Consciousness, Cognition, Perception

Diokine

I've noted some interesting things over the past few months, and I wanted to write my thoughts down and share them.

I had noticed that my sense of smell seemed to change depending on the state of my health. Days with bad sleep seemed to diminish smell. Certain drugs and foods would effect my sense of smell. I started to pay attention to the area behind my nose, where the business of smelling seems to happen. It was easy to notice that some things really changed this feeling, in particular boiled juices from things like parsley and cilantro. I'll notice a change before a bowel movement, or when I go outside for example.

So I looked at the olfactory system, it's quite incredible and I recommend reading a little on it. The point was that the olfactory system is constantly remodeling, and in someone with depression for instance there are morphological differences than in someone not depressed. Similarly, if the olfactory bulb is removed, the animal will become depressed.

Then I was noticing the connection between my eyes and my nose. Or, how the feeling behind my noise correlated with my visual attention span. I think the rate with which we move our eyes and scan the environment is direct feedback into the state of our nerves and also our pace of thought. And so when I was smelling well, my gaze was direct and it was easier to focus on something.

It's very interesting, with enough attention before long I was breathing through the nose very instinctually, with short in and out breaths, like sniffing. The movement of air through your nasal passages creates very complex nervous signals and helps to modulate your state of perception. Deep, relaxed breathing is very comforting.

____

Then there is a connection with dopamine, serotonin, prolactin, etc.,. I've been working to make my life interesting, I'm a novelty seeker in general so I've had to learn ways to work with my brain to be more effective. I experimented with several types of dopamine agonists and serotonin antagonists, and also an experiment in poisoning myself with tobacco smoke for a few months. These experiments gave me a really rough idea of how the motivation system works in the brain, the feeling when things are right, when they're wrong, and how these things effect my sense of well being.

I was noticing the changes in blood flow to my brain, after things like meals or after being outside for 15 minutes. I became aware of the very subtle sensation that comes with temporary vascular changes in the brain, or bigger ones that lead to something like headache. These changes in blood flow always lead to a change in the "tension" of eye movement. Dopamine agonists had a pretty profound effect here, along with a slightly loopy or dizzy feeling. They also changed the way my body was using thyroid, and caused some changes in my thyroid gland itself it felt like.

Drareg

I think within a few years scent will be shown to have potent effects on enzyme expression,when you sense of smell is down regulated it could be a protective mechanism from the body which is already in a low energy state,expressing enzymes that require more energy will not be good,it's possible animals will have down regulated scent approaching hibernation.
It's known already how Smell effects enzymes but it's still complex, Peat has been speaking of terpenes lately and they are involved with scent,ants for example use terpenes as their main communicative device.

Remember the "gay bomb" we spoke about on here? It was a gas that gets inhaled I believe,causes rats to try mount cats, the ending scene in the movie "perfume,story of a murderer" is not so far away!

Thoushant

I've noticed the vision and smell thing. When I meditate, I sometimes force my eyes down and toward the nose, if that makes sense. Not long after that my nose clears up(mostly clogged, on cypro now).
Some days into meditating I become very aware of smells around me, so I think for me it's something to do with having a quiet mind and observe.

Do you think there is a connection to extraoccular muscles? I've noticed I'm more dreamy and detached when my eye gaze has a slight control force back of and above the eye,

Regina

I've noticed the vision and smell thing. When I meditate, I sometimes force my eyes down and toward the nose, if that makes sense. Not long after that my nose clears up(mostly clogged, on cypro now).
Some days into meditating I become very aware of smells around me, so I think for me it's something to do with having a quiet mind and observe.

Do you think there is a connection to extraoccular muscles? I've noticed I'm more dreamy and detached when my eye gaze has a slight control force back of and above the eye,
fwiw, my zen teacher advises to keep both the chin and gaze up (or level). He doesn't like the chin down (though not jutting out) and looking just 3 feet beyond ourselves. Free and unrestricting sight of everything. Not self-referential.
lol fwiw

Thoushant

@Regina,
haha, yeah I guess it's best to go about it level eyed :p
It feels very dominating to force the eyes down, defenitly not healthy, but for me it's about finding balance.
Self-referential much, I find the subtle neck and face forces influences my upper chakras, so I might play around with it. Jaw(with skull) rotating down and up makes me way more in control of how I want to sound.

Btw, half off-topic, but have you seen how baldness sufferers have a different gaze than typical? Most have a slight cross-eyed look and feel active. Bald people have a locked non cross eyed look. I'm wondering how that relates to the emotional brain of it all.

Regina

@Regina,
haha, yeah I guess it's best to go about it level eyed :p
It feels very dominating to force the eyes down, defenitly not healthy, but for me it's about finding balance.
Self-referential much, I find the subtle neck and face forces influences my upper chakras, so I might play around with it. Jaw(with skull) rotating down and up makes me way more in control of how I want to sound.

Btw, half off-topic, but have you seen how baldness sufferers have a different gaze than typical? Most have a slight cross-eyed look and feel active. Bald people have a locked non cross eyed look. I'm wondering how that relates to the emotional brain of it all.
Yeah, the positions matter. I tend to look down too much in aikido--thinking through the movements helps keep me from being intimidated by the partner. But this same teacher would roar at me, "Head UP!!!! Cut-through!!" Cut-through the self-referential mind. I only mentioned it because is not likely one would hear it elsewhere. There are not that many Rinzai zen practitioners. Most are Soto and Soto meditation is about the wiping the mirror clean. (self-referential).
Everything about one's aikido changes as soon as you stop looking at the floor. The partner should just represent another ego to up against. Same with zazen.

With the really famous swordsman lineage, they actually even lean forward in zazen. With them, it's chin is level, eyes open looking out and chest forward--it's "empty" yet there is a kind of simmering alert energy right into the teeth of readiness. I can only do that kind for a few minutes. I might do it for two minutes just before class.

This (below) is the current Soke (head) of a 500yr old sword dynasty. Very famous dude. He told me his grandfather told him zazen was always done leaning forward a bit (like 3 inches more than might be considered normal) by all the serious zen sword schools. (like Takuan). In the clip, the kata (forms) become a moving meditation of a unified body and mind where no gaps creep in.
(wait for it. the 2:35 in the clip!)

Thoushant

Everything about one's aikido changes as soon as you stop looking at the floor. The partner should just represent another ego to up against. Same with zazen.

This (below) is the current Soke (head) of a 500yr old sword dynasty. Very famous dude. He told me his grandfather told him zazen was always done leaning forward a bit (like 3 inches more than might be considered normal) by all the serious zen sword schools. (like Takuan). In the clip, the kata (forms) become a moving meditation of a unified body and mind where no gaps creep in.
(wait for it. the 2:35 in the clip!)

Sounds interesting Regina, I'm writing you a pm when I come around it some more. It's a struggle to watch Youtube for now, in China.
The 3 inch thing sounds like the ultimate "trust your gut" practiced.
@Diokine I liked your observations & olfactory input, it's a realization there's hope, how the smallest choices in life can affect you, very empowering.
I'm amazed and astronished when I read idioms and phrases that describe and change perception for some time, at how much different states of consciousness are already "hidden" in common language. It's paralyzing to think of..

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals