Advice From Ray About Lyme Disease

messtafarian

I wrote to Dr. Peat and asked him what he suggested for Lyme disease. I also told him about the high viral titers and asked him what he thought I should do.

You know Ray is very careful not to tell people what to do -- when I share things he's said I don't want to ever give some governing body an excuse to accuse him of "practicing medicine." So this was his full answer:

The tetracyclines (including minocycline, which is effective in the nervous system) are protective against the effects of virus, as well as bacteria, because of their ability to reduce inflammation. The US drug industry and FDA have cooperated in spreading the idea that tetracycline was no longer available, so that the price of tablets could be increased from four cents to four dollars each. Many of the internet sources have recognized the situation and increased prices, but some is still available at moderate cost.

haidut

Forum Supporter
messtafarian said:
post 112147 I wrote to Dr. Peat and asked him what he suggested for Lyme disease. I also told him about the high viral titers and asked him what he thought I should do.

You know Ray is very careful not to tell people what to do -- when I share things he's said I don't want to ever give some governing body an excuse to accuse him of "practicing medicine." So this was his full answer:

The tetracyclines (including minocycline, which is effective in the nervous system) are protective against the effects of virus, as well as bacteria, because of their ability to reduce inflammation. The US drug industry and FDA have cooperated in spreading the idea that tetracycline was no longer available, so that the price of tablets could be increased from four cents to four dollars each. Many of the internet sources have recognized the situation and increased prices, but some is still available at moderate cost.

My memory on this is a bit hazy but I think back in the 1980s a combination of 100mg doxycycline and 100mg minocycline was found to be 100% effective in curing Lyme in 2 weeks. The reason for doing the combo as opposed to just doxycycline was just as Ray said in his response to you - minocycline primarily targets the nervous system.
The chemical beta-lapachone, which is very similar to the tetracyclines and vitamin K2 has been studies for Lyme in Brazil back in the 1960 and I think the results were shockingly positive even though they did not have the proper technology to diagnose Lyme back then. So, they may have been studying a different condition but it was definitely bacterial in origin.

And of course, you always have the option of claritin or cyproheptadine.
viewtopic.php?f=278&t=5881

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

messtafarian

haidut said:
messtafarian said:
post 112147 I wrote to Dr. Peat and asked him what he suggested for Lyme disease. I also told him about the high viral titers and asked him what he thought I should do.

My memory on this is a bit hazy but I think back in the 1980s a combination of 100mg doxycycline and 100mg minocycline was found to be 100% effective in curing Lyme in 2 weeks. The reason for doing the combo as opposed to just doxycycline was just as Ray said in his response to you - minocycline primarily targets the nervous system.
The chemical beta-lapachone, which is very similar to the tetracyclines and vitamin K2 has been studies for Lyme in Brazil back in the 1960 and I think the results were shockingly positive even though they did not have the proper technology to diagnose Lyme back then. So, they may have been studying a different condition but it was definitely bacterial in origin.

And of course, you always have the option of claritin or cyproheptadine.
viewtopic.php?f=278&t=5881

I think Ray also mentioned it because it is *extremely* penetrative in tissues -- certainly as adequate in that regard as the fluoroquinolones, the difference being that mino does not mimic eukaryotic chemotherapy while it eradicates infections. It's also very safe -- people take it for years simply for acne.

Claritin is very promising but doses have to be high to be effective -- 200mgs as opposed to the more commonplace 10.

Peata

I took minocycline for years for acne when I was in late teens/early 20s. I had side effects from it but nothing that at the time seemed "dangerous".

Do I recall correctly that you did well on cyproheptadine?

OP
M

messtafarian

I am *still* doing well on cyproheptadine. I take 8mgs a day. I am not sure if it is affecting my Lyme -- I'm taking it as therapy for the adrenal adenoma, which was found by accident, which no doctor so far has taken the slightest interest in. I've been pondering lately if I should stop taking it so any testing they do can pick up any activity on the tests they are going to do some more of.

Increasingly disgusted with the US medical system. Cheepers. :)

D

Derek

haidut said:
post 112155 My memory on this is a bit hazy but I think back in the 1980s a combination of 100mg doxycycline and 100mg minocycline was found to be 100% effective in curing Lyme in 2 weeks.

I believe this is only effective for early stage Lyme. Chronic, late-stage Lyme is often not eradicated by just tetracyclines alone. Usually combinations of different classes of antibiotics need to be used, rotated and pulsed (because of toxicity) for a longer period of time.

OP
M

messtafarian

Derek said:
post 112225
haidut said:
post 112155 My memory on this is a bit hazy but I think back in the 1980s a combination of 100mg doxycycline and 100mg minocycline was found to be 100% effective in curing Lyme in 2 weeks.

I believe this is only effective for early stage Lyme. Chronic, late-stage Lyme is often not eradicated by just tetracyclines alone. Usually combinations of different classes of antibiotics need to be used, rotated and pulsed (because of toxicity) for a longer period of time.

I don' think Peat has suggested that Lyme can be eradicated. It's like any other bacteria -- strep, staph, etc -- we're all walking around with this stuff in us but it's being held in check by the immune system. When Lyme gets out of control and makes you sick, becomes chronic -- it's not that there's been a failure of the drugs to eradicate the Lyme -- the immune system is just unable for many reasons to manage it. This is mostly due to the fact that Lyme *directly infects* the immune system, sometimes to the point that it will not recover.

For that reason I don't know if all that pulsing and switching is doing anything but managing toxicity. I think the idea that you have to keep "surprising" the Lyme with new killing agents is less compelling to me.

D

Derek

messtafarian said:
post 112244
Derek said:
post 112225
haidut said:

I don' think Peat has suggested that Lyme can be eradicated. It's like any other bacteria -- strep, staph, etc -- we're all walking around with this stuff in us but it's being held in check by the immune system. When Lyme gets out of control and makes you sick, becomes chronic -- it's not that there's been a failure of the drugs to eradicate the Lyme -- the immune system is just unable for many reasons to manage it. This is mostly due to the fact that Lyme *directly infects* the immune system, sometimes to the point that it will not recover.

For that reason I don't know if all that pulsing and switching is doing anything but managing toxicity. I think the idea that you have to keep "surprising" the Lyme with new killing agents is less compelling to me.

You could be right.

TubZy

Check out the study haidut posted on niacinimide. At high doses, it is very anti bacterial.

Lapachone/emodin was effective? Do you have a link to the studies from 1960s?

whit

Check out the study haidut posted on niacinimide. At high doses, it is very anti bacterial.

Lapachone/emodin was effective? Do you have a link to the studies from 1960s?

:+1 anyone?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals