Edema, heart, breathing, Gut - female

Shontelle

Forum Supporter
I have been dealing with edema in my lower extremities for over seven years, particularly after meals. My legs swell from the knee down to the point of discomfort, as well as my under eyes, hands, and other areas that have water retention. It also happens even if I have one alcoholic beverage , and most beverages if I am being honest.
I recently purchased Lapodin and Mitolipin in the hopes that they will help reduce the inflammation that I believe is causing this issue.

I have a cellulite on my stomach which, as per what I have read, is caused by circulatory issues. I believe that my body's circulatory system is not functioning properly. Additionally, I experience difficulty in breathing deeply; my breaths are shallow. Moreover, I find it difficult to climb a flight of stairs without getting shortness of breath and my legs feel very heavy. In fact, my whole body feels heavy.

The stomach is often bloated and protruded, giving the impression of water retention. The arms and other parts of the body may also appear swollen. To minimize water retention, I start my day with a glass of salted water and remain active without stressing my system. Although I live in warm climates such as Jamaica and Florida, I was born in Canada and lived there until my 40s.

I recently purchased Lapodin and Mitolipin in the hopes of relieving some of my symptoms. I am unsure of how to take them apart. I also completed a 10-day course of ivermectin two months ago that felt like it provided me with significant relief.

Thank you!

Jonk

I have been dealing with edema in my lower extremities for over seven years, particularly after meals. My legs swell from the knee down to the point of discomfort, as well as my under eyes, hands, and other areas that have water retention. It also happens even if I have one alcoholic beverage , and most beverages if I am being honest.
I recently purchased Lapodin and Mitolipin in the hopes that they will help reduce the inflammation that I believe is causing this issue.

I have a cellulite on my stomach which, as per what I have read, is caused by circulatory issues. I believe that my body's circulatory system is not functioning properly. Additionally, I experience difficulty in breathing deeply; my breaths are shallow. Moreover, I find it difficult to climb a flight of stairs without getting shortness of breath and my legs feel very heavy. In fact, my whole body feels heavy.

The stomach is often bloated and protruded, giving the impression of water retention. The arms and other parts of the body may also appear swollen. To minimize water retention, I start my day with a glass of salted water and remain active without stressing my system. Although I live in warm climates such as Jamaica and Florida, I was born in Canada and lived there until my 40s.

I recently purchased Lapodin and Mitolipin in the hopes of relieving some of my symptoms. I am unsure of how to take them apart. I also completed a 10-day course of ivermectin two months ago that felt like it provided me with significant relief.

Thank you!
If you haven't read already. Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging
"Hyperosmotic sodium chloride solutions (e.g., 7.5%) are being used more often for treating trauma and shock, because the concentrated solution increases blood volume by removing water from the extravascular spaces, unlike the "isotonic" saline (0.9% sodium chloride), which usually adds to the edema by leaking out of the blood vessels."

I don't have much more to add unfortunately. I hope you find some help and relief

OP
Shontelle

Shontelle

Forum Supporter
If you haven't read already. Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging
"Hyperosmotic sodium chloride solutions (e.g., 7.5%) are being used more often for treating trauma and shock, because the concentrated solution increases blood volume by removing water from the extravascular spaces, unlike the "isotonic" saline (0.9% sodium chloride), which usually adds to the edema by leaking out of the blood vessels."

I don't have much more to add unfortunately. I hope you find some help and relief
I have not heard of this.. I will definitely look into this. Thank you for sharing.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

bell

I'm sure you're already searching for Peat's articles on edema and breath dysregulation.
Edema, heart and breathing problems can also be a thiamine issue, as it creates a kind of pseudo-hypoxia. Here's some writing bout it: It All Comes Down to Energy - Hormones Matter (the comments below these articles are often gold too)
For the breathing dysregulation, I find benfotiamine is the form that helps me most (a little note, sometimes the source is something else like low salt; if my breath gets dysregulated, I take some extra benfo but not a ton).
I also take TTFD (another form of thiamine), and use Authia cream (TTFD topical) on my ankles. IDK the dosing but it's potent, I use just a little, maybe 1/8-1/4 tsp.
If you do add thiamine, it can make you very tired and even make symptoms worse for several weeks, as functions come back on-board. Here's another article about it from the same author: Refeeding Syndrome in the Context of Thiamine Deficiency - Hormones Matter

OP
Shontelle

Shontelle

Forum Supporter
OP
Shontelle

Shontelle

Forum Supporter
I'm sure you're already searching for Peat's articles on edema and breath dysregulation.
Edema, heart and breathing problems can also be a thiamine issue, as it creates a kind of pseudo-hypoxia. Here's some writing bout it: It All Comes Down to Energy - Hormones Matter (the comments below these articles are often gold too)
For the breathing dysregulation, I find benfotiamine is the form that helps me most (a little note, sometimes the source is something else like low salt; if my breath gets dysregulated, I take some extra benfo but not a ton).
I also take TTFD (another form of thiamine), and use Authia cream (TTFD topical) on my ankles. IDK the dosing but it's potent, I use just a little, maybe 1/8-1/4 tsp.
If you do add thiamine, it can make you very tired and even make symptoms worse for several weeks, as functions come back on-board. Here's another article about it from the same author: Refeeding Syndrome in the Context of Thiamine Deficiency - Hormones Matter
HI Bell.

I Take Thiamine as I read coffee drinkers need more of it. Also the other beneficial atributes it has. I am really at a loss.... I have tried everything.

Jonk

I have tried everything.
From my experience, shallow breathing is another sign of endotoxin/overburdened digestive system. I can only speak from personal experience but for me, a diet consisting of unlimited starches (and not much else) has been very helpful. They often contain some protein, with very high quality protein from potatoes. They do give some bulk which I think my intestines need, and they are easy to pair with a lot of salt. They might be insufficient in protein in the long run, but I feel like they fit my current context. With increased gut permeability and leakiness it feels like dairy, eggs and meat have the potential to do much harm because I'm not in an energetic state to handle and absorb them properly. Since you have digestive issues it might be an avenue to explore, even if only for a few days/a week - lots and lots of rice, potatoes, some well cooked veggies, and fruits. My limited fat sources are currently from coconut oil and coconut milk (to make currys etc).

OP
Shontelle

Shontelle

Forum Supporter
From my experience, shallow breathing is another sign of endotoxin/overburdened digestive system. I can only speak from personal experience but for me, a diet consisting of unlimited starches (and not much else) has been very helpful. They often contain some protein, with very high quality protein from potatoes. They do give some bulk which I think my intestines need, and they are easy to pair with a lot of salt. They might be insufficient in protein in the long run, but I feel like they fit my current context. With increased gut permeability and leakiness it feels like dairy, eggs and meat have the potential to do much harm because I'm not in an energetic state to handle and absorb them properly. Since you have digestive issues it might be an avenue to explore, even if only for a few days/a week - lots and lots of rice, potatoes, some well cooked veggies, and fruits. My limited fat sources are currently from coconut oil and coconut milk (to make currys etc).
You may be right... My intuition is telling me that I cannot handle animal protiens right now. It is very interesting though, as I live by Weston A Price philosophies. I eat ripe fruits in the am, good cheese etc. I do love carbs.. probably my favourite! potatoes especially.

Jonk

You may be right... My intuition is telling me that I cannot handle animal protiens right now. It is very interesting though, as I live by Weston A Price philosophies. I eat ripe fruits in the am, good cheese etc. I do love carbs.. probably my favourite! potatoes especially.
Yeah keep going by your intuition. Make sure to make mental notes of how you feel and reassess. Best of luck

OP
Shontelle

Shontelle

Forum Supporter
Have you been checked for heart failure?
No... I think I should look into it. When I play tennis, I have to stop and catch my breath, put my arms up over my head.. etc

Peatress

Things that have helped my edema are Thiamine, Taurine and Progesterone (Progest E).

Are you getting enough protein?

OP
Shontelle

Shontelle

Forum Supporter
Things that have helped my edema are Thiamine, Taurine and Progesterone (Progest E).

Are you getting enough protein?
I think that was one of the culprits- I eat a lot of protein; as I said “Weston A price” eating. Oxtails, liver etc..

Today I tried a veg based lunch and felt none of the issues. I then ordered a sweet; and the swelling started.
Could this be a sugar issue?

Peatress

I think that was one of the culprits- I eat a lot of protein; as I said “Weston A price” eating. Oxtails, liver etc..

Today I tried a veg based lunch and felt none of the issues. I then ordered a sweet; and the swelling started.
Could this be a sugar issue?
If you are thiamine deficient then it could but you said you supplement thiamine. Is your blood pressure good?

OP
Shontelle

Shontelle

Forum Supporter
If you are thiamine deficient then it could but you said you supplement thiamine. Is your blood pressure good?
What is considered good blood pressure in the eyes of the forum/ Ray peat. I wondered this recently.

Peatress

What is considered good blood pressure in the eyes of the forum/ Ray peat. I wondered this recently.
I guess it depends on your age. Dr. Peat has spoken of higher blood pressure being beneficial in older age. I don't have numbers but this chart is the official numbers

1689027771396.png

ivy

I guess it depends on your age. Dr. Peat has spoken of higher blood pressure being beneficial in older age. I don't have numbers but this chart is the official numbers

View attachment 52765
Dear lord, my blood pressure is at minimum level for 6 to 13 years old. I'm 42… Like OP, I do have some edema and shallow breathing. I suspect I don't have to catch my breath because I don't play sports, I run the occasional sprint and dance, is all. Where is this chart from? Should I be worried? I think orthostatic hypotension is the most relevant symptom I have.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Urea might also help until you are able figure out the root cause.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals