• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Carrot Salad Timing

zeropercent21

Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
20
I recently heard in an interview with Ray Peat that if you eat carrots with a full meal, it will block the absorption of other foods and lower your blood sugar a couple of hours after the meal. How exactly are you supposed to eat the carrot salad? Are supposed to eat it as a stand-alone meal without proteins and sugars? And do bamboo shoots have the same effect or can you eat them with full meals?
 

nwo2012

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
1,107
zeropercent21 said:
I recently heard in an interview with Ray Peat that if you eat carrots with a full meal, it will block the absorption of other foods, and lower your blood sugar a couple of hours after the meal. How exactly are you supposed to eat the carrot salad? Are supposed to eat it as a stand-alone meal without proteins and sugars? And do bamboo shoots have the same effect or can you eat them with full meals?

Yes standalone and yes bamboo shoots would be the same. I have it around 1 hour before food. With coconut oil, vinegar and salt.
 

zeropercent21

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
20
nwo2012 said:
zeropercent21 said:
I recently heard in an interview with Ray Peat that if you eat carrots with a full meal, it will block the absorption of other foods, and lower your blood sugar a couple of hours after the meal. How exactly are you supposed to eat the carrot salad? Are supposed to eat it as a stand-alone meal without proteins and sugars? And do bamboo shoots have the same effect or can you eat them with full meals?

Yes standalone and yes bamboo shoots would be the same. I have it around 1 hour before food. With coconut oil, vinegar and salt.

Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply. I've been eating carrots with my meals for the past two weeks and I've been feeling light-headed and dizzy lately. I now know why.
 

cliff

Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2012
Messages
425
Age
33
Location
Los Angeles
He said in an interview it is fine to eat it with a meal, I eat my carrot salad with OJ/milk with no problems.
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
12,296
Location
USA
I always have mine with a little orange juice, sugar and gelatin.
 

nwo2012

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
1,107
cliff said:
He said in an interview it is fine to eat it with a meal, I eat my carrot salad with OJ/milk with no problems.

The issue is not whether its fine or not. Of course its fine but you will still not absorb all the nutrients from that meal so better to have in a gap simply for that reason. Well at least that is my take on it. ;)
 

cliff

Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2012
Messages
425
Age
33
Location
Los Angeles
It decreases it a little but probably nothing too significant imo. Eating between meals might be the best but isn't as convenient :)
 

nwo2012

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
1,107
cliff said:
It decreases it a little but probably nothing too significant imo. Eating between meals might be the best but isn't as convenient :)

Agree. I re-read my post and I hope I dont sound too pushy, was just tired and on another nightshift over-time. ;)
 

Similar threads

Top