Severe Stomach Pain, Possible Caused By Gastroenteritis. Serotonin A Culprit?

Soren

Forum Supporter
Have a family member who is currently suffering from severe pains in her mid to upper right abdomen. At first we thought it might be a gallbladder issue.

Went to the hospital, she had a CT scan and it came up negative for everything; gallbladder, appendicitis, legions, bleeds. Only thing that could be seen was a slight inflammation of the stomach lining.

Doctor gave her strong pain killers and sent her home. Still in lots of pain and is seeing a gastroentologist today.

Serotonin and Parkinson's disease as a Cause?
She suffers from Parkinson's disease and is often sad, depressed, nervous and paranoid as a result. I do not believe that she has ever had her serotonin levels measured but I would wager that they are quite high especially in her gut. I do not know if this is the case but I would assume that Parkinson's disease has an effect on serotonin formation in a negative way. She is not on any traditional medicine for Parkinson's disease such as dopamine uptake promoters etc.

My questions are;

1) Is it possible that her severe abdominal pain is the result of high amounts of gut serotonin?

2) What would such a disease be called and how does one diagnose it?

3) What treatment options would be good to combat high serotonin levels and what are the risks associated with said treatment?

Greatly appreciate the help and advice.

Last edited:

michael94

um no... probably a stomach parasite of some kind ( and stomach acid will hurt when stomach lining is damaged ) maybe h. pylori. Chronic poor digestion ( due to stomach being weak and acid low ) is heavily implicated in brain problems because you ALWAYS end up with dysbiosis high endotoxin etc. Do not give her anti-serotonin drugs it can do more harm than good in case of infection because you ignore body cues and damage yourself further.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
@icecreamlover. Thanks, i thought it might be a reaction between aspirin and a parasite or bacterium of some kind. I believe i read somewhere on the forums that was a possibility with aspirin, but she has not been on aspirin for about 3 weeks. The pain however does not appear to be located directly in her stomach, it seems to be in the place where her gallbladder would be which is why that is what we suspected at first. Mid-upper abdomen right side.

I've edited the original post accordingly to be more specific.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
um no... probably a stomach parasite of some kind ( and stomach acid will hurt when stomach lining is damaged ) maybe h. pylori. Chronic poor digestion ( due to stomach being weak and acid low ) is heavily implicated in brain problems because you ALWAYS end up with dysbiosis high endotoxin etc. Do not give her anti-serotonin drugs it can do more harm than good in case of infection because you ignore body cues and damage yourself further.

Also I did not know that poor digestion was associated with brain porblems but it makes sense if you look at brain diseases as a metabolic issue and energy inefficiency/insufficiency issue.

You say not to give her anti-serotonin drugs, I agree, I was not planning to as the stuff prescribed by the medical industry for serotonin can be disastrous. However, do you think giving her things such as charcoal and raw carrot salad would be advisable, given slowly over time so as not to overload her digestion?

What about something like lisuride or Ritanserin?

Thanks

EIRE24

What's the best way to get stomach acid going without the obvious HCL supplements? Thyroid?

tara

Is the pain continuous or intermittent? How long for?
Have the very basics, like constipation and gas, been completely ruled out? I've heard of people going to emergency dept with crippling gut pain, only to have it suddenly resolve as things got moving again. Gas can be crippling too. But not usually continuous for a long time.
Could it be bad luck and a nasty but temporary bacterial/viral infection?

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Is the pain continuous or intermittent? How long for?
Have the very basics, like constipation and gas, been completely ruled out? I've heard of people going to emergency dept with crippling gut pain, only to have it suddenly resolve as things got moving again. Gas can be crippling too. But not usually continuous for a long time.
Could it be bad luck and a nasty but temporary bacterial/viral infection?

Pain has been for 4 days and is pretty consistent, the pain never subsides but it can lessen slightly. she is on pretty strong painkillers which she is reluctant to take because she is afraid they will mask the problem, but a few times shes had to take them because the pain has been to great. Constipation gas etc have been ruled out. She had scans to see if there were any blockages etc and if there was anything more malignant like tumors or growths.

Could be bacterial/viral infection, but how does one test for that? She is on penicillin but only for the past couple of days.

tara

Could be bacterial/viral infection, but how does one test for that? She is on penicillin but only for the past couple of days.
Viral I don't know, but they often sort themselves out in a few days.
Bacterial: antibiotics as she is doing - hopefully that will sort it out in a short time. Or garlic? Activated charcoal to help carry away toxins etc?
No doubt there are other possible causes, these ones just seem among the most common causes of gut pain.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
thanks @tara. Didn't know garlic had an antibiotic affect. How does that work?

tara

I think there's a substance or range of substances in raw garlic that is quite strongly anti-bacterial (and anti-fungal).
But raw garlic can also be rough on the gut lining itself, especially if it is particularly sensitive or damaged. So the anti-biotics may be better from that PoV.
If she does try garlic, I would try quite a small quantity to start with, just in case there is damage that gets aggravated by it.
Thebigpeatowski has written about using a lot of garlic to good effect for herself.
I have not seen Peat particularly recommend garlic.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
thanks @tara i'll check out thebigpeatowski writings on it.

thebigpeatowski, hilarious/great username btw :laughing:

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Just an update,

Apparently she has been diagnosed with shingles. Which I was surprised by given the location and severity of the pain. Does anyone have any recommendations as to treat shingles. I am guessing that it has the same root causes of stress and a poor metabolism etc, but any specifics would be great so I can work to better understand what is out of balance for her.

For example, could it be estrogen dominance, cortisol, prolactin, endotoxin. I really have no idea when it comes to shingles.

tara

I'm sure I've read one ore two things here about shingles, but don't remember much, other than going easy on the foods high in arginine. My vague recollection is that either some specific B-vit, or maybe a combination of them, is one useful support. Is it one of those things exacerbated by nitrous oxide, that anti-NO tactics can help with? Someone here has written about how she deals with it - was it @Birdie? I think if you search for shingles or herpes you might find more. I think it's the chicken pox virus (one of the herpes variants) gone into hiding in the nerves, come out to play when it gets the chance, typically very painful.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Thanks @Giraffe, I actually bought her @RedLightMan near infrared device for her a couple of months ago to help with her back pain, I'll tell her to start using and report back.

mujuro

My cousin applied MesoSilver to the cold sores on her lips and they literally disappeared overnight. They typically last 2 weeks for her.

L

lollipop

High doses of Lysine - 8,000-10,000mg a day divided doses until outbreak soothes and disappears. Also Progest - e directly on the pain area might help (my client put on a Herpes outbreak and it healed it miraculously fast) as it is a high serotonin and high estrogen condition along with NO like Tara mentioned above.

Pointless

Ray Peat recommends hydroxycobalamin for nitric oxide.

"One of the most interesting approaches to inhibiting carbon monoxide production is to use vitamin B12, as hydroxocobalamin, as an antidote to nitric oxide, preventing the nitric oxide from stimulating the formation of heme oxygenase."

It has to be hydroxycobalamin. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16990191

Birdie

Yes, I have written somewhere about my experience with shingles/Herpes zoster. I've been able to ward the thing off. It's not simple but includes lysine, diet, essential oils mixture, B12. Aspirin. Please look it up... my log and maybe elsewhere. Do a search like @tara suggested please. It's too hard for me to list it all here.
In my situation, the condition returns, I treat it immediately and it remises. I watch the lysine/arginine ratio constantly to prevent flares. Good luck to her, @Soren .