Ray Peat Carrot Salad

Barry Obummer

I am in no position to argue that beta-carotene isn't an issue, but does rinsing the "shreds" really get that much of it off? And I suppose you are going to chew and swallow it, so it ends up the same going down anyway (I guess I am a good chewer?)

How important is it to eat the carrot salad between meals? Since I am trying to eat somewhat large and frequent meals to increase calories, it it kind of incongruent with that goal. Plus, I already eat a good amount of coconut oil a day. Sorry to be a pain in the behind, but a peeled raw carrot on the go actually sounds appetizing to me. Just wondering if I can get the benefit from just bugs bunny style. I have a BM like 2x a day, so no problem there, really. This would mostly be for the serotonin/estrogen lowering effect.

Last edited:

tara

I am in no position to argue that beta-carotene isn't an issue, but does rinsing the "shreds" really get that much of it off?
Based on the bright orange colour of the water after rinsing grated carrot, I assume I am removing some, but not all.

And I suppose you are going to chew and not swallow it, so it ends up the same going down anyway (I guess I am a good chewer?)
Chew as much as you need to to swallow the fibre comfortably - probably no need to chew more than that.

How important is it to eat the carrot salad between meals? Since I am trying to eat somewhat large and frequent meals to increase calories, it it kind of incongruent with that goal. Plus, I already eat a good amount of coconut oil a day. Sorry to be a pain in the behind, but a peeled raw carrot on the go actually sounds appetizing to me. Just wondering if I can get the benefit from just bugs bunny style. I have a BM like 2x a day, so no problem there, really. This would mostly be for the serotonin/estrogen lowering effect.
If eating a whole raw carrot works better for you, go for it. It is only a problem for those of us who struggle with the extra carotene - if this is not you, don't worry about it. I get averse to raw carrots in a couple of days if I don't do the grate and rinse thing, but that doesn't mean everyone has to do it. There may be additional benefits to the added vinegar and coconut oil, but the carrot itself is the main point.

You'd likely get more benefit from raw carrot between meals, but I think it's more important to eat it at all than to get the timing perfect.

Barry Obummer

Based on the bright orange colour of the water after rinsing grated carrot, I assume I am removing some, but not all.

Chew as much as you need to to swallow the fibre comfortably - probably no need to chew more than that.

If eating a whole raw carrot works better for you, go for it. It is only a problem for those of us who struggle with the extra carotene - if this is not you, don't worry about it. I get averse to raw carrots in a couple of days if I don't do the grate and rinse thing, but that doesn't mean everyone has to do it. There may be additional benefits to the added vinegar and coconut oil, but the carrot itself is the main point.

You'd likely get more benefit from raw carrot between meals, but I think it's more important to eat it at all than to get the timing perfect.
OK, thanks. I was hoping it would help reduce bloating and increase my appetite or "lust" for food. I don't really have a passion to eat, ever, and just have horrible nausea and GERD all the time. Eating is just like, part of a regimen. I read that serotonin decreases appetite.

tara

I read that serotonin decreases appetite.
I don't know about that, but wouldn't surprise me. Cyproheptadine, which is supposed to counter serotonin, has been used to help increase appetite in people recovering from anorexia.

Barry Obummer

I don't know about that, but wouldn't surprise me. Cyproheptadine, which is supposed to counter serotonin, has been used to help increase appetite in people recovering from anorexia.
Interesting.

milk_lover

When I wash the carrot shreds, I see the light orange color tara talked about. I wash it again, and the water is almost clear. There is a maximum for the amount of carotene removed by washing and it's not a lot. The shreds are still very orange. When I carrots for consecutive number of days, my face starts to turn to orange. That's a sign I need to have a break from them and replace them probably by another fiber like cooked mushroom or any digestion tool like cascara. Carrots are still grey area for me.

Barry Obummer

When I wash the carrot shreds, I see the light orange color tara talked about. I wash it again, and the water is almost clear. There is a maximum for the amount of carotene removed by washing and it's not a lot. The shreds are still very orange. When I carrots for consecutive number of days, my face starts to turn to orange. That's a sign I need to have a break from them and replace them probably by another fiber like cooked mushroom or any digestion tool like cascara. Carrots are still grey area for me.
So turning orange means you body isn't converting enough BC into Vit A, which is being stored and acts like PUFA in the body. Is that the idea?

Barry Obummer

Actually I was obese up to 15, then became anorexic until 18, and I am 32 now. Though I am a very moderate healthy weight now, my appetite never returned, and I guess the "problems" with food never ended. I did that "drink the glucose test" and apparently I don't have diabetes, but I believe I did some serious damage to my metabolism and developed some insulin resistance. My thyroid levels are always normal on blood tests, but I think there might still be an issue. Now I am slowly trying to do more Peaty things, eat more, and lift weights to try and get things running better.

milk_lover

So turning orange means you body isn't converting enough BC into Vit A, which is being stored and acts like PUFA in the body. Is that the idea?
yeah beta carotene can act like PUFA, but also I believe it has been mentioned here a lot that vitamin A does the same. Peat said, "I avoid carotene, because it blocks thyroid and steroid production, and very large, excessive, amounts of vitamin A, retinol, can do the same." Maybe that's why he usually recommends just one medium carrot a day

I use haidut's Retinil with very good results so far. My skin is super shiny. I get compliments right and left from girls and boys. So I am not exactly sure how vitamin A inhibits thyroid by acting like PUFA to be honest even though I take very large excessive, amounts of vitamin A . Maybe because I use red light which helps me get away with high doses of A.

tara

My thyroid levels are always normal on blood tests, but I think there might still be an issue.
Normal according to dr? Not sure if you have posted the numbers before - if you want to, you may get different interpretations here.

Barry Obummer

Normal according to dr? Not sure if you have posted the numbers before - if you want to, you may get different interpretations here.
Ok, It's a complicated story. I should probably just take the time to be real complete and post all the info at once.

tara

what is the problem with beta carotene??:emoji_astonished:
Ideally, it gets converted to the active form of vitamin A and all is well.
Sometimes people can have trouble with the conversion, and it builds up. Too much of it can have some antimetabolic effects. The build up can show as orange in the skin, esp. in callouses.
Difficulty with conversion can arise when people are hypothyroid, or B12 deficient, and maybe other factors. Or one can just ingest more than useful amounts.

humpty-dumpty

Ideally, it gets converted to the active form of vitamin A and all is well.
Sometimes people can have trouble with the conversion, and it builds up. Too much of it can have some antimetabolic effects. The build up can show as orange in the skin, esp. in callouses.
Difficulty with conversion can arise when people are hypothyroid, or B12 deficient, and maybe other factors. Or one can just ingest more than useful amounts.
Wow, Thank you Tara, I am happy to know about this because I am hypothyroid, not sure about my B12 .
I love this forum, So many smart and well informed people here.

x-ray peat

not sure if this was asked but out of laziness I am just eating a peeled carrot without the extras. I assume this is still beneficial since carrot have anti-biotic properties of their own. Has Ray ever mentioned the benefits of just a raw carrot before?

tara

not sure if this was asked but out of laziness I am just eating a peeled carrot without the extras. I assume this is still beneficial since carrot have anti-biotic properties of their own. Has Ray ever mentioned the benefits of just a raw carrot before?
I think Peat has said you get most of the benefit from the carrot, and a little extra benefit from the vinegar and oil in a salad. If it agrees with you, seems good.
Personally, I get averse to whole carrots after about three, but grated and rinsed I can eat them indefinitely.

Would the carrot salad still work without the any oil or vinegar?

tara

I think most of the benefit is in the carrot fibres, with potentially some additional benefit from the vinegar and oil. So yes, there's a good chance the carrot will be helpful without the oil or vinegar.

whit

I've recently been experimenting with grated carrot in different ways to see if there was any noticable differences.
Grating the carrot and then brining it then rinsing it got a lot more of the juice out and the color was much paler. Then sqeezing remainder of the juice and water out. I realized at that point the fiber would be an even more effective vehicle for beneficial compounds. Since then I've added aloe juice and emodin at times and others just the standard vinegar and coconut oil. The dressing is definitely the better tasting of the two however the effect of the former seems to be greater. Temps are better and so is sleep and transit time is improved.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals