Cortisol - Getting It Under Control

fever257

Hey guys,

I wanted to make another post since I always get some good replies on here.

I wanted to inquire about cortisol. I believe i might have really high amounts of it, and I haven't really found any sure-fire ways to combat it, besides progesterone and maybe CO2.

A couple things have led me to believe I have cortisol. First, I used finasteride for a period of ~8 months still believe I have issues with the activity of the 5AR enzyme. @haidut mentioned in danny's most recent episode(#27) that one of 5AR's function is to break down cortisone into its less potent form, cortisol. So I think that may be an issue.

Next, I have some visceral fat around my belly that I cannot get rid of no matter what I do. It's extremely frustrating. Everyone online recommends fasted cardio for burning the fat, but once glycogen is depleted from the liver, our bodies release cortisol. (Breakfast and Fasted Cardio – Is it Really Worth it?) Not to mention the stress hormones that are already released upon waking due the fact that sleep and darkness are pretty big stressors, according to Ray.

Morgan

Definitely ignore the recommendation for fasted cardio; both can be potentially destructive to metabolic health, and in turn keeping you under a cycle of relying upon stress hormones. I think it's generally best to not try an force any immediate change in cortisol levels, but rather to keep focusing on improving your overall metabolism, and of course those changes can take some time.

I know theanine has been noted to be very effective at reducing cortisol, but my experience with it after a week or so was very negative.. I'm still not really sure why; could have been dosage, or maybe some sort of sensitivity. Still, it could be worth exploring if you are careful and start with a very small dose(like 25-75mg). Coffee with or after a high carb meal is probably a much safer way of reducing cortisol~

Adding some threads that may be helpful
Coffee Inhibits Cortisol Synthesis
Glycine Powerfully Lowers Cortisol
The Anti-cortisol Effects Of Niacinamide

Last edited:

Ismail

Hey guys,

I wanted to inquire about cortisol. I believe i might have really high amounts of it, and I haven't really found any sure-fire ways to combat it, besides progesterone and maybe CO2.

A couple things have led me to believe I have cortisol. First, I used finasteride for a period of ~8 months still believe I have issues with the activity of the 5AR enzyme. @haidut mentioned in danny's most recent episode(#27) that one of 5AR's function is to break down cortisone into its less potent form, cortisol. So I think that may be an issue.

Next, I have some visceral fat around my belly that I cannot get rid of no matter what I do. It's extremely frustrating. Everyone online recommends fasted cardio for burning the fat, but once glycogen is depleted from the liver, our bodies release cortisol. (Breakfast and Fasted Cardio – Is it Really Worth it?) Not to mention the stress hormones that are already released upon waking due the fact that sleep and darkness are pretty big stressors, according to Ray.

Hey bud, this is what has really helped me keep stress at bay, hope it helps you too somewhat:

- Phosphatidylserine (800mg a day, split in 3 doses, i.e. 300mg morning, 300mg lunch time, 200mg evening)
- Pregnenolone, 50mg a day (only been on this for just over a week, but it's amazing, not to mention the amazing skin!)
- L-theanine, 200mg a day on an empty stomach

Hope this helps :)

Ismail

Definitely ignore the recommendation for fasted cardio; both can be potentially destructive to metabolic health, and in turn keeping you under a cycle of relying upon stress hormones. I think it's generally best to not try an force any immediate change in cortisol levels, but rather to keep focusing on improving your overall metabolism, and of course those changes can take some time.

I know theanine has been noted to be very effective at reducing cortisol, but my experience with it after a week or so was very negative.. I'm still not really sure why; could have been dosage, or maybe some sort of sensitivity. Still, it could be worth exploring if you are careful and start with a very small dose(like 25-75mg). Coffee with or after a high carb meal is probably a much safer way of reducing cortisol~

Adding some threads that may be helpful
Coffee Inhibits Cortisol Synthesis
Glycine Powerfully Lowers Cortisol
The Anti-cortisol Effects Of Niacinamide

Thank you for the links, I'm def gonna read those threads.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey guys,

What's your diet like?
Vitamin A, D and niacinamide can inhibit the conversion of cortisone to cortisol, so maybe that's something that can help with your excess cortisol.
Like already mentioned on this thread, using supplements to calm the adrenals can also work great.

opethfeldt

I think the most important thing for cortisol is to minimize serotonin, since it's sort of the master controller for cortisol release. You can take things that lower cortisol but if serotonin is high, you'll just end up in a high cortisol state again as soon as you encounter stressors. For me, an anti serotonin drug like cypro or metergoline is best for this purpose but there are other options as well.

ddjd

pregnenolone (100mg life extension)
glycine
phosphatidylserine
DHT (very effective)
b2 r5p
regular flushing niacin
selenium
aspirin
activated charcoal

Connor888

pregnenolone (100mg life extension)
glycine
phosphatidylserine
DHT (very effective)
b2 r5p
regular flushing niacin
selenium
aspirin
activated charcoal

Can I ask why you recommend life extension pregnenolone specifically? I ask because it has quite a few fillers in it.

OP
fever257

fever257

Hey everyone!

I've completed revisited my approach and my lifestyle. Before, I was just trying to eat recommended foods, minimize stress, and experiment with various beneficial substances.

Now, I suspect I am pre-diabetic and I am acquiring multiple test results in the near future in order to get a better picture of my health. I appreciate all the suggestions in this thread though so thank you!

wavelength123

pre-diabetes comes with the whole package. High serotonin > high cortisol > high blood sugar.

You need to eat more fat, avoid hypoglycemia (which triggers cortisol) and eat a bit of sugar. Think dopamine from foods. Dark chocolate, beef nose to tail, full fat dairy. Whatever you enjoy and gives you that dopamine kick.

Avoid starches and lean muscle meats at all cost. I think this should be priority #1 for anyone trying to optimize their diet and appearance tbh.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals