Dizziness/parathyroidectomy

Elast1c

Not sure if it's been asked but a family member recently had parathyroidectomy and is suffering with some serious dizziness that doesn't abate. Does anyone knew what causes this or how to reduce it? She is currently taking calcium but cannot move much at all. Any answers would be greatly appreciated

dannibo

You must be mistaken, a parathyroidectomy would mean your relative would now be dead.

OP
E

Elast1c

Oh, my mistake, she had a nodule removed from her parathyroid

OP
E

Elast1c

I'm just taking care of my sick relative she had a tumerous nodule removed and is so nauseaus she had to go to emergency today......If I knew how to change the title I would be happy to.

Last edited:

Nathan777

You must be mistaken, a parathyroidectomy would mean your relative would now be dead.

What? Plenty of people have removal of one or more of their parathyroids and live quite nice lives...

Obviously check serum calcium, PTH, and D3 levels. Possibly reaction to anesthesia or nerve damage from surgery? How long ago was operation? I can't think of anything specific to the removal of a parathyroid adenoma that would cause dizziness though assuming adequate calcium intake to support large PTH decrease. I just had a parathyroidectomy last week and PTH dropped from 70 pre-op to 6 post.

OP
E

Elast1c

She was at 300 pth and is now below 10. Calcium to 9. It has been a week that she has been in recovery and she is taking calcium and some vitamin d....they say it is k own to happen and to give it time but i'm not sure how long given most people who get the diziness dont have any clear answer besides to take tums. They said she was dehydrated as well. I've never been so thirsty I get dizzy but maybe it is common. Thank you very much for the response

Nathan777

She was at 300 pth and is now below 10. Calcium to 9. It has been a week that she has been in recovery and she is taking calcium and some vitamin d....they say it is k own to happen and to give it time but i'm not sure how long given most people who get the diziness dont have any clear answer besides to take tums. They said she was dehydrated as well. I've never been so thirsty I get dizzy but maybe it is common. Thank you very much for the response

Calorie intake adequate/high? I've seen people mention caloric needs being much higher after surgery for repair and healing, and of course plenty of liquids (milk, OJ, broth, coffee etc.). Also electrolytes.

OP
E

Elast1c

She definitely does coffee. I'm guessing it probably was some kind of electrolyte problem with all the falling calcium. I will try to insure she gets enough calories and check in with her today

She definitely does coffee. I'm guessing it probably was some kind of electrolyte problem with all the falling calcium. I will try to insure she gets enough calories and check in with her today

if she's dizzy coffee might not be the best... i remember one time i drank coffee and it really gave me light headedness, i think it was related to glycogen not being able to build, maybe check her cortisol

OP
E

Elast1c

Thank you all for the responses, I believe it was most likely a bad electrolyte dysfunction from the calcium that seemed to cause it. At the hospital they gave her electrolytes and I think some kind dramamine or something similar. @mayweatherking thank you as well. It was right the coffee was also causing it to be worse but since she had fatigue she kept trying to drink it.

Happy to report she not only feels no diziness but says she hasn't felt this good in years. She now interestingly cannot drink as much caffiene as she used to since it gives her too much energy lol. Thanks again all, wish you the best concentrations of carbon dioxide

fradon

Not sure if it's been asked but a family member recently had parathyroidectomy and is suffering with some serious dizziness that doesn't abate. Does anyone knew what causes this or how to reduce it? She is currently taking calcium but cannot move much at all. Any answers would be greatly appreciated
parathyroid controls calcium...so she might have too much or too little depending on how its working. also her vitamin D could be off as well. also what kinda of calcium is she taking. calcium citrate may have msg in it so she might do better with a different kind like calcium orotate

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals