Doritos Knock Me Out/Estrogen/Aromasin

rei

Probably pufa. About a year ago I used sunflower oil to make popcorn when I was house-sitting for relatives for a couple days. It was the only cooking oil they had. Also the first time I used a high-pufa oil in ages. The smell was awful, taste wasn't great, but it gave me the best sleep I'd had in months. Coconut oil, which I normally use, doesn't have that effect for sure.
Thinkg about this... When I was trying to follow the lowest PUFA diet, my sleep was also the worst ever, waking up many times during the night. Hmm...
Like the mouse study supposedly demonstrating the essentiality of EFA, PUFA can be protective/prevent problems if your environment does not meet the nutritional demand of the higher metabolic rate. It is better to drive slowly than to redline the engine with a nearly empty tank that lets some air into the gas line when taking tight turns. Another way to demonstrate it is to take "normal" amounts of thyroid while having been in prolonged hypothyroid state.

My guess is that the higher base metabolic rate depleted glycogen and caused massive cortisol spike that waked you up. Eat more saturated fat in the evening or increase ability to store glycogen. Reduce inflammation, this will spare glycogen for other processes and increase ability to store it. But don't use PUFA for it ;)

Last edited:

opethfeldt

Doritos could probably be considered a "comfort food". That's probably why you get sleepy. However, just because something makes you feel good acutely doesn't mean it's going to be beneficial long term. That said, do what works for you. Only long term experimentation will tell you if this is something you should sustain.

OP
maillol

maillol

Don't worry I have no intention of eating doritos every night. I've increased my carbs and lowered my fat and protein recently which seems to be helping with sleep.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals