Vitamin C Is An Endotoxin Antagonist And Can Reduce Cortisol And Inflammation

managing

"Quali-C" is the brandname of V-C supposedly produced in the same fashion as it was in the 50s that RP says is good. Made in Ireland, they license lots of producers to use it.

So, presumably, if it says "Quali-C" on it, RP would approve. A CoA would still be great though.

InChristAlone

As far as I know I have never seen exact amounts of heavy metals for Quali-C so until I do I will not promote it as it's far more expensive. If they want to say theirs is superior they have to show proof.

InChristAlone

Have you seen them for this product?
Thanks for reminding me! It went on sale today and I was going to order a couple bags. Yes she declares it is less than 3 ppm I'm sure it's much less than that though as she gives high dosages to all her kids. I was just saying I wouldn't pay double the price for a product unless I knew the heavy metals were like nil.

Logan-

Has she ever shared a CoA for that product? I agree, it's very economical.

Vinero

Thanks for reminding me! It went on sale today and I was going to order a couple bags. Yes she declares it is less than 3 ppm I'm sure it's much less than that though as she gives high dosages to all her kids. I was just saying I wouldn't pay double the price for a product unless I knew the heavy metals were like nil.
How do you take vitamin C? Away from meals or with meals? Dissolved in Juice or with Water? Any Interactions you are aware of with other supplements? Can you take it with coffee or methylene blue?

Last edited:

InChristAlone

How do you take vitamin C? Away from meals or with meals? Dissolved in Juice or with Water? Any Interactions you are aware of with other supplements? Can you take it with coffee or methylene blue?
I take 4-8 grams right away in the morning. With about 1/8 tsp of baking soda. Just to cut the acid.
I don't think there are any interactions besides making non heme iron more easily absorbed. You can take with meals many people do I just prefer to take it away from food.

mostlylurking

There isn't a "safe" amount of lead, that's the problem. It accumulates in your body; extremely hard to get rid of, although Ray Peat said somewhere that if you have excellent thyroid function your body is able to detox it, maybe via liver function? I've been hypothyroid all my adult life and have been chelated for lead poisoning twice. Each time required a series of around 20 IV EDTA treatments. Not fun and pretty dangerous. It's really important to avoid all possible sources of lead. I stick with orange juice; never questionable vitamin C supplements.

Logan-

I take 4-8 grams right away in the morning. With about 1/8 tsp of baking soda. Just to cut the acid.
I don't think there are any interactions besides making non heme iron more easily absorbed. You can take with meals many people do I just prefer to take it away from food.

Why are you taking so much?

Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Nov;66(5):1165-71.
Pharmacokinetic perspectives on megadoses of ascorbic acid.
Blanchard J1, Tozer TN, Rowland M.
Author information
Abstract

Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is commonly used as a dietary supplement, often in megadoses. However, as the daily oral dose is increased, the concentration of ascorbic acid in the plasma and other body fluids does not increase proportionally, but instead tends to approach an upper limit. For example, when the daily dose is increased from 200 to 2500 mg (from 1.1 to 14.2 mmol) the mean steady state plasma concentration increases only from approximately 12 to 15 mg/L (from 68.1 to 85.2 mumol/L). Published data were reanalyzed with an integrated modeling approach to shed new quantitative light on this phenomenon. This analysis is based on the renal clearance of ascorbic acid, which rises sharply with increasing plasma concentrations as a result of saturable tubular reabsorption. The analysis indicates that both saturable gastrointestinal absorption and nonlinear renal clearance act additively to produce the ceiling effect in plasma concentrations. As a consequence of this ceiling effect, there is no pharmacokinetic justification for the use of megadoses of ascorbic acid.

Pharmacokinetic perspectives on megadoses of ascorbic acid. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

How does one know that "less than 3ppm of lead" is a safe amount?

Well, you would have to make that determination yourself. Vitamin C supplements have been used to detoxify lead from the body-

How Doctors Use Vitamin C Against Lead Poisoning

Studies usually find that vitamin C supplements reduce blood levels of lead.

Vitamin C Levels Linked To Amount Of Lead In Blood

Effect of Vitamin C Supplementation on Blood Lead Level, Oxidative Stress and Antioxidant Status of Battery Manufacturing Workers of Western Maharashtra, India (note, they only used 500 mg for a month, and while blood lead levels declined, it apparently did not reach statisical significance.

There isn't a "safe" amount of lead, that's the problem. It accumulates in your body; extremely hard to get rid of, although Ray Peat said somewhere that if you have excellent thyroid function your body is able to detox it, maybe via liver function? I've been hypothyroid all my adult life and have been chelated for lead poisoning twice. Each time required a series of around 20 IV EDTA treatments. Not fun and pretty dangerous. It's really important to avoid all possible sources of lead. I stick with orange juice; never questionable vitamin C supplements.

That's fair, but we do not live in a pristine world, and orange juice, for all it's benefits, is also contaminated with potentially toxic substances-

Glyphosate Found In All 5 Major Orange Juice Brands

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Why are you taking so much?

Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Nov;66(5):1165-71.
Pharmacokinetic perspectives on megadoses of ascorbic acid.
Blanchard J1, Tozer TN, Rowland M.
Author information
Abstract

Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is commonly used as a dietary supplement, often in megadoses. However, as the daily oral dose is increased, the concentration of ascorbic acid in the plasma and other body fluids does not increase proportionally, but instead tends to approach an upper limit. For example, when the daily dose is increased from 200 to 2500 mg (from 1.1 to 14.2 mmol) the mean steady state plasma concentration increases only from approximately 12 to 15 mg/L (from 68.1 to 85.2 mumol/L). Published data were reanalyzed with an integrated modeling approach to shed new quantitative light on this phenomenon. This analysis is based on the renal clearance of ascorbic acid, which rises sharply with increasing plasma concentrations as a result of saturable tubular reabsorption. The analysis indicates that both saturable gastrointestinal absorption and nonlinear renal clearance act additively to produce the ceiling effect in plasma concentrations. As a consequence of this ceiling effect, there is no pharmacokinetic justification for the use of megadoses of ascorbic acid.

Pharmacokinetic perspectives on megadoses of ascorbic acid. - PubMed - NCBI

Well, even in the study you posted, the higher dose resulted in a significantly higher plasma concentration.

Regardless of that single study on plasma concentration, there are many people and doctors who have found multi-gram doses to be beneficial (including, of course, Linus Pauling who reportedly took 18 grams a day)

For example-

InChristAlone

Yeah I often bring up that chocolate is one of the most lead contaminated food substances. And no one talks about it. Appeal to nature fallacy, saying 'I'll stick with food not supplements' I mean I don't even use a lot supplements but I am kinda passionate about vitamin C because I credit it to a lot of my health recovery.

Vinero

Yeah I often bring up that chocolate is one of the most lead contaminated food substances. And no one talks about it. Appeal to nature fallacy, saying 'I'll stick with food not supplements' I mean I don't even use a lot supplements but I am kinda passionate about vitamin C because I credit it to a lot of my health recovery.
Yeah I agree with you, appeal to nature is dumb. It doesn't matter if it's natural or not. I only care what works. Methylene blue is not natural but one of te most effective metabolism boosters. Vitamin C is pretty natural since it is in food, although natural doesn't mean anything. It's meaningless.

Vinero

Well, you would have to make that determination yourself. Vitamin C supplements have been used to detoxify lead from the body-

How Doctors Use Vitamin C Against Lead Poisoning

Studies usually find that vitamin C supplements reduce blood levels of lead.

Vitamin C Levels Linked To Amount Of Lead In Blood

Effect of Vitamin C Supplementation on Blood Lead Level, Oxidative Stress and Antioxidant Status of Battery Manufacturing Workers of Western Maharashtra, India (note, they only used 500 mg for a month, and while blood lead levels declined, it apparently did not reach statisical significance.

That's fair, but we do not live in a pristine world, and orange juice, for all it's benefits, is also contaminated with potentially toxic substances-

Glyphosate Found In All 5 Major Orange Juice Brands
Awesome. I've been eating lead contaminated chocolate for a long time. This Vitamin C might really be an effective supplement for me, it antagonizes endotoxin and also detoxifies lead.

Vinero

This is off topic, but do you use MB every day?
Yes, but not a big dose. I only use 1 to 2 mg daily as that has been shown the optimal dose for longevity. There were periods where I used 3 x 5 mg a day for a total of 15 mg and at that dose the anti-depressant effects is very pronounced. It's like being on MDMA. But I am not sure if that is safe long term. Ray Peat has said that the most important mitochondrial benefits occur in doses from 100 mcg to 1 mg.

InChristAlone

Yes, but not a big dose. I only use 1 to 2 mg daily as that has been shown the optimal dose for longevity. There were periods where I used 3 x 5 mg a day for a total of 15 mg and at that dose the anti-depressant effects is very pronounced. It's like being on MDMA. But I am not sure if that is safe long term. Ray Peat has said that the most important mitochondrial benefits occur in doses from 100 mcg to 1 mg.
Yeah I like the mcg dose. I can tell I get giddy, and laugh about something for a long time. Lol

Yeah vitamin C is just amazing. It isn't a cureall but I really think we do not get enough from food.

Logan-

Thanks for the reply.

Mauritio

What about Vitamin Cs effect on Hormones ?
I took 3 gram of Vitamin C on an empty stomach and I started getting the famous scalp itch that is followed by hair loss. Also felt less masculine. So there could be some estrogenic effects . Not sure...
I would like to take Vitamin C esp. for LPS antagonism, which would also benefit my liver. So maybe I will keep the dosage in the 1-2 g range and see if I still experience some benefits... According to OPs study less than a half a gram should give protection from LPS if taken with a meal
What dosages are you guys taking ?
If It is estrogen it should be more than enough to stack it with a drop and Androsterone.

"AsA causes decrease in the nonpregnant isolated uterine smooth muscle tissue levels of progesterone and increase in the non-pregnant isolated uterine smooth muscle tissue levels of estrogen"
http://www.jcgo.org/index.php/jcgo/article/viewFile/47/39

The HED translates to about 400mg , which is isnt really much. It was intraperitoneally ,which leads to great absorption. So no Idea how much oral Vitamin C would be needed to achieve the same blood concentration , but for sure several grams!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals