"Slow Movement" Advocates A Cultural Shift Toward Slowing Down Life's Pace

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Heard about this movement recently and knew immediately I want this. :lol:

Wikipedia said:
The Slow Movement advocates a cultural shift toward slowing down life's pace. It began with Carlo Petrini's protest against the opening of a McDonald's restaurant in Piazza di Spagna, Rome in 1986 that sparked the creation of the Slow Food organization. Over time, this developed into a subculture in other areas, like Cittaslow (Slow Cities).

"Professor Guttorm Fløistad summarizes the philosophy, stating:"

"The only thing for certain is that everything changes. The rate of change increases. If you want to hang on you better speed up. That is the message of today. It could however be useful to remind everyone that our basic needs never change. The need to be seen and appreciated! It is the need to belong. The need for nearness and care, and for a little love! This is given only through slowness in human relations. In order to master changes, we have to recover slowness, reflection and togetherness. There we will find real renewal."

More at link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_movement

Been trying this for a bit, its very hard to snap out of fast movement mode. But when I can, its a much nicer place. :D :hattip

CoolTweetPete

I constantly work on slowing down the pace of my life, but it is definitely a challenge for me. I've grown accustomed to doing things rather quickly, I talk, type, and walk fast, and these actions seems to dictate the pace at which my mind is moving whether I like it or not.

Meditation has helped more than anything.

Yesterday I was thinking about how Danny Roddy told me he doesn't own a car, and this is how he's able to get enough natural movement every day. I wish this was feasible for me because I think this would be a big step toward slowing down my life.

Have you adopted any of these philosophies yet yourself, Charlie?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
CoolTweetPete said:
post 108181 I've grown accustomed to doing things rather quickly, I talk, type, and walk fast, and these actions seems to dictate the pace at which my mind is moving whether I like it or not.
Yes, I know that feel. It's very stressful and always has me in alert/fight or flight mode it seems, fast fast fast, go go go. I also think living on adrenaline/cortisol helps facilitate this mode.

CoolTweetPete said:
post 108181 Meditation has helped more than anything.
Meditation is great! :D

CoolTweetPete said:
post 108181 Have you adopted any of these philosophies yet yourself, Charlie?
Meditating and trying to live in the now, that's about it.

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am not saying I want to join this movement, basically I just want to get out of that fast mode action. Its much more peaceful. :D

Nighteyes

I agree completely with what you guys are saying - I love the slow mode! I have become the annoying driver everyone hates because I dont rush though traffic and speed like everyone else. Suddenly driving at the allowed speed limit is annoying to people... Speed kills, people!

CoolTweetPete

Nighteyes said:
post 108186 I agree completely with what you guys are saying - I love the slow mode! I have become the annoying driver everyone hates because I dont rush though traffic and speed like everyone else. Suddenly driving at the allowed speed limit is annoying to people... Speed kills, people!

Couldn't agree more with this.

I've tried slowing down on the road, but people around you become very irritated. Eventually I find myself speeding like them, and I have to remind myself to slow down, and just let them pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarmander

I am totally down with this. I have found that if I can get like an hour of sun in the desert, usually while lying on the actual ground, my life seems to slow way down on its own accord. I know earthing is sometimes taken as woo-woo, but being in contact with the grass, a tree, the earth, really helps with this.

Cliff Myles

As long as our "energy slaves" keep flowing from the ground and a Malthusian Catastrophy doesn't hit us
we're snug as the proverbial bug-in-a-rug. BUT, history has shown that things can change in a heartbeat.

Population, the elephant in the room

... don't get too comfortable yet ;)

A hundred years ago most people worked hard a full 1/2 of their time earning/producing just enough to stay
alive, - there were no "entitlements". If our entitlement economy falters, there will be a lot of problems.

I never took a chance on the "system", but bought a small farm where I can grow my own organic food
and live off-grid independently from the established "Matrix". Some of that was learned while I lived
among the Amish from 1999 to 2001 in order to learn farming with horses. (I speak Pennsylvania Dutch)

I worry about "Millenials" -- if you put a sack of flour and a bag of beans in front of them, they would
starve to death. They are totally dependent on the "Matrix" for their existence, in thought and nourishment.

Rappaport has a good insight into the Matrix with his many blogs... here's just one:
Jon Rappoport: The elite television anchor: mouthpiece for the Matrix

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom