Exercise causes (and worsens) arterial calcification

haidut

Forum Supporter
A great new study sent to me by one of my readers. It will more than likely cause a lot of controversy, despite its findings having a very simple explanation. Namely, chronic exercise increases baseline cortisol and over time, cortisol (acting through the aldosterone/mineralocorticoid receptor) causes vascular calcification. High aldosterone, caused by chronic salt restriction can also do the same.

Chronic exercise also increases prolactin and serotonin, which increase PTH and this also drives bone resorption and subsequently deposition of this calcium from bones into soft tissue. Btw, as the study below suggests, the severity of calcification seems to be dependent on both the intensity of exercise and its duration. So, what's the solution? Well, first of all make sure you don't overexert yourself on a long-term basis, and if it is short-term exercise it is not of an intensity/pace that leaves your breathless. It doesn't even have to be exercise. Any time of chronic stress resulting in elevation of the stress hormones will have the same effect as long-term exercise discussed in the study below. Another thing that can be done as prevention is using substances that block the negative effects of cortisol. Pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA, T/DHT and vitamin D are some of the steroids with directly anti-cortisol effects. Aspirin, emodin, vitamin A, sugar, saturated fat, salt, etc are some of the dietary measures that may achieve the same if one does not wish to use steroids.

Physical activity and the progression of coronary artery calcification | Heart
"...Results We analysed 25 485 participants with at least two CAC score measurements. The proportions of participants who were inactive, moderately active and HEPA were 46.8%, 38.0% and 15.2%, respectively. The estimated adjusted average baseline CAC scores (95% confidence intervals) in participants who were inactive, moderately active and HEPA were 9.45 (8.76, 10.14), 10.20 (9.40, 11.00) and 12.04 (10.81, 13.26). Compared with participants who were inactive, the estimated adjusted 5-year average increases in CAC in moderately active and HEPA participants were 3.20 (0.72, 5.69) and 8.16 (4.80, 11.53). Higher physical activity was association with faster progression of CAC scores both in participants with CAC=0 at baseline and in those with prevalent CAC. Conclusion We found a positive, graded association between physical activity and the prevalence and the progression of CAC, regardless of baseline CAC scores."

shine

Under the Peat paradigm, is the only valid physical activity...walking?

Painting and squeezing oranges is enough physical activity.

muscular-man-with-orange-fruit-picture-id962131484

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Under the Peat paradigm, is the only valid physical activity...walking?

Walking is indeed great. Running is probably also fine but only while glycogen-bound - i.e. as soon as the glycogen is depleted and fatty acid oxidation starts then it is no longer beneficial. The intensity should also be such that one can hold a conversation without gasping for air. He also mentioned swimming in one recent show and has always spoken favorably about concentric exercise - contracting the muscle with a load, but removing the load when relaxing it. Traditional weight lifting and most exercises have both components, so not ideal. Exercises that are mostly concentric include things like climbing stairs, pushing heavy objects horizontally or even at small incline, throwing things like baseball/basketball, etc.

Apple

Walking is indeed great. Running is probably also fine but only while glycogen-bound - i.e. as soon as the glycogen is depleted and fatty acid oxidation starts then it is no longer beneficial. The intensity should also be such that one can hold a conversation without gasping for air. He also mentioned swimming in one recent show and has always spoken favorably about concentric exercise - contracting the muscle with a load, but removing the load when relaxing it. Traditional weight lifting and most exercises have both components, so not ideal. Exercises that are mostly concentric include things like climbing stairs, pushing heavy objects horizontally or even at small incline, throwing things like baseball/basketball, etc.
riding a bicycle ?

BRMarshall

Yeah but skiing until one can barely walk up and down stairs, while being in a full afterglow of the exhilaration...and then
wanting to go again the next day...!
Not exercise...fun!

E

eat my peat

so a 20 minute, double kettlebell routine involving:

clean & press / front squat / swings

+ some dips and rows on parallel bars is not favourable?

i feel damn good doing it everyday...

Most athletic-based training is concentric in nature, plyometrics/jumping, sprinting, throwing. It also happens to be one of the best things you can do to improve mobility as well. Most athletic-based movements like sprinting and throwing are "opposite" in nature as you go across. IE what's happening on one side of the body is the opposite of the other side of the body.
I question though whether the long-term benefits of gaining muscle outweigh the detriments as long as the stress is minimized and you're not overworking yourself. Also, brings the question of how much weight training will you really need to gain muscle if you're metabolically healthy with high androgens? The whole "gorilla don't lift weights argument"

Herbie

Don't run if you can walk. Don't walk if you can stand. Don't stand if you can sit. Don't sit if you can lie down.

Lou Holtz

E

eat my peat

Don't run if you can walk. Don't walk if you can stand. Don't stand if you can sit. Don't sit if you can lie down.

Lou Holtz
This quote feels profound yet makes zero sense to me at the same time.

Do what you need to do and nothing more?

area51puy

Forum Supporter
I have a very physically demanding job which I do for 8 to 12 hours a day. Is there any particular supplements i can take to off set this?

Vileplume

Lately, I’ve been lifting weights 45 minutes every-other-day, and it doesn’t feel excessive compared to what I used to do, which was 3 miles of running every single day.

Still, I gotta make sure I can breathe through my nose the whole time. Avoid breathlessness.

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

I have a very physically demanding job which I do for 8 to 12 hours a day. Is there any particular supplements i can take to off set this?

Look into serrapeptase and vitamin K2. The latter supposedly helps prevent deposition of calcium into soft tissues (like blood vessels)

Pullups also.

Most athletic-based training is concentric in nature, plyometrics/jumping, sprinting, throwing. It also happens to be one of the best things you can do to improve mobility as well. Most athletic-based movements like sprinting and throwing are "opposite" in nature as you go across. IE what's happening on one side of the body is the opposite of the other side of the body.
I question though whether the long-term benefits of gaining muscle outweigh the detriments as long as the stress is minimized and you're not overworking yourself. Also, brings the question of how much weight training will you really need to gain muscle if you're metabolically healthy with high androgens? The whole "gorilla don't lift weights argument"
Agree. Also after building a good foundation it’s pretty easy to maintain it.

YourUniverse

Pavel Psatsouline's "greasing the groove" seems to be very healthy. He talks about doing exercises, multiple times a day, but with a very light weight - if you can do 10 pullups, he recommends doing 3-5, but doing 3-5 every few hours throughout the day. The cool thing is actually produces a LOT of strength, and not a little. Perhaps something like that, where you're never out of breath, can produce results without degenerating health.

DennisX

So intense and a lot of SEX, which is very intense exercise, causes mitochondrial damage and arterial calcification? I call BS. Or perhaps no more sex for peaties.

Vileplume

So intense and a lot of SEX, which is very intense exercise, causes mitochondrial damage and arterial calcification? I call BS. Or perhaps no more sex for peaties.
I can’t recall the last time sex made me breathless, but maybe I haven’t been doing it right.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals