Carrot or carrot juice and misc. questions...

Peat's_Girl

Can you juice the carrot or do you have to eat it?

Do any of you dip the carrots in anything? I used to do it with hummus but that's heavy on PUFAs...

Oh. Do you guys eat marmite/ vegemite and what do you think Peat would say about it? ;)

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Also, should you eat cooked ripened bananas, ripened bananas or none at all?

Which fruits are the best? (I have no known allergies to fruits)

SQu

The carrot is eaten for the fibre not the juice, to remove endotoxin from the gut. Best way to eat is grated with salt, vinegar and coconut or olive oil which adds an antibacterial effect.
Don't know about marmite.
As far as I know bananas apples pears not ideal but ripe pawpaws watermelon and juiced oranges good.
Better still, go to general dietary guidelines, top left under navigation, under menu, on portal page . Keep reading, it's worth every minute!

tara

Hypothyroid people can have difficulty converting the carotene in carrots to vit-A, and can get overloaded with it (yeoow/orange callouses is a symptom).
I occasionally eat marmite. My guess is it's a mixture of good (salt, B vitamins) and not so good (additives, not sure if the estrogenic factors in yeast come a long with the yeast extract). I don't eat it often because I seldom eat bread (gluten and grains in general not recommended by Peat)- but every now and then I just want marmite toast, and I igure if there is anything bad in marmite I'm not eating a huge quantity of it.
Bananas have serotonin, too much of which can cause problems, especially if serotonin is already high. Better realy ripe and/or cooked than raw. I occasionally eat half - one banana now, but not as a staple every day food. When I was pregnant I got averse to them while eating several a day, and lost interest in them completely for a couple of years. (Also got strong aversion to cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, and yams - maybe too much carotene for me.)
Apples and pears may be better juiced if ripe or stewed if not so ripe, if that's what you have access to.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

How do I know if I'm hypothyroid?
I've been taking my temperature and it's higher than normal.
(Btw, where is the fabled thread that talks about body temp? I can't find it.)

I eat Marmite without bread ;D I like to put it on meat and on my carrot (weird, I know).

I only buy super ripe bananas, and I hate apples. So... Yeah. I wish I had a juicer, but I don't, and the fruits available here are pretty horrible so I must rely on commercial OJ (not from concentrate).

mt_dreams

Assuming you don't have a problem with vinegar or coconut oil, the preparation from above is the best method. That being said, if you can only tolerate raw carrots with hummus, then that is much better than not eating the carrots at all. You don't have to eat that much carrot to enjoy the benefits of the fiber. The same would go for the hummus, just keep it to a tbl or two which probably contains .5g of PUFA. I recall the doc mentioning in an interview that hummus is tolerable if properly prepared without added PUFA oils, and used sparingly as a spread (He may have been talking about Lentils & not chickpeas, as my brain doesn't hold onto legume info for long) . It's not something a hard core Peater will go for, but there are much bigger things to focus at least at the beginning.

See if you can get creative with apples. Local ripe fruit that is low in pufa & estrogen is very nutritious, and much better than non ripe tropical fruit. Try eating apple sauce with meats, or making apple juice with either grape or cherry juice, or adding a touch of cream to improve taste. Frozen oj, lemons, & apple sauce make up most of my fruit consumption. In the fall I buy bulk organic apples which I can for the entire year, as well as growing my own lemons. I just don't like what I see at my supermarket aside from the seasonal watermelons.

I recall reading somewhere that Canada Just banned Marmite due to some of the ingredients, I'm not sure if this is a red flag or not. I don't think yeast in any form is a good thing, which is why I will only eat white bread if it was prepared traditionally without yeast.

tara

mt_dreams said:
I recall reading somewhere that Canada Just banned Marmite due to some of the ingredients, I'm not sure if this is a red flag or not. I don't think yeast in any form is a good thing, which is why I will only eat white bread if it was prepared traditionally without yeast.
Was it UK marmite that was banned in Canada? Down here in the southern hemisphere we get to choose between Asssie vegemite and NZ marmite.
Not necessarily relevant in this case, but Peat has recommended DIY water extract of brewer's yeast against diabetes. Otherwise he's not keen on yeasts, I think because they are generally estrogenic.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

I think it was due to the vitamin B in Marmite, they have trouble with foods with "unregulated vitamins" or some crap like. (What about milk with vitamin D?! Or anything else?)

Oh, Canada... *shakes head*

Body temp thread? Anyone?...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals