Questions About Bamboo Shoots

Wagner83

Thanks for the link.
A few concerns were raised here:
Bamboo Shoots
In the past Ray has recommended to vary the source of fibers (mushrooms, carrots, bamboom shoots..). I find that pineapples are usually quite effective.

Kartoffel

Thanks for the link.
A few concerns were raised here:
Bamboo Shoots
In the past Ray has recommended to vary the source of fibers (mushrooms, carrots, bamboom shoots..). I find that pineapples are usually quite effective.

Thanks, I read that thread before I started eating them. The shoots are already cooked and canned and should be safe for consumption. I boil them an additional 10-15min (mainly to wash out the taste). They are actually pretty tasty when you drop some vinegar, olive oil, and a little salt on them. I'll stick with them for now.

lvysaur

Personally bamboo shoots don't do anything huge for me. I just use them in Chinese/Thai food. They're probably helping in the background.

With raw carrots, I feel an immediate increase in energy, appetite, and sometimes an urge to defecate. I don't think bamboo or mushrooms are comparable to carrots.

Kartoffel

Personally bamboo shoots don't do anything huge for me. I just use them in Chinese/Thai food. They're probably helping in the background.

With raw carrots, I feel an immediate increase in energy, appetite, and sometimes an urge to defecate. I don't think bamboo or mushrooms are comparable to carrots.

That's what the bamboo does for me. I guess everyone is different...

accelerator

I recently switched from carrots to bamboo shoots because I was getting orange calluses on my hands, and I have to say I feel much better now than with carrots. My bowel movement frequency has increased significantly, and I don't experience bloating or discomfort which happens after eating a raw carrot for me. I also found that I have intact strands of bamboo fiber in my stool (I know gross). Peat said that people often find intact fibers in their stool after eating carrots, but I never noticed that.
In this study, bamboo fiber was at least as effective as raw carrots as far as lowering cholesterol, increasing bowel movement frequency, stool volume, and abdominal discomfort are concerned. They used a different bamboo species than the one that is commonly sold in supermarkets, but in my experience the "normal" bamboo fiber works as well.

Sci-Hub | Effects of bamboo shoot consumption on lipid profiles and bowel function in healthy young women. Nutrition, 25(7-8), 723–728 | 10.1016/j.nut.2009.01.007

View attachment 11940

View attachment 11941

How long did it take for the orange calluses to go away after switching?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals