Did Pentagon turn ticks into bioweapons that spread Lyme Disease? House just approved a study.

Zpol

Did Pentagon turn ticks into bioweapons that spread Lyme Disease? House just approved a study.

"Was the federal government itself responsible for spreading Lyme disease?

While questions are being raised about China letting COVID-19 escape from a research laboratory, the U.S. House wants to know if something similar happened in this country during the height of the Cold War beginning in the 1950s.

The defense policy bill approved Thursday requires the Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress, to look at whether the Pentagon looked at using ticks and other infects infected with Lyme disease as bioweapons, and whether they were “released outside of any laboratory by accident or experiment design.”

“The millions of Americans suffering from Lyme disease have a right to know whether any of this is true, and if any old research documents could be applied by current-day scientists to finding a better diagnostic or treatment—something that’s desperately needed,” said U.S. Rep. Chris Smith of New Jersey, founding co-chair of the House Lyme Disease Caucus.

Under the amendment, the GAO would be required to investigate and report to Congress about any Pentagon experiments into using ticks or other insects as biological weapons from 1950 to 1977.

The provision was added to the National Defense Authorization Act by Smith, R-4th Dist. He won House approval of a similar measure in 2019 directing the Pentagon’s inspector general to look at the issue, but his amendment never made into the final bill after the IG said the office was too busy to look at the issue.

Smith tried again last year when the House voted to have the GAO study the issue, but that too, never made into the final legislation.

The lawmaker said there are credible claims that the Pentagon did conduct such research, and he wanted to know whether they were true.

“To stop the spread of these horrific tick-borne diseases, we must first understand their origins and how they came to be so pervasive,” Smith said. “If the investigation concludes our government’s bioweapons program did not contribute to the proliferation of Lyme, we turn the page. And if it did, hopefully this investigation and research will contribute to a cure.”

An estimated 300,000 new cases of Lyme disease are diagnosed annually, according to a December 2020 report from the Department of Health and Human Services’ Tick-Borne Disease Working Group."

The reason this is particularly horrible (beyond the obvious), is for two reasons...

1) This can be a very prohibitive factor in people trying to live off the grid. Or even off health insurance because you basically need immediate access to antibiotics if you get bit.

2) A few months ago I heard a professor from NYU talking about how great it would be for the environment if people had meat allergies (alpha gal) and therefore forced to eat more sustainable vegetarian based diets (in his opinion). He hinted that progress was already under way in determining which genes would have to be modified based off research on Lone Star ticks which cause this allergy.

Coincidentally, it has been a particularly bad year for ticks in Wisconsin where I live.
I realize the supposed leak could have happened in the 1950s-70s, but it has been noted that certain tick species that have been relatively southern based have been slowly spreading north (that includes the Lone Star tick).

Furthermore, this would be great opportunity for another lovely mRNA vaccine to prevent tickborne disease...

Now proven against coronavirus, mRNA can do so much more

"Tickborne diseases
The mRNA approach might also work against some tickborne diseases, Weissman said.

"The idea there is if you are immune to tick saliva proteins, when the tick bites you, the body produces inflammation and the tick falls off," Weissman said.
Lyme disease is caused by the bacteria Borrelia burgdorferi, and the tick generally has to stay attached 36 to 48 hours before it transmits the bacteria to the host. If the tick falls off before that, it cannot transmit the infection."

Lollipop2

"Was the federal government itself responsible for spreading Lyme disease?

While questions are being raised about China letting COVID-19 escape from a research laboratory, the U.S. House wants to know if something similar happened in this country during the height of the Cold War beginning in the 1950s.

The defense policy bill approved Thursday requires the Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress, to look at whether the Pentagon looked at using ticks and other infects infected with Lyme disease as bioweapons, and whether they were “released outside of any laboratory by accident or experiment design.”

“The millions of Americans suffering from Lyme disease have a right to know whether any of this is true, and if any old research documents could be applied by current-day scientists to finding a better diagnostic or treatment—something that’s desperately needed,” said U.S. Rep. Chris Smith of New Jersey, founding co-chair of the House Lyme Disease Caucus.

Under the amendment, the GAO would be required to investigate and report to Congress about any Pentagon experiments into using ticks or other insects as biological weapons from 1950 to 1977.

The provision was added to the National Defense Authorization Act by Smith, R-4th Dist. He won House approval of a similar measure in 2019 directing the Pentagon’s inspector general to look at the issue, but his amendment never made into the final bill after the IG said the office was too busy to look at the issue.

Smith tried again last year when the House voted to have the GAO study the issue, but that too, never made into the final legislation.

The lawmaker said there are credible claims that the Pentagon did conduct such research, and he wanted to know whether they were true.

“To stop the spread of these horrific tick-borne diseases, we must first understand their origins and how they came to be so pervasive,” Smith said. “If the investigation concludes our government’s bioweapons program did not contribute to the proliferation of Lyme, we turn the page. And if it did, hopefully this investigation and research will contribute to a cure.”

An estimated 300,000 new cases of Lyme disease are diagnosed annually, according to a December 2020 report from the Department of Health and Human Services’ Tick-Borne Disease Working Group."

The reason this is particularly horrible (beyond the obvious), is for two reasons...

1) This can be a very prohibitive factor in people trying to live off the grid. Or even off health insurance because you basically need immediate access to antibiotics if you get bit.

2) A few months ago I heard a professor from NYU talking about how great it would be for the environment if people had meat allergies (alpha gal) and therefore forced to eat more sustainable vegetarian based diets (in his opinion). He hinted that progress was already under way in determining which genes would have to be modified based off research on Lone Star ticks which cause this allergy.

Coincidentally, it has been a particularly bad year for ticks in Wisconsin where I live.
I realize the supposed leak could have happened in the 1950s-70s, but it has been noted that certain tick species that have been relatively southern based have been slowly spreading north (that includes the Lone Star tick).

Furthermore, this would be great opportunity for another lovely mRNA vaccine to prevent tickborne disease...

Now proven against coronavirus, mRNA can do so much more

"Tickborne diseases
The mRNA approach might also work against some tickborne diseases, Weissman said.

"The idea there is if you are immune to tick saliva proteins, when the tick bites you, the body produces inflammation and the tick falls off," Weissman said.
Lyme disease is caused by the bacteria Borrelia burgdorferi, and the tick generally has to stay attached 36 to 48 hours before it transmits the bacteria to the host. If the tick falls off before that, it cannot transmit the infection."
Interesting. Let’s see what comes out of it.

Peater Piper

Yeah, I'm not expecting much. At least not in mainstream news but I will keep monitoring and digging.
:thumbup: Lyme wrecked my health more than anything else has in my adult life. Borrelia are nasty little things, as are ticks. They diseases they cause still don't get enough recognition, imo.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

First-Ever mRNA Vaccine for Lyme Disease Shows Promise in Guinea Pigs

My OP might just be indicative of a set-up for more vaccines. Specifically, an mRNA vaccine that causes your body to have an immediate immune response to tick saliva which would alert the person to notice and remove the tick...
"The snippets of mRNA in the vaccine code for 19 different proteins found in ticks' saliva, which will trigger the body to produce those proteins and elicit an immune reaction. By training the immune system to respond to the saliva instead of the bacteria itself, it shrinks the time that ticks spend feeding on a host; consequently, that will reduce the likelihood that the tick transmits B. burgdorferi since it takes at least 36 hours to do so, reports Live Science."

I had to laugh when I read this part...
""The mRNA vaccine saved us from COVID for sure," Jorge Benach, a microbiologist at Stony Brook University who co-discovered B. burgdorferi, tells Meredith Wadman for Science. "

Yeah, because those COVID vaccines worked out so well... WTF

haidut

Forum Supporter
First-Ever mRNA Vaccine for Lyme Disease Shows Promise in Guinea Pigs

My OP might just be indicative of a set-up for more vaccines. Specifically, an mRNA vaccine that causes your body to have an immediate immune response to tick saliva which would alert the person to notice and remove the tick...
"The snippets of mRNA in the vaccine code for 19 different proteins found in ticks' saliva, which will trigger the body to produce those proteins and elicit an immune reaction. By training the immune system to respond to the saliva instead of the bacteria itself, it shrinks the time that ticks spend feeding on a host; consequently, that will reduce the likelihood that the tick transmits B. burgdorferi since it takes at least 36 hours to do so, reports Live Science."

I had to laugh when I read this part...
""The mRNA vaccine saved us from COVID for sure," Jorge Benach, a microbiologist at Stony Brook University who co-discovered B. burgdorferi, tells Meredith Wadman for Science. "

Yeah, because those COVID vaccines worked out so well... WTF

@Drareg just yesterday posted about Gates' new patents on using bee venom to sterilize males. Considering Gates' work with mosquitoes, and him releasing 750 million GMO mosquitoes in Florida, I would say it is safe to assume we have been targeted with bioweapons for some time now. I suspect Gates will (actually, has already) modify some insect capable of biting/stinging humans in a way that allows that insect to produce mRNA for whatever target/disease Gates wants and those "Franken-flies" will be released on the general population to deliver that mRNA. It seems rather apt now, with the vaccine mandates. "Don't want to get vaccinated? OK, fine. Our mosquitoes, bees, flies, ticks, etc will eventually get to you and vaccinate you against your will and without you even knowing."

OP
Zpol

Zpol

@Drareg just yesterday posted about Gates' new patents on using bee venom to sterilize males. Considering Gates' work with mosquitoes, and him releasing 750 million GMO mosquitoes in Florida, I would say it is safe to assume we have been targeted with bioweapons for some time now. I suspect Gates will (actually, has already) modify some insect capable of biting/stinging humans in a way that allows that insect to produce mRNA for whatever target/disease Gates wants and those "Franken-flies" will be released on the general population to deliver that mRNA. It seems rather apt now, with the vaccine mandates. "Don't want to get vaccinated? OK, fine. Our mosquitoes, bees, flies, ticks, etc will eventually get to you and vaccinate you against your will and without you even knowing."
Agreed; this is a real problem.

Gates said "we need a new way of doing the vaccines." I guess this will be one of those ways.

Perry Staltic

Isn't lyme disease just a convenient catch-all bucket for maladies that they don't understand and aren't caused by bacteria?

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Isn't lyme disease just a convenient catch-all bucket for maladies that they don't understand and aren't caused by bacteria?
I do believe the Lyme diagnosis has been used in that way, also I know it has been given as a misdiagnosis. But Borrelia (Lyme) and tick borne encephalitis are very real and severe diseases.

Perry Staltic

I do believe the Lyme diagnosis has been used in that way, also I know it has been given as a misdiagnosis. But Borrelia (Lyme) and tick borne encephalitis are very real and severe diseases.

So is candidiasis. And everyone is infected with the fungus that causes it..

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Good analogy.
As with candidiasis, I would think a healthy immune system would be necessary to prevent a systemic infection. In fact, there are people who's immune systems are so naturally primed against ticks that they just fall off within hours and the person never develops systemic infection.

But with GMO'd ticks, all bets are off.

K

Kayaker

In fact, there are people who's immune systems are so naturally primed against ticks that they just fall off within hours and the person never develops systemic infection.
Proof? I only saw that people develop natural immunity for over 6 years to specific strains of lyme bacteria.

Perry Staltic

Good analogy.
As with candidiasis, I would think a healthy immune system would be necessary to prevent a systemic infection. In fact, there are people who's immune systems are so naturally primed against ticks that they just fall off within hours and the person never develops systemic infection.

But with GMO'd ticks, all bets are off.

I got bit once and didn't know it because it was right in the center of my lower back and I was busy getting some work done. When I found it there was the characteristic bullseye around it. I removed it and forgot about it. No problems. Now I suspect I have immunity.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Proof? I only saw that people develop natural immunity for over 6 years to specific strains of lyme bacteria.
I don't have proof, just anecdotal stories at time. I see your point about immunity occurring but only to specific strains (as we know, ticks carry many types of bacteria, you never know what you might get bit with). The interesting thing though is that there's a different type of immunity that seems possible; it's to the ticks' saliva or as stated in the below article "an acquired immunity to the bite itself". It's with this theory in mind that the vaccines are being created.

That statement is from the article 'How one local man's immunity to ticks could save us all'...

"During the Poughkeepsie Journal's forum on Lyme disease last month, Ostfeld told the overflow audience at Marist College that he has been bitten so frequently by ticks over the years, he has developed an acquired immunity to the bite itself.

"I develop a burning, itching feeling that wakes me up in the middle of the night, even if it is just a tiny, little larva," he said.

Most of the time, the offending tick is dead. If not, its minutes are numbered.

All of this happens just as the tick is beginning to feed, he said.

Ostfeld ends up with a welt lasting for days. But the ticks never get much of a chance to pass along any disease.

Ostfeld said there are studies suggesting the same thing happens in animals. Some critters develop an immune response that attacks certain proteins in the ticks' saliva.

"And the feeding success by the ticks goes plummeting," he said. "It goes down at different rates depending on the host, and depending on how many times the host has been exposed.""

I personally do not think a vaccine could effectively replicate this phenomena, certainly not in a safe or ethical way.

I got bit once and didn't know it because it was right in the center of my lower back and I was busy getting some work done. When I found it there was the characteristic bullseye around it. I removed it and forgot about it. No problems. Now I suspect I have immunity.
Makes sense; you had the rash, and your body successfully beat it, I would agree you likely have some natural immunity now.

In my case, I got bit, pulled it out (very gently), thought nothing of it, but then developed a burning rash at the site of the bite a week later. I ended up doing 10 days of doxycycline as prophylaxis. No idea if I got enough of a 'taste' of it to create any sort of immunity.

Drareg

It’s plausible, mosquitos are prevalent in heavily populated areas with the right climate, they thrive around humans, this explains his interest in them.

Peater Piper

All I can tell you is I've had only a couple of illnesses in the past two decades, so I'm assuming my immune system is just fine. One was from a tick bite that hit me like a truck and left me a mess for months. Not everyone is going to get the same dose of bacteria from each tick. Not everyone is going to get the same cocktail from each tick. I felt like I had malaria days before the rash even appeared, and I suspect I was infected with both borrelia and babesia (a parasite similar to what causes malaria). I don't know what could have caused the illness besides bacteria or a parasite, it sure would be a coincidence to get bitten by a ticket, develop the erythema migrans, and experience a severe illness all as a coincidence within days of each other.