intensity exercise reduces gut transit time, prolonged strenuous exercise may affect gut permeability, provoking diarrhea, bacterial translocation into the bloodstream, gastrointestinal bleeding and disorders [102, 103]."

"Although a growing body of evidence is pointing at the health-promoting effect of physical exercise in the modulation of gut microbiota, this intriguing pattern is far to be clearly elucidated. Few controlled studies on humans have been conducted in the attempt to confirm the findings of studies on animals, which have been carried out in greater numbers. Modality, intensity and duration of exercise are still fascinatingly unexplored as to providing the most beneficial treatment for several chronic- and immune-based diseases, through manipulation of gut microbiota."

@raypeatclips @Tarmander

raypeatclips

Exercise has the guts: How physical activity may positively modulate gut microbiota in chronic and immune-based diseases

"Nowadays, the appeal of practicing regular physical activity has become redundant as multiple international agencies advocate for the protective, curative, and revertive effects of exercise in a myriad of metabolic and psychological disturbances [1, 2]."

"Increasing physical activity emerges as a mandatory forefront to abate the burden associated with longevity and expanded life expectancy of present days. In fact, exercise covers a broad spectrum of health benefits, from boosting mental wellness by enhancing mood states and neuroplasticity via augmented brain-derived neurotrophic factors (BDNF) levels [3], to help preventing excess weight gain or maintaining weight loss [1, 4, 5, 6], mastering a cascade of favorable events in the metabolic equilibrium of the human body. A substantial number of both cross-sectional and longitudinal studies have indicated that regular physical exercise exerts diversified anti-inflammatory actions [7, 8]. An exercise-mediated organ crosstalk orchestrates a pattern leading to the increase of anti-inflammatory cytokines, and/or the decreasing of pro-inflammatory cytokines."

"It has been estimated that 21–25% of breast and colon cancers, 27% of diabetes, and approximately 30% of ischaemic heart disease burden can be attributed to physical inactivity. Exercise training has been clinically proven, cost-effective, in the treatment and cure of several of these diseases [17]. Certainly, exercise enables these extraordinarily beneficial actions by affecting energy balance and by lowering atherogenic profiles [18]. Nevertheless, alternative and novel explanations covered by exercise are gaining momentum in the current literature. One of these hypotheses is related to a favorable modification of the human gut microbiota in health and disease."

"When the fine equilibrium between the immune system and the commensal bacteria is impaired, health is compromised, and several diseases may arise (Fig. 1). A gut dysbiosis has been associated with inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis [33, 34]. Particularly, Crohn’s disease may be caused or aggravated by bacteria like Firmicutes (Faecalibacterium prausnitzii decreases) and Escherichia coli (increases) [35]. Evidence exists that Firmicutes:Bacteriodetes ratio is elevated in irritable bowel syndrome, obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2D) and insulin resistance [36]. It is unascertained why the same ratio has been found increased in old age [37], however a greater diversity of microbiota was associated with a healthier status in elderly with respect to that found in younger adults [38]. A low diversity of gut microbiota has also been detected in allergic diseases, other than metabolic syndrome, type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1D) and T2D. Notably, an extensive body of literature has dealt with the etiopathogenetic role of intestinal microbiome in T1D (see § 5) [39, 40]. Various microbiota profiles have been drafted for rheumatoid arthritis, autism [41], and mood disturbances [25, 42]. Excessive protein fermentation by pathogen bacteria within the colon has been putatively linked to colon cancer [43]."

"In this view, the metabolic capacity of gut microbiota is crucial. The gut microbiota may modulate host energy metabolism in different ways. Besides producing SCFAs, which may represent alternative energy substrates for hepatic gluconeogenesis (propionate), the intestinal microbiota may alter hepatic triglyceride production, lipid- and carbohydrate metabolism [44]. Several communities of the gut bacteria may synthesize vitamins (K, folic acid, biotin, thiamine), glycans, amino acids, or ferment indigestible fiber [23, 37, 45]."

"Interestingly, recent studies showed that exercise, as a homeostatic stimulus, might diversify the gut microbiota enhancing the number of benign microbial communities [25, 46]. Notwithstanding, the underlying mechanisms behind this positive modulation remain undetetermined."

"There is a conceptual framework in which exercise-microbiota studies are gaining momentum in the science community. Originally, the muscle-microbiota axis was legitimized by the seminal study of Bäckhed et al. [47], in which germ-free (GF) mice, in contrast to mice with a gut microbiota, were protected against diet-induced obesity showing a persistently lean phenotype with increased levels of phosphorylated AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) in muscle and liver. In the same study, GF mice with an inactivated expression of fasting-induced adipose factor (Fiaf −/−), a circulating lipoprotein lipase inhibitor, tipically suppressed in the gut epithelium by the microbiota, were not protected from diet-induced obesity. Those findings suggested that manipulating microbial community impacted on muscle bioenergetics (i.e. fatty acid oxidation) in a way that host energy metabolism was even protected against a high-calorie westernized-diet.

A further step was made when exercise-interventions showed a direct interaction with gut microbiota and intestinal microbiome. Not only GF mice exhibited a worse exercise performance with respect to littermates colonized by a single bacterial species (phylum), but also mice colonized by multiple non-harmful bacteria displayed the greatest endurance capacity [48]. In that study, different microbiota composition and structure affected exercise performance by modulating the anti-oxidant system activity [48]. Even under high-fat diet conditions, in obese mice, exercise seems capable to protect the gut integrity and morphology, for instance by reducing inflammatory markers such as cyclo-oxygenase 2 (Cox-2) in both proximal and distal gut [49]. Several exercise-triggered factors influencing gut microbiota can be enumerated: the modification of the bile acids profile (fecal bile acids increase as exercise-amount and -intensity increase) [50]; the elevated production of SCFAs via AMPK activation [47]; the suppression of TLRs signaling pathway in the liver, muscle, and adipose tissue by reducing lipopolysaccharide (LPS) serum levels [51]; the increase of immunoglobulin A (IgA) [52] production and a reduced number of B and CD4 + T cells; the weight loss [53], myokines (IL-6, IL-10, IL-1ra, TNF-R) [54]; the gut transit time [55] (exercise reduces intestinal transit time hence influencing microbiota composition)."

"Regular, moderate physical acitvity is associated with an anti-inflammatory status in the intestinal lymphocytes post-exercise (TNF-α expression is suppressed while IL-10 is increased) [56]; it tempers intestinal barrier dysfunction; it preserves mucous thickness and intestinal permeability [57] (e.g. by SCFA-induced reduction of colonic mucosa permeability). A diminished bacterial translocation and an upregulated anti-microbial protein production have also been associated with moderate exercise [57]. SCFAs appear to modulate neutrophil function and migration in an anti-inflammatory fashion [58]. In young women, eccentric exercise was accompanied by blunted, TLR4-mediated, inflammatory responses [59]. Resistance exercise ameliorated the pro-inflammatory status of elderly subjects through an attenuation of TLR2 and TLR4 signaling pathways [60]. By contrast, strenuous, prolonged endurance exercise may reduce gastrointestinal blood flow [61], leading to hypo-perfusion [62, 63], susceptibility to endotoxins (“leaky gut”, endotoxemia) [64], and an overall increased expression of pro-inflammatory modulators (TNF-α, IL-1, IL-6, IL-1ra) [56, 65, 66]. In addition, excessively intense exercise may compromise mesenteric redox environment, therefore weakening the activity of antioxidant enzymes [67]. At the same time, the epithelial barrier disruption increases the TLR-mediated recognition of gut commensal bacteria [68]."

"Exercise was proven to restore impaired conditions (either involving the immune system or the microbiota) associated with inflammation."

"Hsu et al. compared the endurance swimming performance of three groups of mice: GF mice lacking gut microbiota, GF mice colonized by one bacterium (BF, Bacteroides fragilis), specific pathogen-free mice (SPF, i.e. microbiota without pathogenic bacteria like Helicobacter pylori). The best time-to exhaustion was obtained by the complete microbiota group (SPF), followed by mice having one bacterium (BF), and the GF mice as the worst ones [48]. The absence of microbial colonization was accompanied by decreased levels of SCFAs and other critical antioxidant enzimes for reducing oxidative stress (serum and liver glutathione peroxidase and serum catalase) [48]. Also, SCFA levels of butyrate were found significantly increased in male Wistar rats subjected to a free-wheel running protocol with respect to sedentary controls [75]. As said, SCFAs are one of the major end products of microbial fermentation and contribute to intestinal energy homeostasis by modulating immune system and reducing inflammation and oxidative stress. Matsumoto et al. hypothesized that cecal butyrate concentrations were inversely related to colon disease risks due to exercise [75]."

"Voluntary wheel running was found to attenuate microbiome changes induced by a two-day exposure of polychlorinated biphenyls mixture, preserving the gut microbial richness in mice [79]."

"Moderate treadmill training favorably modified bacterial communities at the genus level in obese and hypertensive rats, suggesting that exercise elicits distinctive microbiota profiles according to the host characteristics [81]."

"Kang et al. analyzed the unrelated effects of diet and exercise on behavioral domains (anxiety and cognitive dysfunctions) through differently-impacted microbiota. Specifically, exercise resulted incapable of rescuing anxiety phenotypes determined by high fat diet (HFD). On the contrary, exercise ameliorated cognitive abilities without being affected by HFD [83]. Additionally, exercise caused substantial shifts in the gut micriobiome, and dinstictive bacterial abundances were orthogonally related to cognition and anxiety [83]."

"In HFD-fed mice, voluntary wheel running improved insulin tolerance, despite LPS injections (2 mg/kg ip) [90]. Intestinal immune response was found to be favorably modulated in the studies by Hoffman-Goetz, in which exercise decreased TNF-α and proinflammatory cytokine IL-17, whereas it increased glutathione peroxidase, catalase, and the anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 [56, 91, 92]."

"Altogether, it seems that the microbiota changes induced by physical exercise depend on the physiological [81], and above all, on the metabolic state [48, 94]."

"The exercise-intensity proposed in the various protocols remains a controversial issue. However, while moderate-intensity exercise reduces gut transit time, prolonged strenuous exercise may affect gut permeability, provoking diarrhea, bacterial translocation into the bloodstream, gastrointestinal bleeding and disorders [102, 103]."

"Although a growing body of evidence is pointing at the health-promoting effect of physical exercise in the modulation of gut microbiota, this intriguing pattern is far to be clearly elucidated. Few controlled studies on humans have been conducted in the attempt to confirm the findings of studies on animals, which have been carried out in greater numbers. Modality, intensity and duration of exercise are still fascinatingly unexplored as to providing the most beneficial treatment for several chronic- and immune-based diseases, through manipulation of gut microbiota."

@raypeatclips @Tarmander

Thanks for the tag, good finds!

Amazoniac

Thanks for the tag, good finds!
It has to be a habit, you must have noticed this. Lack of energy is a good justification to spend the least that you can and it can be tempting to sacrifice physical activity in such state, but I have the impression that as an exception it's worth ignoring instincts and moving anyway, because the less you demand from the body, the clearer the signal that it can afford the torpor.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals