ANHEDONIA - modern life kills dopamine: coping mechanisms further compound problem - book: Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence

sunny

This is not news, lol, but making post that might help someone.

I sometimes listen to NPR while driving. They have some interesting interviews. I happen to catch a Hidden Brain interview with Dr. Anna Lembke. Author of Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence.

It talked about how all of the "modern conveniences" - social media, food, internet, access to anything right now- weed, food, binge watching shows, FB, instagram, twitter, etc etc etc - are causing a problem with our natural production of dopamine - and how going on a dopamine diet may be the best way to restore your natural production.

She talks about her realization that she had gotten addicted to "digital romance novels" - which she realized was a sexual addiction.

I have not read the book- but the interview was very interesting.

If you are struggling with anhedonia - maybe this might be helpful.

To realize that weed is not helping, food is not helping, constantly scrolling through anything is not helping.

It makes me think about my daily scrolling of my Ray Peat Forum - lol.

It is probably the answer to how people acquire more things, are more digitally "connected", and are still not happy.

How people can be happier and healthier with a very simple life.

OP
S

sunny

No more than 10 minutes a day on the forums, now that would be a challenge for me..
Yes, me to.
I rationalize it that I am on a forum trying to learn more about the best practices for a healthy life.
I am only on the forum and a rapamycin forum.
But it makes me think about the constant quest for health info.
But I have changed my approach to health over time, for the better I think.
A quandary to ponder ......

peter88

I rationalize it that I am on a forum trying to learn more about the best practices for a healthy life.
The less I spend on this forum the better my health gets and I become less neurotic.

Overton

This was a great listen.

Big insight for me is that addictive behaviors are not as much about craving the "good" part of the behavior, but rather it creates a new pain when at baseline (not doing the behavior) that's only alleviated by doing the behavior.

Messing up your baseline state like that sounds similar to a learned helplessness concept. Abstain!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom