Altered Sense of Smell, taste

onechoice

good day and thank everyone who contributes to all for health of all. thank you. i have an interesting observation happening now. the sense of smell and taste is altered for about 6-8 weeks or so since january. what is very interesting is that smells are 'divided' into fragrance notes. i smell some fragrance notes. for example i have an essential oil which i bought to add to my hair condition as i usually like the smell. it is not a medical grade ess. oil so is questionable in the quality. in the case of this oil (now brand of patchouli, 4 oz) the only fragrance that comes through is a smell that smells like motor oil, definitely a petroleum product smell, maybe the distillate? no patchouli fragrance there. the cat poop which usually burns the lining of the nose is not doing that and onions do not make the eyes water or nose run. really do not like it. just wondering here is others have experienced these things and how long did it take to 'recover' and what did you do to resolve it. yes, many have posted about smell and taste. are there any there with this and have you resolved it yet. thank you!!

Lilac

I am still recovering my taste and smell 2 1/2 years after being ill with something in the Covid era. I was at about 2 percent power for months, and recovery has been slow. I kept trying different things. I would say I am at about 80 percent now.

*shellfish (Dr. Peat's recommendation, and this helped--I ate shrimp, canned oysters, and fresh oysters)
*tumeric (I put this into gelatin capsules and it seemed to help a little)
*vitamin A drops in the nostrils (this was from a study Haidut post; this markedly helped)
*Dr. Ellie's mouth-hygiene protocol: Dr. Ellie's program thread

Perfumes and colognes are a whole category that are still distorted for me. They are less unpleasant than they were, but not one bottle smells the way it should. Sometimes I detect a tiny improvement in this area, like 1 percent at a time.

Onions are still distorted in taste for me, and they do not make me cry, either. I used to be quite sensitive to cutting onions.

Basil is an herb that does not smell even a little like it should. This is very frustrating!

HeyThere

At the worst of it almost 3 years ago I smelled things like burning rubber/tires, and rotting meat, but I still have smell loss mostly in the mornings. I think in my case it has to do with inflammation (??) because I'll be getting ready for work and sometimes when I'm in the bathroom reaching for something behind me or whatever (the action is usually turning my head) I'll all of a sudden smell the shampoos in my shower really strongly for a split moment. Otherwise I am completely noseblind to them for years now. I have chronic high stress and worries so that ain't helping things.

twillisdc

Similar story as the others. No smell after whatever that sickness was, then altered smell: burning leaves, refried beans or B.O., Anyway, what ultimately helped was lots of zinc. I was taking about 5 mg per day but someone explained that I needed lots more so I took 25 mg at one time and my smell came back for a day or so then altered again. I assume I was "burning" through it. So I have bumped it up about once per week for a few months and now back to normal.

pondering

Similar story as the others. No smell after whatever that sickness was, then altered smell: burning leaves, refried beans or B.O., Anyway, what ultimately helped was lots of zinc. I was taking about 5 mg per day but someone explained that I needed lots more so I took 25 mg at one time and my smell came back for a day or so then altered again. I assume I was "burning" through it. So I have bumped it up about once per week for a few months and now back to normal.
What kind of zinc did you take (glycinate, picolinate, oxide, etc)? Also, what brand if I may ask?

HeyThere

What kind of zinc did you take (glycinate, picolinate, oxide, etc)?

Excellent question.

Now that I think about it, I also got some smell back when I was taking 15mg of Zinc for a short while. It was very little, but I noticed it.

BTW, always take Copper to offset the extra Zinc intake (not at the same time).

Last edited:

twillisdc

It was zinc picolinate that worked. Karuna brand but it does include copper with it. FYI, it can make you somewhat nauseous on an empty stomach.

Perry Staltic

Selenium should be taken with zinc because it is required to release Zn from its transporter proteins. You can have plenty of zinc that's not bioavailable because of too little Se

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals