Colleagues treating me like im an idiot

chris

Combie said:
chris said:
Combie said:
chris said:
Combie - What part of the UK are you from? Our doctors are terrible, especially when it comes to things thyroid related, I've found.
I live in South Yorkshire, originally from Surrey

Wow, I live in Yorkshire too. Small world.
Anywhere nice? I live in The People's Republic of Doncaster.

Ha, someone I live with is from Donny and hates it. I'm from Leeds.

Combie

I love Leeds. My dad and 2 brothers live there. Hopefully will be at uni there next year. Either there or Sheffield. Doncaster is a foul pit of scum and villainy

chris

Yeah Leeds is a great place to live, I'm in my 2nd year at uni atm. Which uni you thinking of applying to?

Combie

chris said:
Yeah Leeds is a great place to live, I'm in my 2nd year at uni atm. Which uni you thinking of applying to?
University of Leeds - Bsc Biomedical Science. They do it at sheff too, which would be easier/cheaper travel wise. Just got to get my Chemistry AS and I've the basic prerequisites for a mature student. Sit that in June. Don't think background and knowledge is gonna be a problem at interview. Just the small matter of funding then...

montmorency

chris said:
Combie said:
chris said:
Combie - What part of the UK are you from? Our doctors are terrible, especially when it comes to things thyroid related, I've found.

You can always tell a Yorkshireman.....but you can't tell him much! :):

Just kidding. My wife was born in Sheffield, and some of the nicest people I know are from Yorkshire (but my family is from what was originally Lancashire.....unkindly annexed by Cumbria in the 1970s).

chris

montmorency said:
chris said:
Combie said:
chris said:

You can always tell a Yorkshireman.....but you can't tell him much! :):

Just kidding. My wife was born in Sheffield, and some of the nicest people I know are from Yorkshire (but my family is from what was originally Lancashire.....unkindly annexed by Cumbria in the 1970s).

Ha cheeky, the only person I've ever met from Sheffield didn't get on with me. Where you living now?

Regarding people dismissing how we want to eat, Kanye West said it best,

And if they hate then let 'em hate
And watch the money pile up

Rolan

Nevermind colleagues who treat you like an idiot, it's the family members whom concern me. I'm particularly individualistic among my family, and often way more open minded than they are. They'll literally do anything to diminish my opinions, and won't even engage in any sort of talk they deem contentious. I don't claim to have THE answer, but I dunno, guess people will do anything to retain their own personal status quo.

Food is a particular zone of contention with them and I, and whether I was eating Paleo or what I'm doing now, I'm always accused of being a weird eater. If I were eating a piece of toast with jam on it, then nothing would be questioned. But apparently eating white potatoe, salt and butter is an 'odd' thing. To my Mother, the mere concept of cooking is eccentric. My own sister freaked out the other day because I was walking around town with her glugging down a bottle of milk. She was worried that society would deem me some sort of oddity, or a tramp. Something unrefined and dangerous. It's fu**ing milk woman! :lol:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
But milk is for baby cows, duh!! :roll:

I feel your pain. :cry:

montmorency

chris said:
Ha cheeky, the only person I've ever met from Sheffield didn't get on with me. Where you living now?

Oxfordshire. Born and brought up in the south by two parents from the north, so a foot in both camps. :) My son went to Sheffield uni for 1st degree, then did 2nd degree at UMIST (before it became part of Manchester uni). He liked living in the north, but is back in Oxfordshire now.

montmorency

Rolan said:
Nevermind colleagues who treat you like an idiot, it's the family members whom concern me. I'm particularly individualistic among my family, and often way more open minded than they are. They'll literally do anything to diminish my opinions, and won't even engage in any sort of talk they deem contentious. I don't claim to have THE answer, but I dunno, guess people will do anything to retain their own personal status quo.

Food is a particular zone of contention with them and I, and whether I was eating Paleo or what I'm doing now, I'm always accused of being a weird eater. If I were eating a piece of toast with jam on it, then nothing would be questioned. But apparently eating white potatoe, salt and butter is an 'odd' thing. To my Mother, the mere concept of cooking is eccentric. My own sister freaked out the other day because I was walking around town with her glugging down a bottle of milk. She was worried that society would deem me some sort of oddity, or a tramp. Something unrefined and dangerous. It's fu**ing milk woman! :lol:

The curious thing is that it's not all that long (at least from my perspective) since we (in the UK) were being told to "drinka pinta milka day" in constant advertising. There used to be refrigerated milk machines all over the place; very distinctive looking. 1960s? 1970s? Not sure exactly.

Rolan

montmorency said:
The curious thing is that it's not all that long (at least from my perspective) since we (in the UK) were being told to "drinka pinta milka day" in constant advertising. There used to be refrigerated milk machines all over the place; very distinctive looking. 1960s? 1970s? Not sure exactly.

True, but generally people will just go with what mainstreams media is telling them. There is still quite a push for people to drink milk, but just crappy milk. The 'Got Milk' campaign is especially prevalent. They are right about Milk being a great food, but the problem is people don't know how to differentiate between quality, so Milk suddenly get's a bad rep, whether it's the crappy stuff or the natural stuff. Any mainstream media drive to consume more of something is always agenda directed and usually profit driven. My family use to worry that I was eating too many eggs, and that I should only eat 1 per week because of cholesterol. Turns out I was eating too many eggs(6-9 a day), but for different reasons. Rest assured they only thought this because they read it in the Daily Mail :lol:

Hugh Johnson

Combie said:
Thanks Charlie.

She actually texted me last night saying her hands are so cold she cant feel three of her fingers, did i have any advice?. Will NOT have it that theres anything wrong with her thyroid, because "the doctor did tests and he said it was OK"

Aaaaaaaaaarrrghhhh!!!!! *Bangs head off wall several times*

I'm going to make a really weird post, which may be complete poppycock. Do tell me if I am being stupid.

Thing is people tell stories by which they see the world. They simplify the world to a radical degree, which is necessary for functioning. However, people need to hold on to these representations because if those oversimplifications of the world are torn apart, their whole world collapses. If she accepts that doctors are full of it, then she will have to consider other authorities are also wrong and do not have her best interest in heart.

If that happens she will no longer know what is true or false or right or wrong. This insecurity is hell. People will kill and die to avoid such a situation. Even the most minor things, like homosexuality can cause some people to resort to violence. You disagreeing with the doctors attacks the very core of her belief structure. It is almost an existential threat. Basically when the brain does not know what it is doing it causes pain, because the brain needs to know what is going on.

However, the fact that she keeps asking you indicates that she knows something is wrong. However, the stresses of hypothyroidism, media, education, etc. are already weakening her. You are asking her to discard the totalitarian belief structure that keeps her and the world together. Weak people need order.

So you have two choices if you want to help her. Either find a way to help her thyroid without contradicting the authorities. Or you can try to smash her worldview with enough research about thyroid that she can not rationalize it away. If she's lucky she might rationalize it all away. If not, she would have to reconstruct her stories in a new way or adopt another totalitarian belief system to provide order in her life.

I'm basing this on the views of Jordan Peterson who's a pretty cool guy, faults and all:

[link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urz1mcycO88[/link]

I have too much time on my hands.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals