Zinc Carnosine Improves Exercise Induced Leaky Gut

A.R

Adding some taurine to any beta alanine supplementation may be helpful. In some rat studies taking (very large doses) beta alanine decreased taurine content in cardiac muscle. Taurine has its own benefits without much negatives, atleast from what I have read, and its cheap. I have used taurine at 3g a day for a while and it has some pretty noticeable anxiolytic effects. Examine.com has noted, based on the literature, that taking 3g a day across the lifespan would be considered safe.
Take it pre-workout, and there is no need to drop the beta-alanine during the experiment.

Would taking around 5g of beta Alanine a day dangerously deplete levels of any other essential amino acid in the long run? I'm thinking of stacking it with Taurine and glycine.

Thanks in advance

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Would taking around 5g of beta Alanine a day dangerously deplete levels of any other essential amino acid in the long run? I'm thinking of stacking it with Taurine and glycine.

Thanks in advance
Probably not. Long term studies find that it's safe. Adding taurine will make it even more safe.

CLASH

@A.R.
I agree with @Hans.
I’d just add some taurine taken at a seperate time, theres not really a drawback to it at moderate doses. Its nice to use post workout or before bed for its GABA effect. Examine.com references a study showing safety of taking 3g of taurine a day over the course of the lifespan.

khan

Using zinc Carnosine for last two weeks for suspected leaky gut and I feel so much better. I had elevated values for rheumatoid factor and had been experiencing a lot of pain in my back and arms. The zinc carnosine has alleviated the pain almost completely.
Which brand you were using?

Dave Clark

golder

Do you think zinc Carnosine would be one of the best forms of zinc to cure a mild zinc deficiency by taking one capsule 3-4 times a week?

golder

@Hans what are you thoughts on his regarding carnosine (reference at the bottom):

L-Carnosine Warning!

MIRACULOUS, LIFE-EXTENDING NUTRIENT OR NEUROTOXIN?

• The dipeptide, carnosine, composed of two linked amino acids, histidine and beta-alanine, occurs naturally only in meat products, has been recently promoted in some publications for the treatment of disorders that may range from neurological degeneration to brain circulatory deficit.
  • The studies described were performed on cell culture experiments, i.e. cells grown in bottles away from a living being, or in rodents. After reading these articles, one may have the notion that taking carnosine is a prerequisite for health, youth and longevity.
It must be considered that every coin has two sides ...
  • Aspartame (NutraSweet), is also a two amino acid peptide (dipeptide) that has been used to sweeten foods and drinks, however, today we know that it may be a dangerous neurotoxin, causing numerous neurological symptoms and disorders.
So, what about carnosine?
  • In the real biomedical world carnosine is significant when the HUMAN body is unable to detoxify itself of it, i.e. break it down. This simply means, when there is an accumulation of carnosine, serious, even life threatening neurological diseases may set in. This condition is referred to as
CARNOSINEMIA

• Carnosinemia is of established biomedical recognition and significance. The condition simply is carnosine overloadperpetrated by either a genetical defect due to a lack of production of the detoxifying enzyme carnosinase, or it can occur from the inhibition of the enzyme by too much of its substrate, carnosine.
  • Saunders DICTIONARY & ENCYCLOPEDIA OF LABORATORY MEDICINE AND TECHNOLOGY, ed. J.L. Bennington, W.B. Saunders and Company, 1984, p.262 defines, "carnosinemia, an inherited condition, transmitted as an autosomal recessive trait, that is characterized by the presence of excessive amounts of carnosine in the blood and urine. Caused by genetic deficiency of the enzyme carnosinase (aminoacyl-histidine dipeptidase), carnosinemia results in progressive neurological damage, severe mental retardation, and myoclonic seizures," as found in Alzheimer's and progressive myoclonous epilepsy, Jacob-Creutzfeldt disease (mad cow or spongy brain diseases), subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, closed head trauma, and hypoxic-ischemic brain injury.
  • A more current reference, TIETZ TEXTBOOK of CLINICAL CHEMISTRY, ed. C.A. Burtis and E.R. Ashwood, W.B. Saunders Company, 1999, p. 452 describes, "carnosinemia, carnosinase deficiency, excessive amounts of carnosine in the blood and urine, also excessive amount of homocarnosine in the urine, with clinical features of severe neurological disease with no effective treatment."
  • It should be realized that an overload of substrate, i.e. carnosine in the present case, will cause the inhibition of the degradation/detoxifying enzyme, carnosinase. As a result, there will be an accumulation of high concentrations of carnosine in the blood and tissues. This carnosine accumulation is the same as induced carnosinemia and potentially, in time it may cause many of the deleterious effects described above.
  • Scientists reported a reduced carnosinase activity in patients with Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, and patients following a cerebrovascular accident, Wassif WS, Sherwood RA, Amir A, Idowu B, Leigh N, Petres TJ, Serum Carnosinase Activities in Central Nervous System Disorders, Clin Chim Acta 1994 Feb;225(1): 57-64.
Might there be a correlation between carnosine overload and these neurological disorders?

• As a conclusion, those who are presently taking carnosine may, in fact, induce the potentially dangerous neurotoxic condition, carnosinemia. Therefore, it is not advisable to supplement with carnosine. In the light of all of the above, one can see one of the true benefits of a vegetarian diet. Patients with neurological disorders such as M.S., Parkinson's Disease, A.L.S. and Alzheimer's Disease could very well benefit from a vegetarian diet.

Dr. E.K. Schandl

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans what are you thoughts on his regarding carnosine (reference at the bottom):

L-Carnosine Warning!

MIRACULOUS, LIFE-EXTENDING NUTRIENT OR NEUROTOXIN?

• The dipeptide, carnosine, composed of two linked amino acids, histidine and beta-alanine, occurs naturally only in meat products, has been recently promoted in some publications for the treatment of disorders that may range from neurological degeneration to brain circulatory deficit.
  • The studies described were performed on cell culture experiments, i.e. cells grown in bottles away from a living being, or in rodents. After reading these articles, one may have the notion that taking carnosine is a prerequisite for health, youth and longevity.
It must be considered that every coin has two sides ...
  • Aspartame (NutraSweet), is also a two amino acid peptide (dipeptide) that has been used to sweeten foods and drinks, however, today we know that it may be a dangerous neurotoxin, causing numerous neurological symptoms and disorders.
So, what about carnosine?
  • In the real biomedical world carnosine is significant when the HUMAN body is unable to detoxify itself of it, i.e. break it down. This simply means, when there is an accumulation of carnosine, serious, even life threatening neurological diseases may set in. This condition is referred to as
CARNOSINEMIA

• Carnosinemia is of established biomedical recognition and significance. The condition simply is carnosine overloadperpetrated by either a genetical defect due to a lack of production of the detoxifying enzyme carnosinase, or it can occur from the inhibition of the enzyme by too much of its substrate, carnosine.
  • Saunders DICTIONARY & ENCYCLOPEDIA OF LABORATORY MEDICINE AND TECHNOLOGY, ed. J.L. Bennington, W.B. Saunders and Company, 1984, p.262 defines, "carnosinemia, an inherited condition, transmitted as an autosomal recessive trait, that is characterized by the presence of excessive amounts of carnosine in the blood and urine. Caused by genetic deficiency of the enzyme carnosinase (aminoacyl-histidine dipeptidase), carnosinemia results in progressive neurological damage, severe mental retardation, and myoclonic seizures," as found in Alzheimer's and progressive myoclonous epilepsy, Jacob-Creutzfeldt disease (mad cow or spongy brain diseases), subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, closed head trauma, and hypoxic-ischemic brain injury.
  • A more current reference, TIETZ TEXTBOOK of CLINICAL CHEMISTRY, ed. C.A. Burtis and E.R. Ashwood, W.B. Saunders Company, 1999, p. 452 describes, "carnosinemia, carnosinase deficiency, excessive amounts of carnosine in the blood and urine, also excessive amount of homocarnosine in the urine, with clinical features of severe neurological disease with no effective treatment."
  • It should be realized that an overload of substrate, i.e. carnosine in the present case, will cause the inhibition of the degradation/detoxifying enzyme, carnosinase. As a result, there will be an accumulation of high concentrations of carnosine in the blood and tissues. This carnosine accumulation is the same as induced carnosinemia and potentially, in time it may cause many of the deleterious effects described above.
  • Scientists reported a reduced carnosinase activity in patients with Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, and patients following a cerebrovascular accident, Wassif WS, Sherwood RA, Amir A, Idowu B, Leigh N, Petres TJ, Serum Carnosinase Activities in Central Nervous System Disorders, Clin Chim Acta 1994 Feb;225(1): 57-64.
Might there be a correlation between carnosine overload and these neurological disorders?

• As a conclusion, those who are presently taking carnosine may, in fact, induce the potentially dangerous neurotoxic condition, carnosinemia. Therefore, it is not advisable to supplement with carnosine. In the light of all of the above, one can see one of the true benefits of a vegetarian diet. Patients with neurological disorders such as M.S., Parkinson's Disease, A.L.S. and Alzheimer's Disease could very well benefit from a vegetarian diet.

Dr. E.K. Schandl

Supplementing carnosine is actually not good at increasing tissue carnosine levels. Supplementing beta-alanine is better in this regard and as far as I know, it has a very good safety profile. Suppressed carnosinase isn't common at all, but if someone is truly concerned, they can always test urinary carnosine.

golder

Thanks Hans. Given that I have low zinc and mild digestive issues, it seems like it would make sense using using zinc carnosine a few times a week to try and kill two birds with one stone?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks Hans. Given that I have low zinc and mild digestive issues, it seems like it would make sense using using zinc carnosine a few times a week to try and kill two birds with one stone?
Sounds good. 75mg of zinc carnosine only has 15mg of zinc in it. If your zinc isn't going up, then adding more zinc might help. Or just eating some oysters often will be even better.

Dave Clark

Sounds good. 75mg of zinc carnosine only has 15mg of zinc in it. If your zinc isn't going up, then adding more zinc might help. Or just eating some oysters often will be even better.
My understanding of zinc carnosine is that it gets used up in the digestive tract, which is good if you have issues there, or want to improve leaky gut, etc., however, the zinc would not be available to the rest of the body, in terms of using it as a whole body supplement. It doesn't seem to be a good choice to improve overall zinc status.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
My understanding of zinc carnosine is that it gets used up in the digestive tract, which is good if you have issues there, or want to improve leaky gut, etc., however, the zinc would not be available to the rest of the body, in terms of using it as a whole body supplement. It doesn't seem to be a good choice to improve overall zinc status.
Most things are rarely ever just local in the body. Yes, the carnosine helps the zinc to be taken up by intestinal cells, but I'm sure not 100% is being absorbed and retained there. Carnosine accumulates in many other areas of the body as well. It's probably not the best supplement to replenish low zinc stores for sure, but it's better than nothing. That's why combining zinc carnosine with zinc glycinate for example is a good idea to optimize gut health as well as fill in a deficiency.

RealNeat

Wouldn't meat be the perfect food to get zinc and carnosine? Why is a supplement necessary.

Take 100gs of steak, which has roughly 5.6mg zinc and at least 50mg (likely more) of carnosine as determined by the minimum I've seen per 100 grams in chicken legs.

Last edited:

Dave Clark

Wouldn't meat be the perfect food to get zinc and carnosine? Why is a supplement necessary.

Take 100gs of steak, which has roughly 5.6mg zinc and at least 50mg (likely more) of carnosine as determined by the minimum I've seen per 100 grams in chicken legs.
My understanding is that zinc and carnosine individually do not work on the gut lining as effectively as the bound form of zinc and carnosine, aka zinc-carnosine. Taking them separately does not have the same benefit on the gut lining, etc.

joaquin

I eat plenty of red meat so no need to supplement with zinc or carnosine as these are present in the right the amounts.

Dave Clark

I eat plenty of red meat so no need to supplement with zinc or carnosine as these are present in the right the amounts.
If you are looking for the gut healing affects of zinc carnosine, you will need to take it in the bound form, if you are just looking to add zinc or carnosine, it 'is' best to take them individually, as the bound form will get absorbed by the gut lining rather than getting absorbed systemically like a singular zinc or carnosine supplement would. The form of zinc, carnosine, or zinc-carnosine to take depends on your reason for taking it. And, yes meat eaters may not need any of the individual zinc or carnosine, but zinc-carnosine is good for reflux, H. pylori, and other stomach issues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom