Mum with Parkinson's and Covid bad symptoms help.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Try to find a doctor. Tell them you fear she suffers from beri-beri. Read up on the symptoms of severe thiamine deficiency.

Thiamine is known for poor intestinal absorption which is why the dose for oral thiamine hcl is so high. The choices are oral or injection or IV infusion. Transdermal application is never mentioned; I don't think it works. IV infusion or injection would work very quickly and would get the doctor's attention. Dr. Costantini's patients' videos are inspirational because the improvements shown happened so quickly.

Yea it is impressive it should be noted though that they also used L-dopa which is not to say that the thiamine was not instrumental Dr Costantini says it is key but just to say that Thiamine alone may not be enough. My mother is currently not on L-dopa but a dopamine agonist so I'm hopeful that combined with the thiamine will be beneficial. I've ordered her some thiamine HCL.

mostlylurking

Yea it is impressive it should be noted though that they also used L-dopa which is not to say that the thiamine was not instrumental Dr Costantini says it is key but just to say that Thiamine alone may not be enough. My mother is currently not on L-dopa but a dopamine agonist so I'm hopeful that combined with the thiamine will be beneficial. I've ordered her some thiamine HCL.
I think that Dr. Costantini said that thiamine doesn't help much with the tremors of PD, that the L-dopa is better for that. But taking the thiamine hcl alone stopped my hand tremor; I had had it for about a month so it was early in the onset.

Good luck; glad you're going to give it a try.

LeeBee

From Haidut's thread: Serotonin, SSRI drugs may be the cause of IBD, Parkinson's, diabetes, etc. | Ray Peat Forum

"Thus, while using serotonin antagonists would likely be therapeutic for any of the above mentioned conditions (as the study below actually demonstrated), a more systemic approach would be to simply keep the microbiome in check by eating easily digestible food and ingesting sufficient amount of insoluble fiber daily, or periodically taking antibiotics and/or charcoal, as all of those approaches ultimately result in lower endotoxin/LPS and/or bacterial biomass in the GI tract.

Btw, while endotoxin/LPS is the major factor driving 5-HT production in the GI tract, there are other factors that we should keep in mind. For example, mechanical stress such as twisting, tossing, jerking, vibrating, etc of the intestines can also easily trigger 5-HT production.....

Finally, while 90%+ of 5-HT is synthesized in the GI tract, the brain can also synthesize 5-HT (from the amino acid tryptophan). Tryptophan uptake into the brain can be increased by lack of sufficient dietary protein, since a number of the other amino acids compete for uptake into the brain with tryptophan and reduction in the supply of those other amino acids leaves tryptophan brain entry unopposed, ultimately resulting in elevated brain 5-HT synthesis. Finally, even protein intake is sufficient, a rise in lipolysis (due to stress, fasting, low-carb diets, etc) displaces tryptophan from albumin (where it is normally bound) and that increase in unbound tryptophan allows it to enter the brain in higher amounts, which also results in increased 5-HT production.

TLDR: To limit the risk of any of these chronic diseases - avoid stress (including its more furtive examples like fasting, low-carbing, protein deficiency, etc), eat easily digestible food, and keep your gut as clean/sterile as possible."

Bolds added by me.. birdie
so is it better to limit milk intake (not sure about other dairy foods) given its higher tryptophan content? what about turkey meat?

Birdie

so is it better to limit milk intake (not sure about other dairy foods) given its higher tryptophan content? what about turkey meat?
Not sure why you deduced that stopping milk would be a good idea. Turkey and chicken possibly. They are high in tryptophan. Ray does not advise eating them, or emphasizing them at least. He gives reasons why milk is good. He's written articles on his website about these topics.

Sergey

Mum has come down with covid and unfortunately she also has Parkinson´s disease. This has made all her symptoms significantly worse I think this is because Covid greatly increases serotonin and PD also is a disease of excess serotonin.

She has all the symptoms of someone who has serotonin syndrome; bad muscle cramps, excess sweating, shakes, anxiety a constant need to move, freezing. It is really bad.

Only think I can think to help relieve her so far is cyproheptadine and magensium but she is quite a difficult patient and it is very difficult to get her to take anything. Today i managed to giver 2mg topically twice so 4mg in total, which i do not think is enough for her condition.

Does anyone know what the typical dose is for someone who is suffering from this serotonin syndrome effects. Does anyone have any other suggestions please help.
If covid is still an issue maybe lysine can be helpful. We have seen quite significant reduction in covid symptoms after staring lysine, similar to C. Kagan’s report which has been discussed here last year. Lysine is also somewhat anti-serotonin.

Lysine is commonly used to control herpes replication and there have been reports of connection between herpes type 1 and Parkinson.

Birdie

If covid is still an issue maybe lysine can be helpful. We have seen quite significant reduction in covid symptoms after staring lysine, similar to C. Kagan’s report which has been discussed here last year. Lysine is also somewhat anti-serotonin.

Lysine is commonly used to control herpes replication and there have been reports of connection between herpes type 1 and Parkinson.
Thanks for these thoughts.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals