Your Personal Experience With Raw Carrots

tara

On another note, carrots appear as the only tuber that possesses a delicious flavor in its raw state, and indeed the only starch to fit such a description.
I don't think carrots are either tubers or more than a tiny bit of incidental starches?

Last edited:

BobbyDukes

I used to think, "What good will a carrot do?"

I recently added them back in to lower estrogen, and I've been pleasantly surprised.

They're at least as effective as Vitamin E if not more.

I agree. I go through phases of forgetting the carrot, and everything goes downhill pretty quickly for me, when I do.

A few weeks back, during a week of full on work, I went a week without the carrot, and my temps were progressing to beyond awful. I was actually really worried, and thought there might be something wrong with me. What the hell was happening to me. All the protein, thyroid and sugar in the world wasn't doing anything against the bitter winter. I was declining fast. So when I finally got a day off from work, the first thing I did was get back on the carrot, and within 2 hours, my extremities were literally on fire. I've remembered the carrot everyday since, and my temps are good. I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the **** to eat and prepare. But it's worth it.

It's all about the gut, baby

whit

Great carrot content:thumbleft
I've been using a peeler and fill a container with carrot strips pour in kombucha vinegar and salt lime juice.
My kids sometimes clean it out before I get a chance at it. Very tasty.

I eat 3g of raw carrot in the afternoon. Sometimes I will add them to my dinner. I eat organic whole carrots. I bite the ends off and give the ends to my dogs. I have been "prescribing" feeding carrots to my canine and equine patients for years with good results (decreased allergies, decreased foul poo oder, healthy weight loss). They make a great treat for dogs especially if frozen and given on a hot Florida afternoon.

I personally have noticed that my bowel function is more consistent and my belly bloat is gone on the days that I remember to eat my carrots.

Thanks my mutt thinks he's a goat. Great tips.

pepsi

A carrot reliably takes care of gases, but I get carotenosis if I eat carrots a couple of days in a raw.

Yea, me too. I read somewhere Ray Peat said rinsing them should take care of that, I do that but still the palms of my hands are yellowish when I eat them daily. This happened to me before when I used to eat a lot of sweet potatoes.

I really like the carrot salad, especially when I add Parmesan cheese to it. So I dont know what to do?

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

In his latest interview, Peat advised a woman to eat a raw carrot with coffee/caffeine before bed so as to slow down the caffeine absorption rate by the intestines to keep blood sugars elevated during sleep. Coffee/caffeine keeps blood sugar high maybe by raising cortisol? I am tempted to try that one day.

@christina how is your daily B12 intake? I think B12 can help with the carotenosis issue. Do you peel the carrot vertically all the way until it's gone and then wash the strips twice? The first time washing them in a bowl, you will see the water turn to orange. Although the strips will have less color after washing, they become devoid of life if you know what I mean. Just dry like paper shreds and it often makes me constipated.

If carrots are the only one(or main) source of fiber for us, then we need a lot of them for regular bowel movement, proper estrogen and toxin detoxification.. And carrot really is the best type of fiber.. :thumbleft

that's a really good point...... there is not enough fiber in the ray peat diet... no wonder i am constantly constipated.... what the hell. orange juice has like .2 grams of fiber, carrots have like 2 grams per carrot. you are supposed to get like 14 grams per 1000 calories.

?????????????????

where is fiber in this diet? there is none. omg.

Velve921

I get 14 grams of fiber per 3200 kcals a day and I eliminate 2-4x per day, I eat gelatin, milk, cheese, oysters, liver, eggs, coconut oil, butter, fruit, coffee, salt, sugar, ice cream, dark chocolate, raw carrot, boiled mushrooms, and daily red light and epsom salt baths. I was under the impression that its less about fiber but more about the energetic status of the cell that causes healthy elimination? Am I missing something about the fiber?

achillea

In his latest interview, Peat advised a woman to eat a raw carrot with coffee/caffeine before bed so as to slow down the caffeine absorption rate by the intestines to keep blood sugars elevated during sleep. Coffee/caffeine keeps blood sugar high maybe by raising cortisol? I am tempted to try that one day.

@christina how is your daily B12 intake? I think B12 can help with the carotenosis issue. Do you peel the carrot vertically all the way until it's gone and then wash the strips twice? The first time washing them in a bowl, you will see the water turn to orange. Although the strips will have less color after washing, they become devoid of life if you know what I mean. Just dry like paper shreds and it often makes me constipated.

Not to raise cortisol but to lower it. You want to keep it from rising so as to abate the possibility of adrenal stress . Did it last night and it worked along with the milk and sugar .Slept great with no hypnic headache. So grateful to Dr. Ray Peat!

800mRepeats

I'm with Ewlevy1 on this. Similarly regular with fiber around 12 grams, some days a lot less. This is no change from back when I was eating 20-30 grams a day.

bobbybobbob

The carrot is just a bolus of fiber. It has no special antibacterial properties, as is often claimed around here. After a few days of regular consumption carrot ferments in the gut just like any other vegetable. Eat a serving of whatever other pickled vegetable for the same benefit. I like pickles and pickled cabbage.

whit

Peat knows most fibers including oat bran, inulin, and cellulose can be breeding grounds for pathogens in most people. Mainly because we lack the ability to digest them.
The ones he does approve of work like a mild antibiotic. Carrots and bamboo shoots do work for most, but not everybody.
We cover them with some salt, it draws out the liquid, rinse. Then soak them in vinegar and oil.
The coconut oil works in many ways. One is that it's carmative to the gut and aids in transit time.

bobbybobbob

The ones he does approve of work like a mild antibiotic. Carrots and bamboo shoots do work for most, but not everybody.

Yes, this is the claim but it's just not true. Carrot is not meaningfully antibiotic at all in the gut. If you eat it daily, after a week or so it ferments just like anything else after the gut biome adapts. This can be measured by hydrogen breath test.

The benefit of carrot is simply from the fiber helping to clean out the guts. Wheat bran is superior in its ability to bind estrogen. Other vegetable fibers are just as good as carrot.

tara

there is not enough fiber in the ray peat diet
Do you mean your current version of a Ray-Peat-inspired diet doesn't have enough fibre for you? Some people seem to do fine on this front with their versions. Many people find the raw carrot useful; but a few find it more constipating. If it works for you, you can eat the the carrot salad 3 or 4 times a day between meals if you want.

I was under the impression that its less about fiber but more about the energetic status of the cell that causes healthy elimination? Am I missing something about the fiber?
Sounds like you are getting some fibre and have good elimination, so I don't see a problem for you.
I agree that energetic status is important for elimination.
Fibre can also give the additional benefit of helping to carry out excess estrogen and endotoxin. Slow transit, which I guess you don''t have, may make this more important.

Giraffe

Carrot is not meaningfully antibiotic at all in the gut. If you eat it daily, after a week or so it ferments just like anything else after the gut biome adapts. This can be measured by hydrogen breath test.
Do you have a reference?

RP: It is extremely rare for a person to have microorganism that can survive a good supply of either carrots or bamboo fiber. Certain organisms can adapt to live on them, but it's very rare.

Blood Pressure Regulation, Heart Failure and Muscle Atrophy - KMUD, 2012-07-20

bobbybobbob

Barry Obummer

I agree. I go through phases of forgetting the carrot, and everything goes downhill pretty quickly for me, when I do.

A few weeks back, during a week of full on work, I went a week without the carrot, and my temps were progressing to beyond awful. I was actually really worried, and thought there might be something wrong with me. What the hell was happening to me. All the protein, thyroid and sugar in the world wasn't doing anything against the bitter winter. I was declining fast. So when I finally got a day off from work, the first thing I did was get back on the carrot, and within 2 hours, my extremities were literally on fire. I've remembered the carrot everyday since, and my temps are good. I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the **** to eat and prepare. But it's worth it.

It's all about the gut, baby

Wow, you sold me, I am going to try this.

Gl;itch.e

I think I have written my experience before but I will re-iterate.

When I first tried a carrot a day (did not bother making salads/grating the carrot) I noticed fat loss from the backs of my arms after a week or two. They have stayed leaner since then. Apparently this area is one effected by fat storage due to estrogen. I noticed better bowel movements as well but could not keep up with a carrot everyday as my calluses started to become orangey. I eat them sporadically now and then but not regularly or consistently. Backs of arms have stayed lean

Giraffe

I noticed fat loss from the backs of my arms after a week or two. They have stayed leaner since then. Apparently this area is one effected by fat storage due to estrogen.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals