Supplementation and Carrot Salad

PTP

Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to put supplements, for example Haidut's Estroban, on my carrot salad? Originally I liked the idea because of it's similar taste to olive oil, but now I'm wondering if the antibiotic effects of the carrot will simply destroy the vitamins.

Secondly, I know this has been asked before but I'm still unclear why I'm not meant to eat the carrot salad with other foods - is it the same problem, destruction of vitamins? I like it because whenever I have it regularly I never get digestions problems, and I often do have digestion problems. However I tend to have a mild allergic reactions to raw carrots, the vinegar helps somewhat but I always need either milk or coffee or ice cream to completely wash away the germs.

J

jb116

It's not a destruction than it is more of a binding and expelling. I'm sure you would want to have a vitamin or nutrient work to its full capacity,
so having the carrot salad alone is much more efficient. With the food it is the same idea, you want to let the carrot do its thing with its unique fibers.
Logically though, as Peat as mentioned as well, if one does eat carrot salad with food you will be reducing some of the fat content of the food.

Dean

I think one of the reasons he recommends it's better eaten alone is because it slows down digestion. On the other hand, he has recommended cooked bamboo shoots in a cheese sauce to at least one person as an alternative. Maybe there is a reason cooked bamboo shoots are ok with other food, but raw carrot is not?... but I think the point is to get that unique fiber in whatever way you can.

OP
P

PTP

Thanks guys, useful info. When I'm done travelling perhaps I'll turn it into more of an afternoon thing. Though not sure my carrot mixed with coconut oil and occasionally also olive oil is going to reduce the fat content of my meals. Never had bamboo shoots but perhaps the cheese sauce is just to make it more palatable? Doesn't sound very appetizing on it's own.

Dean

yeah, I'm sure palatability is why he recommended the cheese sauce, but one would think he wouldn't have recommended it if it was in some way going to negate the effects of the bamboo shoot fiber.

I've eaten bamboo shoot strips with coc oil and vinegar. They aren't that bad. Other than the long lingering aftertaste of having spent a lifetime sucking mud from a Laotian riverbed, that is.

J

jb116

PTP said:
post 102892 Thanks guys, useful info. When I'm done travelling perhaps I'll turn it into more of an afternoon thing. Though not sure my carrot mixed with coconut oil and occasionally also olive oil is going to reduce the fat content of my meals. Never had bamboo shoots but perhaps the cheese sauce is just to make it more palatable? Doesn't sound very appetizing on it's own.

No that was more about just eating a plain carrot with other food.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

I would not eat supplements with the carrot salad, because you're likely to waste a lot of supplement.
Eating the carrot salad alone may be optimal, but eating it as all is more important.

mt_dreams

PTP said:
post 102834
Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to put supplements, for example Haidut's Estroban, on my carrot salad? Originally I liked the idea because of it's similar taste to olive oil, but now I'm wondering if the antibiotic effects of the carrot will simply destroy the vitamins.

Secondly, I know this has been asked before but I'm still unclear why I'm not meant to eat the carrot salad with other foods - is it the same problem, destruction of vitamins? I like it because whenever I have it regularly I never get digestions problems, and I often do have digestion problems. However I tend to have a mild allergic reactions to raw carrots, the vinegar helps somewhat but I always need either milk or coffee or ice cream to completely wash away the germs.

The fiber doesn't destroy the nutrients, rather the nutrients bind to the fiber, which decreases the amount you absorb.
If you can't eat the fiber on it's own, you can add food, just expect to not absorb all the nutrients.
Taking supplements with the fiber would be the worst time of day to take in the supplements. I would wait at least an hour and a half after eating to take in any supplement.
I do not digest raw carrots all that well, so I have switched over to cooked mushrooms in oil. I sometimes add in the egg whites I have left over from ice cream when I want to make a meal out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

PTP

Hmm I do prefer mushrooms to carrots. Not sure about adding egg whites though, fairly high in tryptophan I believe, although I still eat plenty as part of scrambled eggs. I do like the carrot salad and can mostly tolerate it, I just need to wash it down with something or I get mild reactions to the germs, if I don't I'm just uncomfortable for a few minutes.

Is the fiber completely indigestible? If the nutrients bind to the fiber and I eventually digest the fiber then there wouldn't be any issues in theory, correct?

J

jb116

The fiber is not digestible, part of its mechanism in 'sweeping' out the intestines lies in that fact.

OP
P

PTP

I thought so, well thank you everyone for your advice, time to rethink my supplementation timing and methods.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals