Making My Own Liposomal Vitamin C

OP
yerrag

yerrag

An interesting thing to me in the Thomas Levy video above is his recommendation to use IP6 (inositol hexaphosphate) to chelate iron. Getting rid of iron overload is highly recommended by Peat--see his article. Any comments on how to use IP6 to lower iron--dosage, etc.? He says to take zinc (and magnesium?) supplements with it. I see the IP6 I just ordered from Bulk Supplements has calcium and magnesium included. I gather that it is phytate and phytate is usually counter-recommended, but Levy says it is ok.
I hope others can chime in as I'm not very familiar with iron chelation protocols. I had hemachromatosis once, but after donating blood many years ago, I haven't had it. I'm glad it has not recurred, since it would be hard to donate blood when my blood pressure is high, as I'm disqualified.

success23

I mixed buffered vitamin c with milk ( a natural emulsion of fat and water) and had a very clear imagination... i mean that it could imagine a very clear images.

I could not duplicate the effect with only vitamin c.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

The concern of @ecstatichamster I won't take lightly. I'll be using liposomal C for the next 2 months, and it will be a load of 150g of PUFAs. I've seen how PUFA included in a parenteral infusion of food on my mom did to her. It made her hypoglycemic and worsened her condition in a hospital. While my setting is different, I don't want to take the risk of getting sicker while I try something to make me better. I'm using liposomal C because I wanted to find out if it is really more effective than just using l-ascorbic acid for improving my kidney condition, for lead chelation. It's better to prevent side effects than to have to deal with side effects. I don't want to just "cross the bridge when I get there."

A little over a week into taking Liposomal C, I think I figured out why I started to feel more hungry, during the day, and during the night, causing my sleep to be disturbed. It has to be the PUFAs from the lecithin I used to make Liposomal C. In addition to VCO and vitamin E, I'm also going to take aspirin and niacinamide as well as increase my intake of VCO and vitamin E. I wish I had pure fructose with me to use as well.

Let's see if the benefit of taking liposomal is worth the temporary downside of having to deal with the effects of PUFA that comes along with it. If I can manage to control the effects of PUFA for the duration of my use of liposomal C, then I would be in favor of the use of liposomal delivery of nutrients.

As it is, fair warning needs to be given in considering the use of liposomes. Had I not known of PUFAs in the formulation of liposomes, I would not have made the connection of why I am having to feel hunger( from a drop in blood sugar) and poor sleep quality with the use of liposomes.

The purveyors and promoters of liposomes don't appreciate the negative implications of PUFA intake, and I'm glad knowing of the harm of PUFA lets us see the downside of using liposomes.

Out of curiosity, is lecithin only made from plants that have PUFAs? Any chance there is lecithin that comes with saturated fats or monounsaturated fats only?

Last edited:

Jordi H

Hello everybody and thanks for the valuable info. I have been doing my research before trying making liposomal Vitamin C and I have some questions regarding the most quoted method:

Research

Ethyl alcohol: that recipe calls for 98% alcohol. As far as I know, that doesn't exist. Checking chemical supplies companies the available ones are 96% (the most that can be achieved through distillation) and 100% (anhydrous), very expensive. Also I don't understand why use expensive and hard to find high grade alcohol if it's going to be diluted with water. Why not start with vodka, that is ethyl alcohol and distilled water, to begin with?

Several recipes call for three parts lecithin to one part ascorbic acid. Chris' recipe calls for 1.23 parts (197.1 g) lecithin to one part (160.5 g) ascorbic acid. Any ideas on which one is right?

I'm having trouble dissolving the lecithin, it keeps decanting even after several blendings and overnight in the fridge. Does anybody know why one shouldn't use liquid lecithin?

I hope that in the future I'll be able to contribute answers and not just questions... :):

Cheers, Jordi.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Ray Peat isn't okay with liposomal. Here's the correspondence I had with him-

Me: Is the liposomal method of delivery of nutrients good? I made my own liposomal C from a formula obtained from the web. I had to use high-phosphatidylcholine lecithin for it. When I took it, I couldn't sleep the whole night as I felt hungry and low in blood sugar. I suspect it was the PUFA that caused it. I stopped using liposomal after this experience. Is there a good basis for me staying away from liposomal formulations?

Ray: The liposomal formulations are entirely for marketing. Things like insulin can be dissolved in oil, and the digestive process incorporates the oil into chylomicrons, i.e., liposomes.

Ray Peat isn't okay with liposomal. Here's the correspondence I had with him-

Me: Is the liposomal method of delivery of nutrients good? I made my own liposomal C from a formula obtained from the web. I had to use high-phosphatidylcholine lecithin for it. When I took it, I couldn't sleep the whole night as I felt hungry and low in blood sugar. I suspect it was the PUFA that caused it. I stopped using liposomal after this experience. Is there a good basis for me staying away from liposomal formulations?

Ray: The liposomal formulations are entirely for marketing. Things like insulin can be dissolved in oil, and the digestive process incorporates the oil into chylomicrons, i.e., liposomes.
Hmmm. So is he saying the encapsuled vitamin C arrangement is broken down and not absorbed through the gut intact?
Does this mean a subnstance in a micelle configuration can be absorbed though gut or not ? :confused:

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

Hmmm. So is he saying the encapsuled vitamin C arrangement is broken down and not absorbed through the gut intact?
Does this mean a subnstance in a micelle configuration can be absorbed though gut or not ? :confused:
I didn't get that impression. He did not agree nor refute my suspicion regarding the PUFAs, but my take of it is that liposomal is not worth the hoopla about it. When he says "it's entirely for marketing," I see that as saying you can have the benefits of liposomal for a lot less in cost and trouble. I wish he had not used insulin as an example, but vitamin C though.

I think Vitamin C already dissolves well in water and has good resistance to gut pH difference, thus has a good bio availability for delivery through the gut. The need to encapsulated it in lipids it then less necessary for it does not improve it's bioavailability much.
I think Insulin is degraded by gut the big pH difference and therefore it's bioavailability can be improved by dissolving it in oil so it can be delivered better to through the stomach-gut.

Maybe this helps explaining it:
Oral lipid-based drug delivery systems – an overview

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I think Vitamin C already dissolves well in water and has good resistance to gut pH difference, thus has a good bio availability for delivery through the gut. The need to encapsulated it in lipids it then less necessary for it does not improve it's bioavailability much.
I think Insulin is degraded by gut the big pH difference and therefore it's bioavailability can be improved by dissolving it in oil so it can be delivered better to through the stomach-gut.

Maybe this helps explaining it:
Oral lipid-based drug delivery systems – an overview

I finished reading it last night. I didn't know there are so many ways to it. Even Ciprofloxacin is delivered in one of these ways.

I thought of an idea as I try to make sense of what Peat said earlier. I looked up the nutrition data of coconut milk, and found that there is a small amount of vitamin C, niacin, and folate (all water-soluble) as well as Vit E and K (fat-soluble). If I blended into the coconut milk ascorbic acid, would the ascorbic acid be able to be emulsified into the coconut milk? Would this an effective way of delivering vitamin C to our cells? I'm thinking that there would be no need to add lecithin anymore.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

OP
yerrag

yerrag

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I wouldn't know because the one I made could just be micellar vitamin C and not liposomal vitamin C, and the lecithin I used had so much PUFA in it made my supposedly liposomal C so stressful to take that it wiped out any benefit of taking the liposomal C. Perhaps trying LivOn's liposomal C would be a better way to go.

Trullo

Is it possible to put vitamin A,D,K2 in coconut oil and take them by it? Is this way to enhance adsorption especially at empty stomach?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals