Can Aging Theoratically Be Prevented?

Gadsie

Under perfect circumstances, would the body still age? Or does the body have “programmed” aging?

postman

If you keep PUFA down low enough, drink enough milk and orange juice, eat enough gelatin and mushrooms you can not only reverse aging, but you can also age in reverse! If you stick to it long enough you will eventually shrink down to baby size again, so be careful!

danielbb

I like the term mitigate. I think we can mitigate the effects of age. Live an abundant and healthy life up and until we breath our last breath. We can also reverse things as well as I've had some things reverse back to like I was in my youth and I am pleased about that. We cannot Benjamin Button reverse as postman humorously replied, but in many cases things can be reversed if we come to our senses and begin to take car of ourselves.

I look at Jennifer Lopez as an example of the possibilities you are asking about. I've looked at her diet and it is clean, not complicated, nor unnecessarily expensive. She may have a personal chef but that certainly is not a requirement for the average person. I am pretty sure she does not drink alcohol or take any other type substance. Perhaps none of us have the time each day to work out like she does, but I believe moderate exercise applied reasonably over time can achieve similar results. Her skin quality and complexion are perfect. She is ripped. She is almost 50 years old and looks like she is 25. I know some will push-back against me and suggest she got lucky genetics and/or she is rich and can afford to look that way. I don't think so. I think it is much simpler and easier to explain than that. She takes care of herself, she exercises, and she eats a clean diet that anyone here can emulate at reasonable cost.

OP
Gadsie

Gadsie

I like the term mitigate. I think we can mitigate the effects of age. Live an abundant and healthy life up and until we breath our last breath. We can also reverse things as well as I've had some things reverse back to like I was in my youth and I am pleased about that. We cannot Benjamin Button reverse as postman humorously replied, but in many cases things can be reversed if we come to our senses and begin to take car of ourselves.

I look at Jennifer Lopez as an example of the possibilities you are asking about. I've looked at her diet and it is clean, not complicated, nor unnecessarily expensive. She may have a personal chef but that certainly is not a requirement for the average person. I am pretty sure she does not drink alcohol or take any other type substance. Perhaps none of us have the time each day to work out like she does, but I believe moderate exercise applied reasonably over time can achieve similar results. Her skin quality and complexion are perfect. She is ripped. She is almost 50 years old and looks like she is 25. I know some will push-back against me and suggest she got lucky genetics and/or she is rich and can afford to look that way. I don't think so. I think it is much simpler and easier to explain than that. She takes care of herself, she exercises, and she eats a clean diet that anyone here can emulate at reasonable cost.

I think a combination of a decent diet, not being overweight, permanently tanned skin (both covering flaws and protecting from UV), low stress due to being rich, makeup, lighting and possible plastic surgery can get you pretty far in looking younger. I’d say she looks like a healthy 40 yo

danielbb

What's her diet?
Here's two that came up on a quick google search. The first link talks with her personal trainers and even they suggest it is not necessary to push things as hard as she does and I agree with them. The second article talks about her clean eating patterns and refusal to indulge in things like alcohol. The second article sounds moderate and reasonable. I am not suggesting eating the same things she does (unless you also like those things) but using a similar philosophy of eating selecting from whole-food sources rather than processed food. I don't even believe things have to be organic as she suggests but she can afford to eat that way. I don't believe it is necessary to push as hard as she does but in her mind, she believes it is necessary for her. Based on my own experiences (basically giving up processed food and going to whole-food sources) and moderate exercise, I know it's possible to get similar results and I am almost 9 years older than she is. Her beauty is a gift from God. There is nothing any of us can do to change what we were born with in terms of that quality. We can optimize what we have and that is a good thing.

Jennifer Lopez’s Workout & Diet Plan Revealed By Her 2 Trainers – Hollywood Life

This is what J.Lo eats to stay in shape

tankasnowgod

Under perfect circumstances, would the body still age? Or does the body have “programmed” aging?

This has been discussed on the forum before. In short, every organism will "mature." As well, every organism will get older with time (as will every other piece of matter or energy in this universe). But not every animal "ages," and lobsters, hydras, and flamingos have been used as examples (in the sense of "aging" being degeneration.) Even human cells in perfect cell cultures have been kept alive decades longer than they normally would. Our cells are functionally immortal, and our bodies likely would be as well in "perfect" circumstances.

However, in modern life, we are far, far from perfect circumstances. I certainly see no evidence that humans, or any other animal, are programmed to "age" in the sense of degeneration. I think we can prevent and even reverse some of that sort of aging, but again, that's a lot easier said than done. However, every organism is "programmed" to mature, and if that process is stopped or interfered with, the results are terrible.

Cirion

People over think it when it comes to preventing (well, mitigating) the effects of aging

- Eat a wholesome diet
- Sleep enough every night without fail (Ideally go to bed soon after sundown, wake up with the sun, to achieve a good circadian rythym)
- Sleep in nature, if you can (this may sound weird, but I've heard of cultures where people live to 100+ and swear by sleeping directly on the earth, and not on "beds" like most "civilized" cultures)
- Minimize or even eliminate use of electronics. Spend way more time in nature/outdoors/sunlight. Live away from major EMF sources (cell towers, 5G, etc)
- Eliminate toxic relationships in your life, spend only your time with loved ones and good friends
- Work out on the beach ideally with some of the feet in the water. This was an interesting thing I heard recently. The ocean is filled with salt and other minerals you can soak up, kind of like an Epsom salt bath.
- Being rich always help as someone else stated as it makes a lot of the above more achievable. Being rich also allows you to pursue your true passions in your own free time and avoid "Every day" stresses like bills and mortgage payments etc
- Always focus on self improvement, read books, read research, anything that interests you and apply it to your life
- Avoid stress at all costs, in its various forms
- Don't take prescription drugs

If you do all that you will likely make it to 100 or close to it with minimal or no diseases

A lot of that is hard while still in the 9-5 workforce in modern life though. One reason why my goal is to retire from the rat race so to speak asap, because I know I won't live to 100 in my current environment. The 9-5 workforce lifestyle is designed to age you at a rapid pace so that by the time you reach 60-70 (if you even live that long), you'll be in horrible health and likely die within 5-10 yr of retirement. I have a coworker I work with who is 60 something and looks like he is 80-90. I can tell the standard American diet and lifestyle has not been doing him favors. Sad really.

Last edited:
J

jb116

People over think it when it comes to preventing (well, mitigating) the effects of aging

- Eat a wholesome diet
- Sleep enough every night without fail (Ideally go to bed soon after sundown, wake up with the sun, to achieve a good circadian rythym)
- Sleep in nature, if you can (this may sound weird, but I've heard of cultures where people live to 100+ and swear by sleeping directly on the earth, and not on "beds" like most "civilized" cultures)
- Minimize or even eliminate use of electronics. Spend way more time in nature/outdoors/sunlight. Live away from major EMF sources (cell towers, 5G, etc)
- Eliminate toxic relationships in your life, spend only your time with loved ones and good friends
- Work out on the beach ideally with some of the feet in the water. This was an interesting thing I heard recently. The ocean is filled with salt and other minerals you can soak up, kind of like an Epsom salt bath.
- Being rich always help as someone else stated as it makes a lot of the above more achievable. Being rich also allows you to pursue your true passions in your own free time and avoid "Every day" stresses like bills and mortgage payments etc
- Always focus on self improvement, read books, read research, anything that interests you and apply it to your life
- Avoid stress at all costs, in its various forms
- Don't take prescription drugs

If you do all that you will likely make it to 100 or close to it with minimal or no diseases

A lot of that is hard while still in the 9-5 workforce in modern life though. One reason why my goal is to retire from the rat race so to speak asap, because I know I won't live to 100 in my current environment. The 9-5 workforce lifestyle is designed to age you at a rapid pace so that by the time you reach 60-70 (if you even live that long), you'll be in horrible health and likely die within 5-10 yr of retirement. I have a coworker I work with who is 60 something and looks like he is 80-90. I can tell the standard American diet and lifestyle has not been doing him favors. Sad really.
All fairly sound however this isn't a question of mitigating but prevention of aging. These are separate things. I think the honest answer is nobody really knows if aging can be prevented. We know we can mitigate negative effects of Aging, just taking Dr peat as an example. Aging in and of itself I don't think has been necessarily identified, as to what it is in its essence. Aging itself, whether poor aging or good aging obviously happens. It is still too much of a mystery to speak in terms of theory let alone a hypothesis.

Cirion

Fair. It is an interesting idea. Because yeah no matter how low your stress is, aging seems to happen regardless. Supplementing hormones as you get really old probably helps increase lifespan further, but I'm guessing even that has its limits. Perfect stress reduction and hormone replacement is unlikely to get you beyond around 110-120 years old.

There is likely stuff coded into our DNA that results in aging. Telomeres seem to be the key from what little I have read about. They get shorter as you age until they reach a certain point, you die. Kind of like a bomb fuse. So, some how you have to re-lengthen them

Last edited:

mangoes

I dunno but Andy Milonakis comes to mind. He’s in his 40s but looks like a teenager still.

Telomeres seem to be the key from what little I have read about. They get shorter as you age until they reach a certain point, you die. Kind of like a bomb fuse. So, some how you have to re-lengthen them

Pretty sure Peat doesn’t agree w/the mainstream consensus of telomeres. I think he said long ones are associated with increased cancer rates and cellular injury.

Cirion

Do you have a link to where he talks about aging? What are his theories as how to prevent or even reverse aging if he has any? (Ray Peat that is)

redsun

Your actual question of if we had a perfect circumstances would we age is asking basically could we ever die if we were in perfect circumstances. The answer is no, and the reason is the body has multiple processes and mechanisms etc... for rejuvenation and rebuilding for the sole purpose of keep itself alive. Your body fights to keep itself alive even when on the brink of death. Your brain thinks you can live forever and has no concept of not being, its probably true that we arent meant to die from things like aging. There is no such thing as programmed aging, there is only programmed living indefinitely that your body strives for every day.

J

jb116

Fair. It is an interesting idea. Because yeah no matter how low your stress is, aging seems to happen regardless. Supplementing hormones as you get really old probably helps increase lifespan further, but I'm guessing even that has its limits. Perfect stress reduction and hormone replacement is unlikely to get you beyond around 110-120 years old.

There is likely stuff coded into our DNA that results in aging. Telomeres seem to be the key from what little I have read about. They get shorter as you age until they reach a certain point, you die. Kind of like a bomb fuse. So, some how you have to re-lengthen them
And then there, at telomeres you have a whole other controversy. As even Dr peat himself has said keeping telomeres short is actually more ideal. And as it turns out things like caffeine and progesterone shortened telomeres while estrogen and radiation length lengthen them.

Cirion

And then there, at telomeres you have a whole other controversy. As even Dr peat himself has said keeping telomeres short is actually more ideal. And as it turns out things like caffeine and progesterone shortened telomeres while estrogen and radiation length lengthen them.

Interesting. I can't say I am surprised though. I have read some peoples' opinions on aging (Dr. Kruse thinks telomere length is the answer) and he was so proud of increasing his length. He also eats a very high fat very low carb diet, does ridiculous cold therapy (a great way to slow metabolism), and loves things like fasting and exercising intensely while having a relatively low caloric intake (You know, pretty much what mainstream fitness culture loves to promote).

J

jb116

Interesting. I can't say I am surprised though. I have read some peoples' opinions on aging (Dr. Kruse thinks telomere length is the answer) and he was so proud of increasing his length. He also eats a very high fat very low carb diet, does ridiculous cold therapy (a great way to slow metabolism), and loves things like fasting and exercising intensely while having a relatively low caloric intake (You know, pretty much what mainstream fitness culture loves to promote).
Ah yes, kruse that krazy kat. The one discrepancy, regarding the shortening in older people, I've always considered possibly some kind of defense mechanism Maybe? Either way all of this confusion illustrates how I think the essence of Aging, the Crux of it, has not been truly figured out. But having said that I of course lean more towards dr. Peats ideas.

TeaRex14

Aging can be slowed, never prevented. Good diet, light exposure, plenty of sleep, and maybe some extra T3 will all contribute to a slower aging process. Danny Roddy looks exceptionally good for someone in their 30s. By looking at him you wouldn't think he's over 25 or 27.

Cirion

Aging can be slowed, never prevented. Good diet, light exposure, plenty of sleep, and maybe some extra T3 will all contribute to a slower aging process. Danny Roddy looks exceptionally good for someone in their 30s. By looking at him you wouldn't think he's over 25 or 27.

I seem to recall a thread like this a few months ago but can't find it offhand. There was an interesting discussion in it about people way back in the Genesis era (Adam, Seth, Noah etc...) who lived many hundreds of years sometimes almost 1000 years old. Whether or not you believe that stuff, it's still interesting to speculate how that could be. Even that is not "Preventing" aging, but I think most people would not really necessarily want to live truly forever, 1000 years is a very very long time to live lol. Even if aging was somehow eliminated entirely, I doubt many people would make 1000 years, at that point, you're likely to have died from an accident of some sort. I wonder if the risks people take would change at this point though. Just dying from a car accident is quite likely in the span of 1000 years.

redsun

I seem to recall a thread like this a few months ago but can't find it offhand. There was an interesting discussion in it about people way back in the Genesis era (Adam, Seth, Noah etc...) who lived many hundreds of years sometimes almost 1000 years old. Whether or not you believe that stuff, it's still interesting to speculate how that could be. Even that is not "Preventing" aging, but I think most people would not really necessarily want to live truly forever, 1000 years is a very very long time to live lol. Even if aging was somehow eliminated entirely, I doubt many people would make 1000 years, at that point, you're likely to have died from an accident of some sort. I wonder if the risks people take would change at this point though. Just dying from a car accident is quite likely in the span of 1000 years.

If humans were living up to a 1000 years, one would think they would be more robust, sturdy, and less likely to get injured as a result and when injured would likely be able to recover better because their nutrient stores would be large and metabolism incredibly efficient and strong. Would living hundreds of year not require insanely powerful and steady metabolism? You couldnt turn into a granny after 80 years of life then last another 900 years like that. You would mature after a few decades and maintain that for hundreds of years. All theoretically of course.

TeaRex14

Yeah I suspect there's a drastic increase in all cause mortality other than degenerative disease when living to 1,000, hypothetically. Do you know anything about transhumanism? The global elites want to merge their consciousness over into machines so they can live forever, but I guess that couldn't count. It's cheating if you don't make a biological organism live forever.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals