Exercise And Endotoxin

Constatine

While intense exercise acutely elevates plasma endotoxin levels chronic exercise enhances the gut microbiome, intestinal barrier function, and even the clearance rate of endotoxin. High endotoxin levels has been associated with sedentary lifestyles while lower endotoxin levels correlate with athletic lifestyles. Exercise and especially low intensity exercise such as walking is one of the simplest and most overlooked methods of bettering gut related health issues. Intense exercise is likely healthy if the gut is not already compromised while low intensity exercise is helpful regardless and might be one of the key elements in recovering one's health.

Exercise training enhances in vivo clearance of endotoxin and attenuates inflammatory responses by potentiating Kupffer cell phagocytosis
The Curves Exercise Suppresses Endotoxemia in Korean Women with Obesity. - PubMed - NCBI
Exercise training attenuates the myocardial dysfunction induced by endotoxin. - PubMed - NCBI
Exercise Modifies the Gut Microbiota with Positive Health Effects
Moderate-Intensity Exercise Affects Gut Microbiome Composition and Influences Cardiac Function in Myocardial Infarction Mice
Endotoxin levels correlate positively with a sedentary lifestyle and negatively with highly trained subjects
The Effect of Diet and Exercise on Intestinal Integrity and Microbial Diversity in Mice
Effects of Physical Exercise on the Intestinal Mucosa of Rats Submitted to a Hypothalamic Obesity Condition. - PubMed - NCBI

Wagner83

Thanks for the links, I'm finishing my pizza while laying in my sofa atm. How do we define low intensity exercise? Being able to hold a conversation at the same time?

T

tca300

Possibly lymphatic system related, as physical movement or variations in gravitational force ( trampoline bouncing, jumping rope etc.. ) facilitates the flow of lymphatic fluid.

Luckytype

Thanks for the links, I'm finishing my pizza while laying in my sofa atm. How do we define low intensity exercise? Being able to hold a conversation at the same time?

Im about to throw mine in the oven.

Conversational pace in most cases is generally around 70% vo2max and can be measured by heartrate. The rough innacurate is 220(human max +\- a few) minus age. Take that number and multiply by .7

Minimal accumulated waste products created between 65 and 70 percent cardio.

Karvonen method is a little better. It takes into account heart rate reserve so it tends to be a little more accurate. Practical use is about the same.

220 minus age = A
A minus resting heart rate = B
Take B and multply whatever percent of heart rate you want to work at so 65-70 for easy calorie burn and simple cardio or up 80-95+ percent if you want to push your lactate system and aerobic power.

So B * .65 = C
Then just add your resting HR back on

So for a 30 year old male(some take into account a mild difference with women and heart rate).

220 - 30 = 190 max heart rate
190 - 60(resting HR) = 130
130 * .65 = 84.5
84.5 + 60(resting hr added back)

144.5 BPM for easy cardio

raypeatclips

Possibly lymphatic system related, as physical movement or variations in gravitational force ( trampoline bouncing, jumping rope etc.. ) facilitates the flow of lymphatic fluid.

Interesting, this reminds me of "old people wisdom" and my grandfather (professional sports player at one time) swore by skipping rope as the best exercise anybody could do and often recommended it. I hadn't considered the bouncing aspect to benefitting health.

Wagner83

Im about to throw mine in the oven.

Conversational pace in most cases is generally around 70% vo2max and can be measured by heartrate. The rough innacurate is 220(human max +\- a few) minus age. Take that number and multiply by .7

Minimal accumulated waste products created between 65 and 70 percent cardio.

Karvonen method is a little better. It takes into account heart rate reserve so it tends to be a little more accurate. Practical use is about the same.

220 minus age = A
A minus resting heart rate = B
Take B and multply whatever percent of heart rate you want to work at so 65-70 for easy calorie burn and simple cardio or up 80-95+ percent if you want to push your lactate system and aerobic power.

So B * .65 = C
Then just add your resting HR back on

So for a 30 year old male(some take into account a mild difference with women and heart rate).

220 - 30 = 190 max heart rate
190 - 60(resting HR) = 130
130 * .65 = 84.5
84.5 + 60(resting hr added back)

144.5 BPM for easy cardio
Thanks!
Interesting, this reminds me of "old people wisdom" and my grandfather (professional sports player at one time) swore by skipping rope as the best exercise anybody could do and often recommended it. I hadn't considered the bouncing aspect to benefitting health.
It's really a good exercise, but I remember when I used to play football skipping made my feet arches really sore. My guess would be that Achille tendons and calves may need to be conditioned by other exercises first.

Last edited:
OP
Constatine

Constatine

Yeah I think that's a good measure. Hiking and walking might be all someone needs to reap the benefits. Though high intensity exercise does have its benefits as well, for those with intestinal problems they should be a little more conservative. Spending most of the day lightly active is probably very protective.

Wagner83

While intense exercise acutely elevates plasma endotoxin levels chronic exercise enhances the gut microbiome, intestinal barrier function, and even the clearance rate of endotoxin. High endotoxin levels has been associated with sedentary lifestyles while lower endotoxin levels correlate with athletic lifestyles. Exercise and especially low intensity exercise such as walking is one of the simplest and most overlooked methods of bettering gut related health issues. Intense exercise is likely healthy if the gut is not already compromised while low intensity exercise is helpful regardless and might be one of the key elements in recovering one's health.

Exercise training enhances in vivo clearance of endotoxin and attenuates inflammatory responses by potentiating Kupffer cell phagocytosis
The Curves Exercise Suppresses Endotoxemia in Korean Women with Obesity. - PubMed - NCBI
Exercise training attenuates the myocardial dysfunction induced by endotoxin. - PubMed - NCBI
Exercise Modifies the Gut Microbiota with Positive Health Effects
Moderate-Intensity Exercise Affects Gut Microbiome Composition and Influences Cardiac Function in Myocardial Infarction Mice
Endotoxin levels correlate positively with a sedentary lifestyle and negatively with highly trained subjects
The Effect of Diet and Exercise on Intestinal Integrity and Microbial Diversity in Mice
Effects of Physical Exercise on the Intestinal Mucosa of Rats Submitted to a Hypothalamic Obesity Condition. - PubMed - NCBI
I wonder if nausea from high intensity exercise is from increased endotoxin suffering or modification of gut health. I just did sprints and felt terrible, I think the high-fat high-starch high-profile high-gummy bears meal with feta and onions the evening before did not help. It did speed up digestion thoroughly and once that was taken care of things felt a lot better.

Last edited:

raypeatclips

I wonder if nausea from high intensity exercise is from increased endotoxin suffering or modification of gut health. I just did sprints and felt terrible, I think the high-fat high-starch high-profile high-gummy bears meal with feta and onions the evening before did not help. It did speed up digestion thoroughly and once that was taken care of things felt a lot better.

Nausea seems serotonin related so sprinting > endotoxin > serotonin doesn't seem too far fetched. Maybe lactate and/or co2 are involved as well?

Wagner83

My stomach didn't feel optimal in the morning because of the dinner I had the previous night, it felt kind of "stuck", I also went to sprint while starting to be hungry. In any case, it ended up speeding up digestion, a lot of matter was removed and I feel great at the moment.

Wagner83

Quick update:

I felt great all day yesterday and same for today. I just ingested guar gum though :nailbiting:, damn organic coconut milk which I blindly trusted.

Wagner83

I did them once two weeks ago, and before that, had not sprinted for months. It can be easy to overdo them.

tara

I wonder if nausea from high intensity exercise is from increased endotoxin suffering or modification of gut health.
I think high intensity exercise, like some other stresses, can make the body restrict blood flow to the digestive system in favour of the major skeletal muscles. That might feel bad if there's a lot of food there to digest.

Whereas low intensity movement could be supporting the digestive system gently - the traditional 'constitutional' walk after dinner.

Wagner83

I think high intensity exercise, like some other stresses, can make the body restrict blood flow to the digestive system in favour of the major skeletal muscles. That might feel bad if there's a lot of food there to digest.

Whereas low intensity movement could be supporting the digestive system gently - the traditional 'constitutional' walk after dinner.
It's possible, but then why would I have a bowel movement afterwards (which can be more liquid than optimal so far) and feel great? I think there could a mechanical aspect to it (using core muscles, small jumps etc...), a bit like some form of yoga exercises are said to help digestion. JamesIV reported that working out helped him with digestion when it was getting slower. So in this regard, exercise could have benefits from different perspectives (not only in terms of hormones and bloodflow). It's good to keep in mind that the last two times I did them I was feeling a bit clogged/nauseous from the dinner because I experimented with new things (gelatin, higher fat and protein, a whole mangoe on top of a large meal).
Of course much more experiments are needed, but if people start doing small amounts of HIIT or exercise and notice effects on digestion it would be nice to hear from them.

L

lollipop

It's possible, but then why would I have a bowel movement afterwards (which can be more liquid than optimal so far) and feel great
I remember @haidut explaining that the intensity increases serotonin which causes that bowel movement - especially if loose - that indicates serotonin.

Wagner83

It sounds possible, but I think pushing through in order to adapt and maybe using protective supplements could be OK. The big increase in gh may not be ideal past a certain age, Mark Sisson would disagree.

Wagner83

An update on this:

While the first sprint session boosted my well-being (over two days), the second short sprint session in three days in three days, also fasted in the morning, and which led to loose stools as well, significantly set me back in terms of overall health. I have recovered now. So what can I say, start low, eat and don't be a pig. I suspect the coconut milk I was eating wasn't doing me any favour at all, but we'll see about that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals