Puffy Hands and Feet

bookshelf

Any idea as to what causes hands and feet to get a little puffy under any of the following conditions? I know others who have extreme reactions under these circumstances but mine is on the mild side and generally dissipates with simple measures.

- when the weather/environment is warm (turning on air conditioning helps)
- taking a walk or being active in warm/hot climates (cooling my body helps)
- a little bit in the morning before getting out of bed and moving around (once I'm up and around, it resolves)

One of the primary suggestions from main stream medicine is to reduce/remove salt and drink more water. I know better but still haven't resolved the root cause. Would like to address this and, of course, keep it from becoming even worse as I age.

Any idea as to what causes hands and feet to get a little puffy under any of the following conditions? I know others who have extreme reactions under these circumstances but mine is on the mild side and generally dissipates with simple measures.

- when the weather/environment is warm (turning on air conditioning helps)
- taking a walk or being active in warm/hot climates (cooling my body helps)
- a little bit in the morning before getting out of bed and moving around (once I'm up and around, it resolves)

One of the primary suggestions from main stream medicine is to reduce/remove salt and drink more water. I know better but still haven't resolved the root cause. Would like to address this and, of course, keep it from becoming even worse as I age.
The root cause of edema is usually kidneys. Taking salt out of the diet only makes the problem worse. Often kidney problems are because the liver is sluggish and has to do more work to filter out toxins. Do you drink alcohol or smoke?

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

The root cause of edema is usually kidneys. Taking salt out of the diet only makes the problem worse. Often kidney problems are because the liver is sluggish and has to do more work to filter out toxins. Do you drink alcohol or smoke?
Thanks very much for replying.

I don't hold back on salt, don't smoke (maybe a cigar/pipe once a year...maybe), and occasionally will imbibe in a glass of wine and even less often, a mixed drink.

My hands/feed are completely fine under normal conditions. In fact, my wedding ring usually has a bit of spin on it. It only seems to happen when it is muggy out or I am especially warm and more so when moving about - such as taking a walk on a very warm to hot day. Sometimes, in the morning, my hands and feet might be a slight bit puffy but again, it seems to correspond to the weather/temps. If we don't have the air on and it is stuffy, I might get a wee bit puffy.

I support my liver through diet, lifestyle, and supplements such as some combination of digestive enzymes, bile salts (no gallbladder), sometimes phosphatidylcholine, and maybe HCL with my heaviest meal. Last read out on my bloodwork, though done a while ago - maybe a year? - has shown my liver to be running optimally which has always been the case. This puffy issue has been going on for many, many years but I always forget because it isn't chronic and then I happen to notice/remember it when the weather starts warming up and I am more active outside. I know it happens to one of my young adult kids who is waaaay better at peating and health hacking than I am. No doubt there's always more for me to do and be aware of and sometimes, being too close to the situation (and it being my own), I might be looking right past the obvious. This is the first time I have a place to ask about it that practices many of the same things I do so I am hoping for some insight.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks very much for replying.

I don't hold back on salt, don't smoke (maybe a cigar/pipe once a year...maybe), and occasionally will imbibe in a glass of wine and even less often, a mixed drink.

My hands/feed are completely fine under normal conditions. In fact, my wedding ring usually has a bit of spin on it. It only seems to happen when it is muggy out or I am especially warm and more so when moving about - such as taking a walk on a very warm to hot day. Sometimes, in the morning, my hands and feet might be a slight bit puffy but again, it seems to correspond to the weather/temps. If we don't have the air on and it is stuffy, I might get a wee bit puffy.

I support my liver through diet, lifestyle, and supplements such as some combination of digestive enzymes, bile salts (no gallbladder), sometimes phosphatidylcholine, and maybe HCL with my heaviest meal. Last read out on my bloodwork, though done a while ago - maybe a year? - has shown my liver to be running optimally which has always been the case. This puffy issue has been going on for many, many years but I always forget because it isn't chronic and then I happen to notice/remember it when the weather starts warming up and I am more active outside. I know it happens to one of my young adult kids who is waaaay better at peating and health hacking than I am. No doubt there's always more for me to do and be aware of and sometimes, being too close to the situation (and it being my own), I might be looking right past the obvious. This is the first time I have a place to ask about it that practices many of the same things I do so I am hoping for some insight.

Any other thoughts?

If you are in good health then this sounds more like your reason….

“It is more common for the hands to swell in hot weather as blood vessels expand to send more blood to the skin to cool down the body. As the vessels expand, some of their fluid can move into tissue in the hands.

Running the hands and wrists under cool water should reduce the swelling. Another option is to fill a basin with cool water and immerse the hands until the swelling goes down.

Avoid clothes with tight-fitting sleeves, which can cause discomfort along with swelling. Wearing watches or jewelry on the wrists can also reduce circulation. Make sure that these are loose enough to allow fluid to flow normally to and from the hands.“

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

If you are in good health then this sounds more like your reason….

“It is more common for the hands to swell in hot weather as blood vessels expand to send more blood to the skin to cool down the body. As the vessels expand, some of their fluid can move into tissue in the hands.

Running the hands and wrists under cool water should reduce the swelling. Another option is to fill a basin with cool water and immerse the hands until the swelling goes down.

Avoid clothes with tight-fitting sleeves, which can cause discomfort along with swelling. Wearing watches or jewelry on the wrists can also reduce circulation. Make sure that these are loose enough to allow fluid to flow normally to and from the hands.“

This is a very helpful find! It's funny that it mentions the water as one thing I was thinking after I posted my response was that if I am swimming outside on a hot day, I have no swelling. Thank you for pointing this out. I appreciate it!

This is a very helpful find! It's funny that it mentions the water as one thing I was thinking after I posted my response was that if I am swimming outside on a hot day, I have no swelling. Thank you for pointing this out. I appreciate it!

It is good to know you are normal :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals