Why take aspirin if you avoid PUFA?

J

j.

Ray Peat apparently consumes aspirin. At the same time, he probably avoided PUFAs for years and is clean, so what's the benefit of taking it if you avoided PUFAs?

Ray Peat said:
Although it would undoubtedly be best to grow up eating foods with relatively saturated fats, the use of aspirin preventively and therapeutically seems very reasonable under the present circumstances, in which, for example, clean and well ripened fruits are not generally available in abundance.

Link

jyb

Can think of a few possible reasons:

You can't avoid PUFA since animals are poorly nourished nowadays.

Some of the damage is irreversible, so anything that supports thyroid is valid.

Isadora

j. said:
Ray Peat apparently consumes aspirin. At the same time, he probably avoided PUFAs for years and is clean, so what's the benefit of taking it if you avoided PUFAs?

Ray Peat said:
Although it would undoubtedly be best to grow up eating foods with relatively saturated fats, the use of aspirin preventively and therapeutically seems very reasonable under the present circumstances, in which, for example, clean and well ripened fruits are not generally available in abundance.

Link

The way I understand this, it is to offset the effects of the bad quality fruit one cannot help but consume in the modern world, with very few exceptions. As in "organic farmers" and those lucky enough to get access to their produce while very fresh.

For the rest of us, (super)market buyers, it's a struggle out there... We need preventive medication with our food, no matter how hard we try to be wise about what we eat. :cry:

narouz

Peat is still concerned that he is getting too much PUFA
despite his years of careful avoidance.
In a fairly recent interview
he made a remark to the effect:
"I've been trying to increase my fruit intake and reduce my [was it meat?] intake
because of the PUFA."
I'll try to find the quote.
He might've said "fat," not "meat," for what category of his diet he was reducing.
But the gist was that he wanted to eat more fruit to supplant
the foods that contain PUFA.

So that is a reason for taking aspirin related to PUFA.
I'll have to go back and read his article on aspirin,
but it seems like the benefits he sees from aspirin go beyond strictly PUFA mitigation.

Isadora

narouz said:
But the gist was that he wanted to eat more fruit to supplant
the foods that contain PUFA.

So that is a reason for taking aspirin related to PUFA.

You're right, narouz, that's what he meant.

Still, what I say remains true, unfortunately. Peating is about trying to offset a progressively less friendly environment with the advances of science and pharma. A few generations ago, life was a lot healthier, but they didn't have the benefits we do now. It's a trade off. Those who understand what is going on and take necessary action will live longer than their peers.

narouz said:
I'll have to go back and read his article on aspirin,
but it seems like the benefits he sees from aspirin go beyond strictly PUFA mitigation.
I just did. He places it up there with progesterone, at the same level.

I will embark on supplementation, that one is easy...:)

J

j.

Isadora said:
I will embark on supplementation, that one is easy...:)

He advises to take vitamin K if one takes aspirin. Aspirin is a blood thinner, and vitamin K has the opposite effect.

narouz

Aspirin's Benefits Beyond PUFA Amelioration

from "Aspirin, Brain, and Cancer"
by Dr. Ray Peat
http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/aspirin-brain-cancer.shtml

Repeated use of aspirin protects the stomach against very strong irritants.

...aspirin was found to inactivate the enzyme that forms prostaglandins, by the transfer of the acetyl radical to the enzyme.

...salicylic acid (lacking the acetyl radical) had been widely known in the previous century for its very useful antiinflammatory actions.

Aspirin is an antioxidant that protects against lipid peroxidation, but it also stimulates mitochondrial respiration.

[Aspirin] can inhibit abnormal cell division, but promote normal cell division.

[Aspirin] can facilitate learning, while preventing excitotoxic nerve injury.

[Aspirin] reduces clotting, but it can decrease excessive menstrual bleeding.

Aspirin activates both glycolysis and mitochondrial respiration, and this means that it shifts the mitochondria away from the oxidation of fats, toward the oxidation of glucose, resulting in the increased production of carbon dioxide.

[Aspirin] action on the glycolytic enzyme, GAPDH, is the opposite of estrogen's.

So many of aspirin's effects oppose those of estrogen, it would be tempting to suggest that its "basic action" is the suppression of estrogen. But I think it's more likely that both estrogen and aspirin are acting on some basic processes, in approximately opposite ways.

Preventing blindness, degenerative brain diseases, heart and lung diseases, and cancer with aspirin should get as much support as the crazy public health recommendations are now getting from government and foundations and the medical businesses.

The recognized anti-metastatic effect of aspirin, and its ability to inhibit the development of new blood vessels that would support the tumor's growth, make it an appropriate drug to use for pain control, even if it doesn't shrink the tumor.

In studies of many kinds of tumor, though, [aspirin] does cause regression, or at least slows tumor growth. And it protects against many of the systemic consequences of cancer, including wasting (cachexia), immunosuppression, and strokes.

Aspirin protects against several kinds of toxicity, including excitotoxicity (glutamate), dopamine toxicity, and oxidative free radical toxicity.

Since [aspirin's] effects on the mitochondria are similar to those of thyroid (T3), using both of them might improve brain energy production more than just thyroid.

Aspirin, like progesterone or vitamin E, can improve fertility, by suppressing a prostaglandin, and improving uterine circulation.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Incredible. Thank you, narouz.