Claritin For Lyme Disease

haidut

Forum Supporter
messtafarian said:

This is indeed awesome! If it is the antihistamine activity that is responsible for starving the bacteria, then I bet drugs like cyproheptadine would be even better since bacteria thrive on tryptophan/serotonin and one of the purposes of fever is to lower tryptophan and iron in plasma.
There are studies with cyproheptadine on CFS (which is likely a chronic infection of some sorts) the results were very positive.
Also, loratidine and the newer anti-allergy drugs contain chlorine and are toxic to the liver. Older antihistamines like ketotifen and cyproheptadine are safer. So, at least two reasons to use cyproheptadine for Lyme.
Thanks for sharing this!

OP
M

messtafarian

Hey Haidut -- the reason loratidine was tested against Lyme is because they found that Lyme bacteria use manganese and not iron for respiration. Most bacteria use iron and that is part of the reason I think Peat finds iron suspect.

I am not sure how other antihistamines use trace minerals or actually really even what they use them for. However it was that connection that made them effective, not necessarily their specific action on histamine. If there were another one that worked the same way then I imagine it would just as well or better :).

haidut

Forum Supporter

If you read the study it shows that the Lyme pathogens depends on manganese for proper functioning and survival (just like humans). Loratidine works by preventing manganese entrance into the pathogen and is basically creates a lethal manganese deficiency, possibly for BOTH pathogen and host. Not something you want for the host obviously :)
I think using more fat-soluble formulations of doxycycline can kill the pathogen in much lower doses and in shorter time. For example, dissolving doxycicline in something like MitoLipin can probably make for a very effective carrier and thus drastically reduce the effective dose and duration for antibiotic Lyme therapy.
The same may be possible for loratidine and thus much lower doses can be used. I have not tested this, so it's just speculation at this point.

TubZy

If you read the study it shows that the Lyme pathogens depends on manganese for proper functioning and survival (just like humans). Loratidine works by preventing manganese entrance into the pathogen and is basically creates a lethal manganese deficiency, possibly for BOTH pathogen and host. Not something you want for the host obviously :)
I think using more fat-soluble formulations of doxycycline can kill the pathogen in much lower doses and in shorter time. For example, dissolving doxycicline in something like MitoLipin can probably make for a very effective carrier and thus drastically reduce the effective dose and duration for antibiotic Lyme therapy.
The same may be possible for loratidine and thus much lower doses can be used. I have not tested this, so it's just speculation at this point.

Interesting....what about loratidine in dmso or that still couldn't get concentrations high enough? I understand the fat soluble formation could make it stay active in the tissue longer so maybe dmso wouldn't be a good idea.

Do you still think cypro can help although I don't think it has the manganese blocking properties. I know you mentioned the lowering of serotonin, any other mechanism you think? Getting histamine down makes the immune system work better too right due to the stabilization of mast cells?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Interesting....what about loratidine in dmso or that still couldn't get concentrations high enough? I understand the fat soluble formation could make it stay active in the tissue longer so maybe dmso wouldn't be a good idea.

Do you still think cypro can help although I don't think it has the manganese blocking properties. I know you mentioned the lowering of serotonin, any other mechanism you think? Getting histamine down makes the immune system work better too right due to the stabilization of mast cells?

Yes, DMSO can also help increase bioavailability but I would not use loratidine if possible as it is liver-toxic. Cypro also has possibility for liver toxicities but they are much more rare. Ketotifen would probably be the safest from the cypro-family type of drugs. Given the effectiveness of methylene blue against virtually all pathogens, I think another interesting approach would be "photodynamic therapy" with methylene blue and bright light exposure. It may need a few days of higher MB doses in the 15mg - 20mg range but those should still be OK as it is a common dose for mood disorders and it has shown pretty good safety profile in the human studies.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals