Excess iodine exposure acutely increases salivary iodide and antimicrobial hypoiodous acid concentrations in humans

Jamsey

This study shows that taking iodine increases the formation of hypoiodous acid. Hypoiodous acid is a very strong anti microbial, with special activity against fungus. This is more evidence of Travis’s theory of potassium iodide as a strong anti fungal.

Potassium iodide is most certainly highly effective, it is also: safer, cheaper, and more available than synthetic azole constructs. This does not negatively-affect the thyroid, and you can even buy it from ebay.com.

Lehrer, R. I. "Antifungal effects of peroxidase systems." Journal of bacteriology (1969)

The reason the iodide ion (I⁻) works is likely because of the enzyme neutrophil myeloperoxidase, which converts in into the hypoiodite ion (IO⁻) using a hydrogen peroxide (H₂O₂) cosubstrate and a heme cofactor. The second greatest risk factor for candidiasis—and for all yeast & fungal infections in general—is neutropenia, or having low concentrations of circulating neutrophils. Studies on rats both consistently and plainly demonstrate the importance of neutrophils, and more elaborate genetic knockout studies prove myeloperoxase accounts for nearly all of this activity. Injections of only myeloperoxidase, the bare enzyme itself, have been shown to greatly enhance in vivo yeast killing potential and greatly promote survival.

Although neutrophil myeloperoxidase can convert the more ubiquitous chloride ion (Cl⁻) into hypochlorite (ClO⁻) in an analogous manner: the iodide product is always shown more effective in in vitro combat assays, those pinning Neutrophils vs Fungi. Upon incubation with sodium or potassium iodide, yeast cell wall chitin has analytically been found iodinated after such neutrophil/fungi interactions—ostensibly by myeloperoxidase acting through a hypoiodide (IO⁻) intermediate. The efficacy of hypoiodide relative to the other hypohalide products (ClO⁻, BrO⁻, SCNO⁻) can be understood by noting: (1) hypoiodite is second only to hypothiocyanite (SCNO⁻) in oxidizing potential; (2) the kinetic rate of formation is the greatest for hypoiodide (IO⁻), meaning that more of this can be formed per unit time than any other; (3) iodide is most lipophilic of the group, enhancing its affinity for yeast cell membranes; (4) hypotiodite's conjugate acid has the highest Pka of the series, meaning that most will actually exist in the protonated hypoiodous acid form (HIO). [The neutral electronic charge of hypoiodous acid (HIO) means that it's the only hypohalide that is not repelled by the negatively-charged yeast cell membrane.] Thus: hypoiodous acid (HIO) is the most effective product of myeloperoxidase, the most effective enzyme against yeast that—in turn—also happens to be one secreted by the most effective immune cell type against same.
Neutrophil myeloperoxidase has consistently been shown to enhance the survival of several species of small furry animals. These effects of course not limited to rodents, and potassium iodide—i.e. the preferred myeloperoxidase substrate—has clinically been used for human yeast/fungal infections for centuries. Potassium iodide is still used in countries having less pharmaceutical presence, and between 1–3 grams per day are often given with very few side effects; that observed in 5% of cases can be attributed to an increased concentration fungal 'die-off' metabolites. This certainly works in humans, and massive tumors of Basidiobolus haptosporus have been veritable dissolved in this manner:

Even high doses do not appreciably effect thyroid hormone concentrations because the substantial volume of the extracellular space compartment, and iodide's (I⁻) natural affinity for it, prevents plasma iodide (I⁻) concentrations from undergoing large fluctuations. Iodide of course naturally ionically-associates with polysaccharides, perhaps why plasma levels remain stable after even gram-sized doses. Extracellular glycogen and fatty membranes act analogously to a 'buffer,' or a 'ballast,' in this scenario; toxicity only appears to occur at levels over 20 grams per day. And perhaps surprisingly, side effects from über-megadose KI has more to do with the potassium ion than with the iodide ion.

This certainly shouldn't be viewed as a reason for avoidance; even sodium chloride can be fatal at 30 grams per day.

Makrosky

Travis’s theory of potassium iodide as a strong anti fungal
Travis theory? WTF? :tearsofjoy:
Everybody knows iodine is a strong bactericide and anti fungal for at least 150 years.
This is why it is used in medicine to disinfect wounds, etc. It is used to kill critters on water before drinking, etc.

Jam

Hi Mak!

Even high doses do not appreciably effect thyroid hormone concentrations because the substantial volume of the extracellular space compartment, and iodide's (I⁻) natural affinity for it, prevents plasma iodide (I⁻) concentrations from undergoing large fluctuations. Iodide of course naturally ionically-associates with polysaccharides, perhaps why plasma levels remain stable after even gram-sized doses. Extracellular glycogen and fatty membranes act analogously to a 'buffer,' or a 'ballast,' in this scenario; toxicity only appears to occur at levels over 20 grams per day. And perhaps surprisingly, side effects from über-megadose KI has more to do with the potassium ion than with the iodide ion.

Pure gold. May Wolff-Chaikoff rot in hell forevermore. Should stick that one in my sig...

OP
J

Jamsey

Travis theory? WTF? :tearsofjoy:
Everybody knows iodine is a strong bactericide and anti fungal for at least 150 years.
This is why it is used in medicine to disinfect wounds, etc. It is used to kill critters on water before drinking, etc.
Lol yes iodine is known as a strong anti microbial. I, however, have not seen another source talk about hypoiodous acid as the mechanism of action behind anti fungal effects. So yes travis’s theory

geusterman

I’d like to jump in with a brief anecdotal experience joining my wife by taking 50 mg a day of iodine when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I have osteoarthritis in both knees and struggle just to keep my fitness going much less ever skiing again or riding my bike etc. Within a couple of weeks my osteoarthritis pains it was half of what it had been. I knew it was the iodine and experimented with that. My naturopath told me that a lot of osteoarthritis is fungus related. Regarding my wife, the combination of iodine and fenbendazole and six months brought her condition to benign. We celebrated. The poor surgeons, radiologists, endocrinologists and chemotherapy guys got left out on this one.

Makrosky

@geusterman happy for your wife :) Congrats for being so brave. Regarding the knees, I can relate:

A few years ago before Peating, my knees used to crack/make noise (not pain) and when taking high doses of potassium iodide the crack/noise would go immediately away and only reappear when stopping using it.

For some reason my knees do not crack/make noises anymore regardless if I take iodine or not. But I don't put so much strain on them as I used to so it could be that.

Peater

I’d like to jump in with a brief anecdotal experience joining my wife by taking 50 mg a day of iodine when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I have osteoarthritis in both knees and struggle just to keep my fitness going much less ever skiing again or riding my bike etc. Within a couple of weeks my osteoarthritis pains it was half of what it had been. I knew it was the iodine and experimented with that. My naturopath told me that a lot of osteoarthritis is fungus related. Regarding my wife, the combination of iodine and fenbendazole and six months brought her condition to benign. We celebrated. The poor surgeons, radiologists, endocrinologists and chemotherapy guys got left out on this one.
That's a fascinating report and great news for you and your wife!

Peater

Yessir, 150mg per day keeps the Wolff-Chaikoff away.
mg as in milligrams? Just confirming as I expect that to be the case, I've been reading some of the iodine threads here recently. You and the other 'pro' posters make some very interesting points. I'm interested in the fungal/arthritis aspect after learning about the same with regard to boron. That didn't make much difference to my shoulder, frustrating as I was convinced it would. It seemed like the missing piece.

Jam

mg as in milligrams? Just confirming as I expect that to be the case, I've been reading some of the iodine threads here recently. You and the other 'pro' posters make some very interesting points. I'm interested in the fungal/arthritis aspect after learning about the same with regard to boron. That didn't make much difference to my shoulder, frustrating as I was convinced it would. It seemed like the missing piece.
Yes, 3 drops of SSKI.

Peater

Yes, 3 drops of SSKI.
Thanks - so it's all going well for you? I'd have to try and dig back through the thread(s) but you've been using it for a while now I think? What brand do you use? I am familiar with Lugol's but that is iodine as well as iodide - you prefer pure iodide?

Jam

Thanks - so it's all going well for you? I'd have to try and dig back through the thread(s) but you've been using it for a while now I think? What brand do you use? I am familiar with Lugol's but that is iodine as well as iodide - you prefer pure iodide?
Very well, I don't think it alone cured the arthritis-like symptoms I used to have (was probably the combination of KI, d3, k2, and various quinones), but it definitely did halt my periodontal disease.

I mix my own SSKI, it is fairly easy -- saturate a volume (ml) of heated distilled water with an equal amount, in grams, of KI powder, shaking vigorously.

Makrosky

Please do. Check for my posts on those threads about the importance of supplementing selenomethionine with it. It is of vital importance.

Jam

Please do. Check for my posts on those threads about the importance of supplementing selenomethionine with it. It is of vital importance.
This is always a good idea, even though, to be pedantic, it is likely not necessary when supplementing with KI (vs. something which also contains I2 like Lugol's).

Makrosky

This is always a good idea, even though, to be pedantic, it is likely not necessary when supplementing with KI (vs. something which also contains I2 like Lugol's).
I don't get it as pedantic. We are here to learn and share. The most famous MDs that work with iodine to treat patients (Brownstein, Flechas, etc.) say it is needed. Granted, they mostly use Lugol. But the old iodine curezone forum is filled with stories of people having problems because not using it. I would not skip it, really.

Also, keep in mind one thing is acute use to treat some lung stuff, infection, etc. and another thing is daily usage for months/years.

Jam

I don't get it as pedantic. We are here to learn and share. The most famous MDs that work with iodine to treat patients (Brownstein, Flechas, etc.) say it is needed. Granted, they mostly use Lugol. But the old iodine curezone forum is filled with stories of people having problems because not using it. I would not skip it, really.

Also, keep in mind one thing is acute use to treat some lung stuff, infection, etc. and another thing is daily usage for months/years.
We're in agreement, better safe than sorry. As long as it is selenomethionine.

Peater

@Jam @Makrosky I ordered Weyland SSKI and some 200mcg Selenium Methionine capsules today so will see what happens, using my long-standing shoulder pain as a marker. If it helps, great - then maybe we can chat about if it was the anti-fungal aspect, or something else.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom