Carrot Substitute?

loess

NooMoahk said:
I have had decent results digesting dates once I peel them as well, but it isn't consistent. I will try soaking them, thanks for that tip!
You bet, actually your post in my date thread a little while back reminded me about peeling them which I had never intentionally done before, so thank you for that! Lately in addition to soaking and peeling I have been putting them in the blender with OJ and then straining the mixture. I have noticed that I get less gas and bloating than eating them whole (soaked and peeled).

NooMoahk

jyb said:
NooMoahk said:
The fiber choices are limited because, if you agree with Peat's and other similar philosophies, fiber is generally not a good thing. In general, you don't want to ingest things that are indigestible. Fiber could even be the cause of irregularity by stretching the colon and creating a fiber dependency which ultimately creates excess endotoxin. Check out the website of Konstantin Monastyrsky for some more information. I highly suggest the glycerin enema recommendation to get your bowels moving as opposed to ingesting more bulk(fiber). I have had years of experience with this problem and my lower intestine is still somewhat stretched and fairly sensitive after 10 months of Peat rehab. Keep in mind I'm only 20 years old.

Never heard of glycerin enema. Note that you could also try some cascara to get it moving, because it has a sound theoretical ground (see RP article about how it works) and it doesn't seem to induce a dependency from testimonials. This wouldn't be the same as fibre given the small amount that you need (a fraction of a teaspoon) to get bowels moving very regularly. I went down that route because I noticed that on a day I was not doing well, that my bowels were not moving much that day despite the daily carrot salad.

I would bet cascara is a much better alternative to fiber but I like to avoid any laxatives, because as far as I understand it, they all stimulate the nervous system for an unpredictable amount of time. With glycerin(not ingested), the effect is instant and seems to completely wear off in minutes or a few hours for me. I'm talking a very small amount of pure glycerin in a syringe/similar device, perhaps 10ml. It's extremely predictable.

OP
denise

denise

Well, I've solved my carrot problem by solving my ranch dressing problem! I made my own mayo using MCT oil and then made a ranch dressing with that by adding some sour cream, buttermilk, vinegar and herbs. It's super tasty (far better than the bottled stuff), and I can easily eat carrots as long as I use plenty of it. I highly recommend it to anyone else as averse to carrots as I am. I also get the benefit of the MCT oil and vinegar in the dressing. And so far no digestive upset from the oil.

marcar72

marcar72 said:
Dates and whole grain wheat cereal, seriously. I've added both back into my diet since I NEED fiber for optimal bowel health. I might cut the wheat again if I can concretely confirm if I have any sort of gluten sensitivity.

I've cut the wheat and any/all gluten out of my diet again as I'm almost certain I've developed some gluten intolerance. I think I was in denial when I reintroduced it back into my diet back on October 6. Oddly enough it soothed my gut but that was probably just the fiber in general. I think I was having some SIBO at the time and I feel the fiber helped corral up the bacteria and move it back into the large intestine. My symptoms are mostly neurological and behavioral in nature. (insomnia, mood swings, slight numbness and balance issues, foggy brain, who knows what else) I probably wouldn't have caught on if not for the gaps of time I was grain free while Peating. What a concept, I'm still not sure what to think of it all... :shock:

jyb

marcar72 said:
I feel the fiber helped corral up the bacteria and move it back into the large intestine. My symptoms are mostly neurological and behavioral in nature. (insomnia, mood swings, slight numbness and balance issues, foggy brain, who knows what else)

Pretty interesting. Similar symptoms to mine, and I also benefited from increasing fibre (more carrot, and added cascara).

fyo

I've been thinking about cotton (cotton balls?) as a fiber source. Cotton is 95-99% cellulose. Cellulose being the type of fiber which, as I understand, would speed transit time without fermentation.
http://cotton.missouri.edu/Classroom-Ch ... ition.html

When I googled 'eating cotton' there were some funny news articles about girls dieting with cotton balls dipped in OJ.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
fyo said:
I've been thinking about cotton (cotton balls?) as a fiber source. Cotton is 95-99% cellulose. Cellulose being the type of fiber which, as I understand, would speed transit time without fermentation.

When I googled 'eating cotton' there were some funny news articles about girls dieting with cotton balls dipped in OJ.
Now that's a first! :shock: :lol:

jyb

If you had some bacterial overgrowth in the gut, bacteria in the upper area where there shouldn't be as RP has written, what would you do:

- Easily digestible diet, with daily carrot, nothing too specific assuming it will clear up that issue as hypothyroid symptoms improve

- Increase carrot intake. Maybe take some cascara too, especially if hypothyroid symptoms seem correlated with constipation.

- Small dose of antibiotics. On the Wikipedia page on SIBO, there's a paragraph on a connection with Rosacea and suggested treatments. From that discussion it seems important to get the type antibiotic right, depending on what type of bacteria is causing problem.

- Kefir, probiotics powder

paymanz

it is interesting, i might try it, of course with a lot of caution!
Effects of cottonseed dietary fiber on metabolic parameters in diabetic rats and non-insulin-dependent diabetic humans. - PubMed - NCBI