Making My Own Liposomal Vitamin C

yerrag

Having read up on Vitamin C, I started using vitamin C in larger quantities over half a year ago. This was because I had learned from burtlancast that it is a good chelator of lead, with which I have a toxicity problem with in my kidneys.

I have been using vitamin C, in the form of l-ascorbic acid, for more than 7 months already. While there has been improvement in my kidneys, as seen in tests of serum albumin, LDH, and on my urine protein-creatinine ratio; much progress remains. My blood pressure has gone down from around 240/140 to being in the vicinity of 180/120, and it seems to have plateaued, and getting it to go further down is becoming more difficult. To note, I am also taking magnesium bicarbonate, as magnesium also chelates lead.

I had long thought about using Liposomal C, but I wasn't too enamored of having to buy it as it costs more. I wanted to see if just using l-ascorbic acid would do the job. I realize now that trying lipo C would be worth it, and was ready to buy the LivOn brand, simply because I found it difficult to find an ingredient needed to make my own liposomal C. But with more diligent search, I finally found a good brand of lecithin granules that meets the specs.

Before I go further, let me share some resources:

A free book by Irwin Stone on vitamin C -https://www.boweltolerance.org/uploads/6/6/2/0/6620648/the_healing_factor.pdf

Dr. Cathcart's method for determining daily requirements for Vitamin C -
https://www.boweltolerance.org/uploads/6/6/2/0/6620648/1981_cathcart_titrate.pdf

Dr Thomas Levy's video on Liposomal C -

And finally, how to make your own liposomal C -
Introduction

Please note that Dr. Levy in the video would say that the DIY liposomal C is not true liposomal C, but that he notes that it it still has some value. Whether that is true or not, I would not know, but I certain want to try to make my own liposomal C before buying a liposomal C.

Ingredients
After reading the information from the last link, I proceeded to get the ingredients: l-ascorbic acid, lecithin granules, ethyl alcohol, and water. It wasn't difficult to get them except for the lecithin granules. Water and l-ascorbic acid is easy to source out. As for ethyl alcohol, a local dealer sells a 95% version. I had to rejigger the formula as the ethyl alcohol specified was a 99% grade. I was glad I didn't have to buy vodka, which is a replacement ingredient in case no ethyl alcohol was to be found.

Getting the lecithin granules was the tricky part. A high PC (phosphatidylcholine) grade of lecithin granules is needed. I looked for it on the web and for many months I was stumped. There was one in UK but it was always out of stock, and I would check back on it but without success. I finally found one, and of all places, it was in Amazon. It wasn't advertised as high PC or anything, so I had to look deeper to find that it was a high PC grade. It is from Swanson - Sunflower Lecithin non-gmo, and made in Germany. Even if I were to look at the packaging, in a stubby white plastic container, it gave no indication that it was high PC.

Equipment
This was a piece of cake, except for one thing - An ultrasonic bath. Although it is optional, I wasn't too keen on proceeding with this project. I went into the vitamin C foundation's forum, and the thread on this subject was very long, and there were many comments that discouraged me. Not that I really read into them, I just glanced as you know how it is - who has the time or the life to read through copious pages of any thread. To make a long story short, I felt it was way too much trouble. But the DIY freak in me kept nagging me on this until my sane self relented.

Thankfully, I was still practical to say no to buying an expensive ultrasonic bath. I'll just trust the author's assurance that the bath is optional. So, with a weighing scale, a nice powerful Blendtec blender (really overkill for the job), an infrared stovetop (gas or induction will do), a small Pyrex Visionware casserole dish (in place of a beaker), and a thermometer, I summoned the will to finally make my own liposomal C - after a year of hemming and hawing.

Please look into the link and read through it. I followed the instructions verbatim so I don't have to recount what I did. And take a look at the picture of the final product.

Results

Very, very nice. At least on the physical aspects of the product. If you looked into the link, you will see that the final product is yellow, and that there is foam on top. Even with using the ultrasonic bath, there was still much foam remaining. Compared to that, my product had very little foam, and I see this as a success considering I was handicapped by not having an ultrasonic bath.

My product, though, was brown in color, instead of a bright yellow. I can attribute it to the color of the lecithin I used. It is actually light brown in color, instead of the typical yellow color you'd find in regular lecithin granules. It is also in powder form, and not in granular form. This is the reason I suspect which made the final product less foamy. I also suspect that the blade design of the Blendtec, and the speed I used in operating the blender, made for less entraining of air into the product.

Taste
Who cares about the taste? I don't. It tastes slightly bitter and salty, yet tolerable.

Now that I have done it, who wants to try this on his own?

I'll be using this batch for the next month or two. Hopefully, it will be more effective. This I know for sure - the vitamin C will be much, much more bioavailable and I won't be seeing a lot of it coming out from the urine. I could take it once or twice a day to get my daily dose, and won't need to drink it all throughout the day to minimize losses through urine.

Attached is a picture of what the product looks like.

20180621_160140.jpg

Wolf

+1 to liposomes.
I use a sonicator from Harbor Freight for mine

OP
yerrag

yerrag

+1 to liposomes.
I use a sonicator from Harbor Freight for mine

Is that the 2.5 liter ultrasonic cleaner that sells for $80? How were your results in making lipo C? Have you made other liposomes as well?

Wolf

Is that the 2.5 liter ultrasonic cleaner that sells for $80? How were your results in making lipo C? Have you made other liposomes as well?
Yes. I got it with a 20% off coupon and sprung for the warranty. Its paid for itself already. Results were pretty good. Noticed some beneficial effects and it helped me get a whole lot of vitamin c in my body without it being ejected out.
I also picked up an infrared thermometer(handheld) from them when it went on sale for $20 or so. Helps me add stuff at the right time so I'm not sonicating for an hour. The first few times I played with sonication I got separation due to poor sonication, poor ratio, poor sonication temperature, etc.
I make some transdermal liposomal stuff that absorbs pretty well.

Last edited:

Lejeboca

It is from Swanson - Sunflower Lecithin non-gmo, and made in Germany.

Am curious whether the sunflower lecithin is full of PUFAs? Thanks.

I've used to do my own liposomal Vit. C. But stopped, mainly because of the lecithin from soy or sunflower that I was able to source. (I didn't try yolk lecithin.) My liposomal looked like yours on the picture, @yerrag . And it was helpful to me with some joint issues I had from falls.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I make some transdermal liposomal stuff that absorbs pretty well.
What other stuff to you make liposomal with? It's good to know it can be used transdermally. Do you know how much the absorption rate is?

Am curious whether the sunflower lecithin is full of PUFAs? Thanks.
It's safe to assume it has PUFAs. Given that the benefit of high absorption with high PC lecithin, it's a risk I have to bear. To minimize the harm, I have to compensate by taking more saturated fats such as coconut oil so that the ratio of SFA to PUFA will be high enough to overcome it.

And it was helpful to me with some joint issues I had from falls.
Glad that it helped. Which joints and what happened to them from falling?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Yes it’s full of pufas. That’s why I no longer make it.

I can minimize the damage by taking more SFAs as well as more Vitamin E.

UHH Why dont one use sunflower lecithin powder then ?

You mean is there a reason why lecithin granules are specified instead of powder? Beats me. But instructions were clear about not using the liquid lecithin. Since all the lecithin granules I can find are low-PC, I went with the lecithin powder that's high-PC, as that is more important. Besides, I didn't know until I received the product that it is in powder form.

Edit: I take that back. It says it's powder in Amazon, but I guessed I overlooked it or maybe at the time I thought that was just a minor thing.

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

So Phosphatidylcholine is a Lecithin. So one should aim for Phosphatidylcholine powder 300 gr, right?

Not necessarily. What was stated as needed is a lecithin granule that is high PC. The author used Solec F brand, which has a 22% PC content. I tried to match that. I wouldn't know what a 100% PC product would affect the outcome of the formulation.

This is what I ordered from Amazon: Your List

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Maybe I would, from what I can find, the purity can be as high as 90%. If it is purified PC powder it means it is hydrogenated linoleic acid, see this: link
I wonder what they mean by hydrogenated. Fully or partially? I would have to pick the latter as I think to fully hydrogenate you need higher temperatures and that would risk degrading the PC?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Never mind the hydrogenated ones! or partially hydrolyzed lecithins, you want DE-OILED.
I digged deeper and there is a but..
big but!
the hydrolysis process leaves bad Lysophosphatidylcholine :
Lysophosphatidylcholine (LPC) is a bioactive proinflammatory lipid
They result from partial hydrolysis of phosphatidylcholines, which removes one of the fatty acid groups. The hydrolysis is generally the result of the enzymatic action of phospholipase A2.[2] Among other properties, they activate endothelial cells during early atherosclerosis[3][4] and stimulate phagocyte recruitment when released by apoptotic cells.[5] Moreover, LPCs can be used in the lab to cause demyelination of brain slices, to mimic the effects of demyelinating diseases such as multiple sclerosis.
"Modified coconut oil has high levels of lysophosphatidylcholine;[16] to see that naturally phosphatidylcholine is 34 percent of lipids in coconut oil and lysophosphatidylcholine is only four percent. Once modified though, all that phosphatidylcholine could become hydrolyzed and be lysophosphatidylcholine – a demylenating toxin. In 2012, there was a lot said about modified coconut oil’s benefits for tooth brushing.

Here is another use for lysophosphatidylcholine – an immune activator: vaccines.[17]"

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Modified coconut oil has high levels of lysophosphatidylcholine;[16] to see that naturally phosphatidylcholine is 34 percent of lipids in coconut oil and lysophosphatidylcholine is only four percent. Once modified though, all that phosphatidylcholine could become hydrolyzed and be lysophosphatidylcholine – a demylenating toxin. In 2012, there was a lot said about modified coconut oil’s benefits for tooth brushing.

What exactly is modified coconut oil? Very ambiguous. Cannot even access the referred link. Bah!

I accessed it finally, and it only talks about the PC and LPC content of coconut oil, but does not talk about the PC becoming hydrolyzed into LPC. This statement has no attribution.

Attachments

• 2000-Paper2.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals