Cyproheptadine Prevents / Reverses Soft Tissue Calcification

Philomath

Giraffe-
Your post has me thinking. I'm seeing some interesting correlations with what @haidut posted.
1. Cypro, a known antihistamine, prevents calcification.
2. Baldness, male pattern balding, has been known as "ivory dome syndrome" due to heavy calcification on the sculls of bald/ing cadavers.
3. A rise in calcium initiates a histamine secretion Regulatory role of calcium on histamine secretion. - PubMed - NCBI
So could balding be due to a scalp infection/histamine response due to excess calcium?
Could it be similar to infant "cradle cap"?
image.jpeg

Let me know what you think

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Giraffe-
Your post has me thinking. I'm seeing some interesting correlations with what @haidut posted.
1. Cypro, a known antihistamine, prevents calcification.
2. Baldness, male pattern balding, has been known as "ivory dome syndrome" due to heavy calcification on the sculls of bald/ing cadavers.
3. A rise in calcium initiates a histamine secretion Regulatory role of calcium on histamine secretion. - PubMed - NCBI
So could balding be due to a scalp infection/histamine response due to excess calcium?
Could it be similar to infant "cradle cap"?
View attachment 2753
Let me know what you think

What is this skin condition on the picture? The person seems to have scaly skin on the scalp. Is this just dandruff or something else like psoriasis or keratosis?

Philomath

What is this skin condition on the picture? The person seems to have scaly skin on the scalp. Is this just dandruff or something else like psoriasis or keratosis?

That is Cradle Cap. I just chose a random picture but many infants with CC display what looks like male pattern baldness.
Per Wikipedia:
Cradle cap, also known as infantile or neonatal seborrhoeic dermatitis, crusta lactea, milk crust, honeycomb disease, is a yellowish, patchy, greasy, scaly and crusty skin rash that occurs on the scalp of recently born babies.
Similar symptoms in older children are more likely to be dandruff than cradle cap. The rash is often prominent around the ear, the eyebrows or the eyelids. It may appear in other locations as well, where it is called seborrhoeic dermatitis rather than cradle cap.
Doctors do not agree on what causes cradle cap, but the two most common hypotheses include fungal infection and overactive sebaceous glands. Cradle cap is an inflammatory condition.[3]

A common cause of cradle cap appears to be a common manifestation of biotin insufficiency. This may be due, in part, to the influence of biotin on fatty acid biosynthesis. Possibly it has to do with overactive sebaceous glands in the skin of newborn babies, due to the mother's hormones still in the baby's circulation. There may be a relationship with skin yeasts (Pityrosporum ovale, newly renamed Malassezia furfur).[2] Seborrheic dermatitis is the adult version of cradle cap.[4]

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
That is Cradle Cap. I just chose a random picture but many infants with CC display what looks like male pattern baldness.
Per Wikipedia:
Cradle cap, also known as infantile or neonatal seborrhoeic dermatitis, crusta lactea, milk crust, honeycomb disease, is a yellowish, patchy, greasy, scaly and crusty skin rash that occurs on the scalp of recently born babies.
Similar symptoms in older children are more likely to be dandruff than cradle cap. The rash is often prominent around the ear, the eyebrows or the eyelids. It may appear in other locations as well, where it is called seborrhoeic dermatitis rather than cradle cap.
Doctors do not agree on what causes cradle cap, but the two most common hypotheses include fungal infection and overactive sebaceous glands. Cradle cap is an inflammatory condition.[3]

A common cause of cradle cap appears to be a common manifestation of biotin insufficiency. This may be due, in part, to the influence of biotin on fatty acid biosynthesis. Possibly it has to do with overactive sebaceous glands in the skin of newborn babies, due to the mother's hormones still in the baby's circulation. There may be a relationship with skin yeasts (Pityrosporum ovale, newly renamed Malassezia furfur).[2] Seborrheic dermatitis is the adult version of cradle cap.[4]

OK, thanks for the info.

aguilaroja

:
...Cradle cap, also known as infantile or neonatal seborrhoeic dermatitis,...is a yellowish, patchy, greasy, scaly and crusty skin ras ...on the scalp
...cradle cap appears to be a common manifestation of biotin insufficiency...
While biotin deficiency may produce hair loss and other hair changes (brittleness), these studies suggest that biotin did not relieve infantile seborrhoeic dermatitis:

Infantile flexural seborrhoeic dermatitis. Neither biotin nor essential fatty acid deficiency.
Oral use of biotin in seborrhoeic dermatitis of infancy: a controlled trial. - PubMed - NCBI

Wikipedia cites this article for the paragraph including biotin:
Clinical inquiries. What's the best treatment for cradle cap? - PubMed - NCBI
I have not seen the full article. I am not familiar with recent research supporting biotin supplementation to relieve cradle cap, when no biotin deficiency is present. There is evidence that biotin deficiency (due to low biotin in baby formula) causes hair loss and scaly dermatitis:

Biotin deficiency in an infant fed with amino acid formula. - PubMed - NCBI

As an aside, Lithium gluconate gel has been shown to be effective in treating some seborrhoeic dermatitis:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12828753
Lithium gluconate in the treatment of seborrhoeic dermatitis: a multicenter, randomised, double-blind study versus placebo. - PubMed - NCBI

Sodium and potassium are alkali metals as well (as Dr. Peat has noted). It is possible that metabolism supporting sodium and potassium function would help. A recent study finds that all these salts precipitate free fatty acids. Either fatty acid removal from the skin or starving problematic microorganisms may be beneficial.

Precipitation of free fatty acids generated by Malassezia - a possible explanation for the positive effects of lithium succinate in seborrhoeic der... - PubMed - NCBI
Precipitation of free fatty acids generated by Malassezia - a possible explanation for the positive effects of lithium succinate in seborrhoeic dermatitis.

paymanz

@Parsifal and other member posted an study showing it only increase testosterone, but yeah some other studies also show its estrogenic.

allblues

Since all the anti-bone factors, serotonin/prolactin/cortisol/estrogen etc are opposed by cyproheptadine, would it not be helpful
for things like osteoporosis? I feel there should be some studies on that but i can't find any.
How does/should cyproheptadine affect the bones?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Since all the anti-bone factors, serotonin/prolactin/cortisol/estrogen etc are opposed by cyproheptadine, would it not be helpful
for things like osteoporosis? I feel there should be some studies on that but i can't find any.
How does/should cyproheptadine affect the bones?

There are studies, just not with cyproheptadine. Google "ray peat antiserotonin anabolic bone".

paymanz

Since all the anti-bone factors, serotonin/prolactin/cortisol/estrogen etc are opposed by cyproheptadine

by being so its for sure is good for bones but i guess it could be even better if it wasnt a dopamine antagonist.

paymanz

interesting,i recently heard in a raypeatclips video that ray mentioned dopamine as a cause of fibrosis along with serotonin,so cypro prevent and reverse calcification of soft tissue not only by opposing serotonine but also by anti dopamine effects.

Horse Fighter

I just want to share that cyproheptadine gave me the same reaction as vitamin k2 on my athletes foot, but faster, in a week with cypro 4mg/day i had the same reaction with vitamin k2 which took a bit longer 3/4 weeks.

tomisonbottom

I just want to share that cyproheptadine gave me the same reaction as vitamin k2 on my athletes foot, but faster, in a week with cypro 4mg/day i had the same reaction with vitamin k2 which took a bit longer 3/4 weeks.

What do you mean by "reaction"......a good one, or a bad one?

Momado965

Human equivalent dose was about 12mg daily, duration was just 4 days. Cyproheptadine prevented AND reversed soft tissue calcification by acting as an anti-heparin agent, which is similar to what vitamin K2 does.

EFFECT OF CYPROHEPTADINE ON A TOPICAL CALCIFICATION IN THE RAT. - PubMed - NCBI

"...In the rat, cyproheptadine prevents the soft-tissue calcification elicited by various mast-cell depletors at their subcutaneous injection site. This action does not appear to result from the anti-histaminic anti-serotonin properties of cyproheptadine, which showed in addition an in vitro anti-heparin effect."

would you say it works for hair loss in regards to reversing calcification?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
would you say it works for hair loss in regards to reversing calcification?

I think there are published human case studies and full animal studies showing antihistamines having benefit for hair loss. Some of them are posted on the forum somewhere.

Momado965

I think there are published human case studies and full animal studies showing antihistamines having benefit for hair loss. Some of them are posted on the forum somewhere.

Do you think combining it with k2 would speed up decalcification?

YourUniverse

Human equivalent dose was about 12mg daily, duration was just 4 days. Cyproheptadine prevented AND reversed soft tissue calcification by acting as an anti-heparin agent, which is similar to what vitamin K2 does.

EFFECT OF CYPROHEPTADINE ON A TOPICAL CALCIFICATION IN THE RAT. - PubMed - NCBI

"...In the rat, cyproheptadine prevents the soft-tissue calcification elicited by various mast-cell depletors at their subcutaneous injection site. This action does not appear to result from the anti-histaminic anti-serotonin properties of cyproheptadine, which showed in addition an in vitro anti-heparin effect."
Hey haidut, can you think of any other anti-heparin agents, other than vitamin K2 and cypro? Maybe aspirin (but probably not in combination with cypro)?

By chance, have you stumbled upon effective ways to de-calcify parts of the brain? Or does that still clump in with "soft-tissue"?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals