Chamomile Knocks Me Out

raypeatclips

I had a cup of chamomile for the first time today, using a teabag from a supermarket, a couple of hours later I felt absolutely knocked out and had to go to sleep at around 7pm, and felt like I couldn't fight through the sleepiness if I wanted to stay up. It reminded me of the first time I took cyproheptadine. My usual bed time is after midnight usually, so this is quite a difference.

I was surprised at how potent this was, considering I see a few people drinking them during the day, and it is just a regular chamomile teabag I bought from the supermarket. Anybody have any idea whats going on here?

From my single experience tonight I would recommend people with sleep issues to give it a go a few hours before bed, I am very surprised and more interested in chamomile after my experience, and going to research it further.

akgrrrl

I had a cup of chamomile for the first time today, using a teabag from a supermarket, a couple of hours later I felt absolutely knocked out and had to go to sleep at around 7pm, and felt like I couldn't fight through the sleepiness if I wanted to stay up. It reminded me of the first time I took cyproheptadine. My usual bed time is after midnight usually, so this is quite a difference.

I was surprised at how potent this was, considering I see a few people drinking them during the day, and it is just a regular chamomile teabag I bought from the supermarket. Anybody have any idea whats going on here?

From my single experience tonight I would recommend people with sleep issues to give it a go a few hours before bed, I am very surprised and more interested in chamomile after my experience, and going to research it further.

Man, the BRAND whats the brand? Camomile is one of those herbs whose potency increases with curing/drying, as opposed to live enzymes and compounds in fresh herbs. I only have 72 hours in aromatic botanicals officially, but been on that path for some years. Please reveal. And on a side note, I wonder every time I see your icon if you have a Viszla. I will be working for a friend in October taking care of his personal female who is to become one of the most worthy broodbitches of all time. They are the most amazing companion dogs ever.
Oops, edit: wrong icon person, sorry

Jennifer

Anybody have any idea whats going on here?
Awesome stuff, huh? Chamomile contains apigenin which relaxes the nervous system/adrenals. It's probably one of the most popular herbs recommended for sleep and is a common ingredient in baby skincare products for this very reason. I drink chamomile tea religiously to help with my weak adrenals and even make a balm with chamomile oil, rose and vanilla in a base of coconut oil that I apply to my skin before bed when I'm feeling overstimulated and anxious.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Chamomile contains apigenin which relaxes the nervous system/adrenals

Yep, apigenin is a potent GABA agonist, a cortisol reducer, and aromatase inhibitor. Basically, what progesterone does and that is not surprising considering apigenin is a phytoprogestogen.
Phytoprogestogen - Wikipedia

Btw, I don't think you have weak adrenals. There is no such thing unless the person has Addison disease, which is rare and unless treated causes very serious issues very quickly. The popular "weak adrenals" diagnosis is usually actually enlarged adrenals from chronic stress that have their DHEA/progesterone producing layers atrophied while the cortisol producing layer is intact and hypertrophied. So, the person produces mostly cortisol/estrogen and little progesterone/DHEA, which makes the person feel weak, tired and wobbly. Thyroid, progesterone, DHEA, etc supplementation can restore adrenal layers and previous sense of vitality.

Tenacity

Interesting thread, thanks guys. I might experiment with this for my own sleep issues.

Wagner83

Yep, apigenin is a potent GABA agonist, a cortisol reducer, and aromatase inhibitor. Basically, what progesterone does and that is not surprising considering apigenin is a phytoprogestogen.

CaptainBM had posted this https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/chamomile-boosts-biosynthesis-of-glycine.23996/
. So I guess it must boost GABBA a lot, which is funny since I talked about my unpleasant experience with it and at times chamomille has felt anti - androgenic (e. g. less deeply resonating voice) and relaxing.

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

Man, the BRAND whats the brand? Camomile is one of those herbs whose potency increases with curing/drying, as opposed to live enzymes and compounds in fresh herbs. I only have 72 hours in aromatic botanicals officially, but been on that path for some years. Please reveal. And on a side note, I wonder every time I see your icon if you have a Viszla. I will be working for a friend in October taking care of his personal female who is to become one of the most worthy broodbitches of all time. They are the most amazing companion dogs ever.
Oops, edit: wrong icon person, sorry

The brand was Morrison's own brand camomile tea. Just regular supermarket brand.

https://groceries.morrisons.com/web...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPTAlaHFr9wCFeci0wodfdgL2Q

Btw, I don't think you have weak adrenals. There is no such thing unless the person has Addison disease, which is rare and unless treated causes very serious issues very quickly. The popular "weak adrenals" diagnosis is usually actually enlarged adrenals from chronic stress that have their DHEA/progesterone producing layers atrophied while the cortisol producing layer is intact and hypertrophied. So, the person produces mostly cortisol/estrogen and little progesterone/DHEA, which makes the person feel weak, tired and wobbly. Thyroid, progesterone, DHEA, etc supplementation can restore adrenal layers and previous sense of vitality.

Interesting, thanks. I've recently been including more parsley in my diet due to apigenin, and I believe it was a much more concentrated source of it, so I didn't consider it was the apigenin at first. Good stuff!

Jennifer

Yep, by weak I mean atrophied tissues or degeneration and not necessarily a feeling of weakness. I refer to any deteriorated tissue as weak. Sorry for the confusion. Thyroid and Progest-E supplementation didn't help, but thank you for mentioning them. :)

Frankdee20

There’s two types of chamomile, the German and Roman. One may be more commonly used, and have better benefits. Not sure which. It’s not as estrogenic as some other herbs. It acts as a 5ht3 antagonist, that’s why soothes a belly. The GABA action isn’t as clearly defined. It’s a nice nervine.

akgrrrl

The brand was Morrison's own brand camomile tea. Just regular supermarket brand.

https://groceries.morrisons.com/web...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPTAlaHFr9wCFeci0wodfdgL2Q

Interesting, thanks. I've recently been including more parsley in my diet due to apigenin, and I believe it was a much more concentrated source of it, so I didn't consider it was the apigenin at first. Good stuff!

Thank you so much for the brand mention. Morrisons is not "regular supermaket" fare here, and your link allows me to order it and try. I have tried several brands here from the supermarket and found them dull, dry tasting and unsatisfactory. A great share, thanks.

superGrover

Im a bit late to this (tea-)party, but chamomile has thesame effect on me as on Raypeatclips. The last two days I downed 4 cups of them spread thoughout the day.
Here are my findings:
The flaky skin on my face felt more even, softer, and looked more even.
I became less irritable, but that may have been because of the knocking out effect.

I quit it now, as my energy levels have plummeted on and after the last two days.

Dennis

Lokzo and superGrover, what chamomile brands of do you use? The few times I tried chamomile, it's been a non-event. It was some no-name brand.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Wagner83

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought the real chamomile flowers from the wild and I quite like it. I mostly use it after dinner.

Jennifer

Thanks for suggesting the milky oats, @Makrosky! :) I'll order some and give it a try.
superGrover said:
And all the best for the new year to everyone on this forum!
Same to you, superGrover! :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals