Eating Daily Carrot With Lunch?

cyclops

I originally thought Peat clearly recommended eating the daily carrot away from meals, but in a couple of interviews I remember hearing him say it's good to eat it with food.

I'm having a difficult time fitting in the carrot separate from other meals. Could it still be optimal to eat it with a meal? I'm thinking at the end of the meal, it could help with digestion. Maybe even 15 minutes or so after lunch. What do you think?

loess

I usually have it about an hour before eating a meal, but there's no major problem in eating it with food. Ray Peat has said that the carrot fibers can delay digestion and reduce the absorption of some nutrients in the other foods that you eat it with, so while it may not be optimal to eat it alongside a meal in principle, you have to take into consideration what is practical for your unique context and fit it in as best you can.

Here is a quote from an East West Healing interview:
Josh Rubin: Another question about the carrot, it seems to come up and I think it’s a simplistic medicinal food that gets really put into a complex. People just are confused on you’re talking about how to use it, shredding and etcetera. People, which I find kind of odd because you have to eat one carrot, they are finding it hard to carve out time to eat a carrot alone. You recommend eating it before meal, with a meal, after a meal, is there any difference or is it really that simple just eat a carrot a day?

Dr. Ray Peat: Usually it's just eating the carrot but if you're having problem with low blood sugar or thyroid, your regular function, if you eat it with a meal you might slow digestion to the point that you aren’t getting your food as expected and so you might feel shaky after eating because you're not absorbing your food or activating your thyroid properly. But if a person wants to reduce their fat absorption, eating the carrot with the meal will accelerate weight loss, but you have to fit it in the way that functions best and one thing to keep in mind is that if your intestine has been sluggish for a long time and you start stimulating it with the raw carrot, you will be changing the rhythm of the peristalsis and it takes some times a week to set up a new rhythm around a daily carrot so you can get some side-effects while you're adapting, creating a new bowel rhythm.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals