Your Personal Experience With Raw Carrots

lindsay

Regarding my experience with carrots, I noticed early on that they either caused slower digestion, or diarrhea (the latter sometimes relieved estrogen dominance, only if my stomach calmed down afterward). So I stopped with the carrot salad for awhile and just ate raw carrots when I had them at home - I like carrots. A few weeks ago, my stomach was bothering me a lot (despite taking thyroid) and so I turned to the trusty organic carrot salad to help me clear the bacteria, believing it would help. I make the salad with grated carrot, CO, salt and honey. Unfortunately, my stomach condition worsened, I got a bit depressed and stressed, and then finally I came to my senses and stopped eating the carrot, took some activated charcoal, and voila - back to better! Yay. That being said, I need some sort of fiber in my diet to keep me regular and clear things out, so I recently switched from carrot to spaghetti squash (with tomato sauce and parmesan cheese) while taking the bit of charcoal and also some very well cooked beets (not both in the same day). I find that spaghetti squash and cooked beets (especially beets) provide much better and more consistent bowel movements than the carrots for me. I have since stopped the charcoal but continued with the spaghetti squash and beets and am very satisfied with their gut cleaning. I think I just prefer all my veggies well cooked o_O

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5487

Raw carrot definitely increases elimination within minutes after consumption and relieves brain fog.
Boiled mushrooms raise my temperature and pulse instantly.
Bamboo shoots alleviate my body odor.
Coffee has been the best overall food for digestive health, temperature, pulse, and well being for me.

However, I use all 4 to improve overall health...
Carrot 5x a week
mushrooms 5x a week.
Coffee daily.
Bamboo shoots couple days a month.

Old thread. But I have found carrots to do wonder for my brain fog. About 2 hours after I'm clear as winter morning. Tempted to eat a few a day. Coffee does that same. Is endo toxin and serotonin responsable?

Velve921

Old thread. But I have found carrots to do wonder for my brain fog. About 2 hours after I'm clear as winter morning. Tempted to eat a few a day. Coffee does that same. Is endo toxin and serotonin responsable?

I think can be a cascade of many things, but generally speaking bacteria, endorphin and an assortment of stress hormones can slow down the metabolism creating brain fog.

Elysium

I eat 2 to 3 raw organic carrots practically every day of the year, several observations:

- Consuming it helps me stay on the safe side, in case of Peat being wrong about vegetables in general. It is the only vegetable I eat, for that reason alone I would not give it up. I ate it the same even before starting to Peat, even though I don't particularly love it. It is just a habit now.

- Super regular bowel movement every morning. That said, once my bowels got used to it, they instantly slow down the day after I for whatever reason skip or forget the carrot.

- When I fall asleep before being able to brush my teeth, it makes a hell of difference whether I ate carrot as my last meal (it almost always is my last meal). Eating carrot just before falling asleep makes my morning breath (or rather taste) better than actually brushing before sleep. A sure sign of strong antiseptic properties. Also, my dinner is almost always farmers cheese (quark) with honey. So there's a lot of honey on my teeth in the evening and the carrot seemingly cleans it enough that I haven't had cavities in years. I fall asleep without brushing my teeth about 3 times a week, so the honey residue is a pretty frequent occurrence. (I also eat 3 egg shells a day so that may have something to do with it...with the absence of cavities, I mean).

Beside that, nothing miraculous, but that's mostly because I don't really suffer from anything.

Last edited:

docall18

Carrot gives me HD vision and a clear head. (lowering serotonin).

Have been taking it on/off for a long time but only really notice the effect recently. I stopped taking vinegar with it. So maybe the vinegar was irritating my stomach.

I now just chew a raw carrot and eat a bit of coconut oil with it.

RayPeatFan777

Im trying the raw carrot thing. Do I eat the carrots skin or peel it and use the 'inside' of the carrot.

lvysaur

I just eat the carrot with nothing else (a bit of water helps swallowing the roughage)

It makes me hungry and active, makes my teeth feel good.

RayPeatFan777

I just eat the carrot with nothing else (a bit of water helps swallowing the roughage)

It makes me hungry and active, makes my teeth feel good.
trying it for the first time about an hour ago it actually made the insides of mouth very irritated. Could be coincidence, ill try it again before bed.

raypeatclips

trying it for the first time about an hour ago it actually made the insides of mouth very irritated. Could be coincidence, ill try it again before bed.

Just eating a carrot on its own like bugs bunny often hurt my teeth and mouth. If this is what you were doing maybe try grate it into long strands I don't get any mouth irritation this way.

Glassy

I just wash and grate 2 carrots per day. I haven’t noticed anything particularly amazing of a hormonal or temperature raising nature but my bowel movements have become amazingly regular and effortless. Reducing the amount of animal flesh consumed probably helps a lot but it was the carrot that seemed to unblock the pipes so to speak.

I went about 5 days over Xmas while travelling without the daily carrot. The only thing I noticed was that my regular BMs became less regular and volumous. I add CO and ACV to the mix now but I didn’t perceive any benefit or negative with adding it in.

John Sina

I eat 2 to 3 raw organic carrots practically every day of the year, several observations:

- Consuming it helps me stay on the safe side, in case of Peat being wrong about vegetables in general. It is the only vegetable I eat, for that reason alone I would not give it up. I ate it the same even before starting to Peat, even though I don't particularly love it. It is just a habit now.

- Super regular bowel movement every morning. That said, once my bowels got used to it, they instantly slow down the day after I for whatever reason skip or forget the carrot.

- When I fall asleep before being able to brush my teeth, it makes a hell of difference whether I ate carrot as my last meal (it almost always is my last meal). Eating carrot just before falling asleep makes my morning breath (or rather taste) better than actually brushing before sleep. A sure sign of strong antiseptic properties. Also, my dinner is almost always farmers cheese (quark) with honey. So there's a lot of honey on my teeth in the evening and the carrot seemingly cleans it enough that I haven't had cavities in years. I fall asleep without brushing my teeth about 3 times a week, so the honey residue is a pretty frequent occurrence. (I also eat 3 egg shells a day so that may have something to do with it...with the absence of cavities, I mean).

Beside that, nothing miraculous, but that's mostly because I don't really suffer from anything.

If carrot is the only vegetable you are eating, then you are doing yourself and your gut microbiome a huge disservice. You need diversity in your vegetables to have good gut health and promote diversity.

EIRE24

If carrot is the only vegetable you are eating, then you are doing yourself and your gut microbiome a huge disservice. You need diversity in your vegetables to have good gut health and promote diversity.
Speak for yourself. Vegetables wreck my gut

theLaw

Sounds like you're on the wrong forum.

whit

I've had great results with combining lapodin or emodin with grated carrots.
Asprin and coffee with grated carrots is also effective.

raypeatclips

Sounds like you're on the wrong forum.

Why is he on the wrong forum? Because he's not being orthorexic and only eating 1 "peat approved" vegetable? Have to seen these emails from Peat? He has also said in the past I believe, if things cause you gas and the gas isn't smelly then that's ok too. Hes never said only eat carrot and even suggesting anything else is a sin.

Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

theLaw

Why is he on the wrong forum? Because he's not being orthorexic and only eating 1 "peat approved" vegetable? Have to seen these emails from Peat? He has also said in the past I believe, if things cause you gas and the gas isn't smelly then that's ok too. Hes never said only eat carrot and even suggesting anything else is a sin.

Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

His first post, and he's telling others : "You need diversity in your vegetables to have good gut health and promote diversity.", which is simply not true.

He doesn't present himself as someone who has actually familiarized himself with the ideas on this forum, but decides to give advise anyway.

Perhaps his next suggestion will be low carb.......:rolleyes:

raypeatclips

His first post, and he's telling others : "You need diversity in your vegetables to have good gut health and promote diversity.", which is simply not true.

He doesn't present himself as someone who has actually familiarized himself with the ideas on this forum, but decides to give advise anyway.

Perhaps his next suggestion will be low carb.......:rolleyes:

What if the ideas on this forum are wrong?

I believe Peat would lean towards the side of eating a various amount of vegetables (that cause you no negative symptoms) rather than only eat carrot and nothing else, when you want to eat more.

Eating a few vegetables and low carb have drastically different health outcomes IMO

theLaw

What if the ideas on this forum are wrong?

I believe Peat would lean towards the side of eating a various amount of vegetables (that cause you no negative symptoms) rather than only eat carrot and nothing else, when you want to eat more.

Eating a few vegetables and low carb have drastically different health outcomes IMO

Perhaps they are, but telling them that they "need diversity in your vegetables to have good gut health and promote diversity" presents no evidence to back up this claim that is counter to the general ideas on this forum regarding vegetables.

Even in your statements and those of Peat you're already qualifying your claim about vegetable diversity.

First...........do no harm, which is precisely what Elysium was saying when John Sina responded.

raypeatclips

Perhaps they are, but telling them that they "need diversity in your vegetables to have good gut health and promote diversity" presents no evidence to back up this claim that is counter to the general ideas on this forum regarding vegetables.

Even in your statements and those of Peat you're already qualifying your claim about vegetable diversity.

First...........do no harm, which is precisely what Elysium was saying when John Sina responded.

I see your point, fair enough. I still think a lot of vegetables are unnecessarily avoided on here however because Peat hasn't specifically named them.