Carrot Salad Timing

zeropercent21

I recently heard in an interview with Ray Peat that if you eat carrots with a full meal, it will block the absorption of other foods and lower your blood sugar a couple of hours after the meal. How exactly are you supposed to eat the carrot salad? Are supposed to eat it as a stand-alone meal without proteins and sugars? And do bamboo shoots have the same effect or can you eat them with full meals?

nwo2012

zeropercent21 said:
I recently heard in an interview with Ray Peat that if you eat carrots with a full meal, it will block the absorption of other foods, and lower your blood sugar a couple of hours after the meal. How exactly are you supposed to eat the carrot salad? Are supposed to eat it as a stand-alone meal without proteins and sugars? And do bamboo shoots have the same effect or can you eat them with full meals?

Yes standalone and yes bamboo shoots would be the same. I have it around 1 hour before food. With coconut oil, vinegar and salt.

zeropercent21

nwo2012 said:
zeropercent21 said:
I recently heard in an interview with Ray Peat that if you eat carrots with a full meal, it will block the absorption of other foods, and lower your blood sugar a couple of hours after the meal. How exactly are you supposed to eat the carrot salad? Are supposed to eat it as a stand-alone meal without proteins and sugars? And do bamboo shoots have the same effect or can you eat them with full meals?

Yes standalone and yes bamboo shoots would be the same. I have it around 1 hour before food. With coconut oil, vinegar and salt.

Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply. I've been eating carrots with my meals for the past two weeks and I've been feeling light-headed and dizzy lately. I now know why.

cliff

He said in an interview it is fine to eat it with a meal, I eat my carrot salad with OJ/milk with no problems.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
I always have mine with a little orange juice, sugar and gelatin.

nwo2012

cliff said:
He said in an interview it is fine to eat it with a meal, I eat my carrot salad with OJ/milk with no problems.

The issue is not whether its fine or not. Of course its fine but you will still not absorb all the nutrients from that meal so better to have in a gap simply for that reason. Well at least that is my take on it. ;)

cliff

It decreases it a little but probably nothing too significant imo. Eating between meals might be the best but isn't as convenient :)

nwo2012

cliff said:
It decreases it a little but probably nothing too significant imo. Eating between meals might be the best but isn't as convenient :)

Agree. I re-read my post and I hope I dont sound too pushy, was just tired and on another nightshift over-time. ;)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Rachel Is carrot salad the answer to the French "paradox"? Health 9
S Pumpkin Puree As An Alternative To The Carrot Salad Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 1
GreekDemiGod Instant Wellbeing Effect From Carrot Salad Digestion 11
Tyler2834 Carrot Salad Before Or After Enemas? Digestion 1
Brundle Is Peat-Friendly Mayonnaise A Safe Accompaniment To The Carrot Salad? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 2
Txchainsaw Carrot Salad With Homemade Ginger Syrup! Recipes 0
M Don't Forget The Carrot Salad Testimonials 9
Twohandsondeck A Carrot Salad Recipe + Write-up For The Uninitiated Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 0
Twohandsondeck Fastest Way To Prepare Carrot Salad (?) Diet 13
L Ray's Carrot Salad - Coconut Oil Vs EVOO Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 0
methylenewhite Solving Carrot Salad's Beta-carotene Issue Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 10
L Can Well Cooked Mushrooms Be Used Every Day Instead Of Raw Carrot Salad? Digestion, Gut Flora 2
L What Kind Of Vinegar Should Be Used For The Carrot Salad? Recipes 6
M Carrot Salad Causing Headache? Ask For Help or Advice 7
yerrag Carrot Salad With Shredded Coconut Meat Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 13
ShirtTieFitness Anti-Microbial, Anti-Fungal Carrot Salad 2.0 Digestion 44
O Carotene Bioavailability And RP Style Carrot Salad Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 6
D Incoroporating Glycine Into Carrot Salad? Digestion 0
P.G.Marjorie Carrot Salad Lowering Estrogens Even If Constipated? Digestion 3
Xisca My Carrot Salad Is Yellow And "spicy" Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 2
< Rain Orange Juice Carrot Salad - It Screams Recipes 17
javin Does Carrot Salad Warm Anybody Else Up Almost Immediately? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 4
EndAllDisease Why Carrot Salad Between Meals? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 4
K Die off hives from carrot salad!!!? Help Diet 12
P Supplementation and Carrot Salad Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 10
charlie Danny Roddy - "Ray Peat Inspired Nutrition - Carrot Salad" Danny Roddy 5
J Freezing after carrot salad Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 5
Makrosky What does the carrot salad kill exactly? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 26
uuy8778yyi does mixing cheese into the carrot salad, still effective ? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 7
Y why do we use coconut oil in carrot salad? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 1
N So, Is This Carrot Salad A Legit Thing? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 19
Y adding 1 tablespoon coconut oil to carrot salad okay? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 7
J The Carrot Salad Might Help You With Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 32
paper_clips43 Upgraded Carrot Salad Recipes 2
N Carrot salad supposed to be intermittent? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 2
D Preparing Carrot Salad In Advance? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 19
M Carrot salad - eat by itself? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 9
Bluebell Is there any benefit to the vinegar in the carrot salad? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 8
N Josh Rubin Says Not To Eat The Carrot Salad After 3pm Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 23
K Carrot salad - can't eat coconut oil Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 12
J Carrot Salad anyone? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 11
charlie Ray Peat Carrot Salad Recipes 100
G Sugar and Yest Infection (Estrogen, Thyroid, Carrot Salad) Kmud Interview: Sept.17,2010 - Sugar I [Clipped.In 0
metabolizm Raw Carrot Diet 20
orewashin How Many Ounces Of Carrot? Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 10
T Carrot Juice Vs. Raw Carrots Diet 4
A Looks Like The Daily Carrot Is Going Mainstream Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 6
Geronimo Carrot Powder Replacement For Raw Carrot Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 6
metabolizm Remarkable Laxative Effect Of Raw Carrot Vegetables, Grains, Legumes, Fiber 2
ecstatichamster Does Carrot/cooked ‘shrooms/bamboo Shoots Cause Anyone Bad Effects, Or Headaches Blood Work, Labs 30