Why Do Some People Bleed From Aspirin Even When Taking Vit. K? The Vascular And Vitamin C Connection

PakPik

(Note: I'm not a medical practitioner. I'm merely sharing this information because it may be of your interest. I like learning about aspirin because I use it daily and try to be cautious with it :) )

Many people report bleeding issues from aspirin/salicylates even from low doses, and even taking vitamin K with it. Others seemingly don't get any bleeding issues even at chronic high doses. I've always wondered why that would be. For example, in the past I never took aspirin for anything, yet I got petechiae or bruises from time to time -not frequently, but they happened-. But since my many dietary changes and supplement aids that I've applied for the last 2 years, proneness to petechiae, etc, has virtually subsided, yet I've been taking high dose aspirin daily, 1-4 grams for 18 months.

Assuming there's no underlying coagulation problems, the most convincing reason I've found so far for aspirin/salicylates apparent induction of bleeding issues in some people has to do with their vascular status, more specifically with vitamin C and how it's crucial for blood vessel integrity and how aspirin may deplete or lower vitamin C status -which would be a tragedy for someone who already has some sort of vitamin C deficiency AND/OR is in such a state of heightened oxidative stress that their vitamin C requirements are heavily increased-.

Vitamin C and the blood vessels

Let me share quotes of some of the most important roles of vitamin C in blood vessel integrity:

Role of vitamin C in the function of the vascular endothelium. - PubMed - NCBI

"One of the organs most affected by ascorbate is the endothelium, which regulates the distribution of ascorbate throughout the body and where ascorbate has many functions. Ascorbate has long been known to enhance endothelial synthesis and deposition of Type IV collagen to form the basement membrane of blood vessels. More recent studies reveal other potential functions of the vitamin in the endothelium, especially as related to control of endothelial cell proliferation and apoptosis, smooth muscle-mediated vasodilation, and endothelial permeability barrier function."

"Ascorbate has several effects on endothelial function and survival. It causes endothelial cells to proliferate and to form capillary-like structures in cell in culture (136, 139). It is likely that the effect of ascorbate to stimulate endothelial cell proliferation is due to its ability to increase the synthesis of type IV collagen (143, 157), as in the absence of ascorbate there is little generation of mature type IV collagen by cultured endothelial cells (184) or of type IV collagen mRNA relative to that of elastin in blood vessels (94)."

"Inhibitors of collagen synthesis prevented ascorbate-dependent barrier tightening, leading the authors to conclude that the effect required collagen synthesis."

"Finally, ascorbate both prevented and reversed the effect of oxidized LDL to increase endothelial barrier permeability, an effect that was mimicked by several other antioxidants"

Inflammation in the vascular bed: importance of vitamin C. - PubMed - NCBI

"In guinea pigs losing weight due to scurvy, decreases type IV collagen mRNA relative to that of elastin were evident in blood vessels (Mahmoodian & Peterkofsky, 1999). This results in friable vessels and especially capillaries that are likely to rupture, creating the petechial hemorrhages and ecchymoses seen in scurvy"

"Opposing the healing process of endothelial proliferation is apoptosis, which contributes to endothelial dysfunction (Dimmeler et al., 1998; Rossig et al., 2001). Apoptosis in endothelial cells can be induced by a variety of factors, including hyperglycemia, oxidized LDL, TNF-α, and angiotensin II (Ho et al., 2000; Recchioni et al., 2002). Ascorbate has been shown to prevent apoptosis due to inflammatory cytokines and oxidized LDL in cultured endothelial cells"

Regarding vitamin C needs, many people don't consume enough. Others may indeed consume what could be termed the recommended daily amounts, but may be in fact in a deficit and have increased needs if they have experienced chronic oxidative stress -this may be, for example, due to chronic disease, chronic stress, infection, malnutrition, etc...- For example, it is well known that smokers need a higher daily vitamin C intake. And the list goes on.

The Aspirin/Salicylates-Vitamin C connection

So far it has become clear that having good blood vessel integrity is a very important factor for the prevention of bleeding issues related to their malfunction. Vitamin C is of paramount importance to vessel integrity, and there are situations where both vascular integrity and Vitamin C status are compromised. Many of us already knew that. What may be news, at least to me, is that there's evidence that aspirin and salicylates lower vitamin C status, and this may be one important explanation to the bleeding issues that certain people experience when supplementing those substances. The people more readily affected seem to be those already without adequate vitamin C intake -again, the requirements for vitamin C vary from person to person-, and the people with subclinical scurvy. So it is not hard to see that such escenario, paired with aspirin's blood thinning properties, may lead to bleeding side effects of all sorts. Conversely, people who have a good vitamin C status and/or consuming extra vitamin C seem to suffer much less from the bleeding side effects. And regarding the gastric mucosa, since it relies heavily on vitamin C for protection and renewal, it follows that aspirin is able to negatively affect it via vitamin C depletion.

It's just not vitamin C. Malnourishment in general seems to render a person more susceptible to aspirin/salicylates side effects, for example the gastric ones, since there's lessened ability to perform epithelial cell turnover for gastric mucosa renewal. And aspirin is indeed hard on the gastric mucosa. (Note 1: I personally have suffered lots of aspirin related G.I distress. After months of ups and downs, I discovered that a big thing for reducing the distess is getting the aspirin into the bloodstream ASAP, and sodium acetylsalicylate -the full reaction with sodium bicarbonate- a.k.a "Soluble aspirin" is absorbed much faster than pure aspirin -which sits for a long time on the stomach wall due to poor solubility-. I've had success with it, and also take periodic breaks -a couple of days off it- to allow mucosa repair. My G.I problems with aspirin have since very much disappeared.)

c1-.jpg

c2-.jpg

c3-.jpg

c4-.jpg

I got the information from the book "Herb, Nutrient, and Drug Interactions: Clinical Implications and Therapeutic Strategies" (2008) by Mitchell Bebel Stargrove, Jonathan Treasure, and Dwight L. McKeewhich, which you can find in GoogleBooks, pages 367 and 368.

(Note 2: Aspirin is an interesting substance since although it may lead to bleeding issues in susceptible people, it seems to offer improved survival in people who experience vascular bleeding events compared to non-users. There are some studies posted in the forum.)

(Note 3: Vitamin C supplementation may enhance anticoagulation effects of aspirin. Good to keep in mind)

Thanks for reading!

Diokine

Very nice. I have experimented with very high dose vitamin C (>30 grams / day orally) in an attempt to sequester mercury from amalgam removal. I noticed when doing this my gums didn't bleed when flossing. It caused some other issues because vitamin C can antagonize ceruloplasmin and will cause disruptions in zinc and copper metabolism, so I don't recommend high dose vitamin C for very long.

I still take in quite a bit of vitamin C in several forms (buffered w/ magnesium bicarbonate, liposomal, at around 2 grams per day) and I have no problems with bleeding, occasionally taking ~1g of buffered aspirin per day. There is also some interesting evidence showing high dose intravenous vitamin C is effective in managing hemorrhagic fevers.

I think you're right on the money regarding vascular health and aspirin. I've been looking into ascorbic acid and endothelial health for a bit, and I think there are some really important concepts there!

OP
P

PakPik

I have experimented with very high dose vitamin C (>30 grams / day orally) in an attempt to sequester mercury from amalgam removal. I noticed when doing this my gums didn't bleed when flossing. It caused some other issues because vitamin C can antagonize ceruloplasmin and will cause disruptions in zinc and copper metabolism, so I don't recommend high dose vitamin C for very long.
Hi Diokine, thanks for sharing your experience. Wow that's a ginormous dose! I hope it did its job... Have you been concerned at all about the heavy metal contamination of vit C that Peat talks about?
And yes high doses of anything will potentially alter nutrient status; one has to be careful.

There is also some interesting evidence showing high dose intravenous vitamin C is effective in managing hemorrhagic fevers.
Well, I would have liked to know that before getting a viral infection last month that turned somewhat hemorragic. At first suspected zika, but then the evidence, incl. blood work and later symptoms of bleeding, pointed more to dengue. I did take supplemental vitamin C but only around 2 grams daily. I was hesitant to take more since vit C may thin the blood. I need to check the studies you mention!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi @PakPik. I just wanted to thank you for the helpful and informative thread. This helps me understand why I tend to have some minor bleeding issues when I go without O.J. for a few days.:hattip

blob69

"Soluble aspirin" is absorbed much faster than pure aspirin -which sits for a long time on the stomach wall due to poor solubility-

I reread your post here and am wondering... When you speak of poorly soluble aspirin, do you mean ingesting it without dissolving it in hot water first? Because I can dissolve aspirin both in water or carbonated water, the only difference seems to be acidity - first one can be very acid while the second one not at all if done properly. I'd just like to understand the difference I guess! :)

OP
P

PakPik

Hello!
FYI, taking aspirin in warm water injured me, as compared to letting the warm water cool down.
Well, to be honest I don't know why aspirin would become less acidic when dissolved in carbonated water, compared to plain water. I would think the CO2 bubbles acting as explosives help it hydrolyze quicker. Chemical knowledge would be handy in here :) Aspirin is indeed poorly soluble in water, although there are certain temps. and times where aspirin would hydrolyze into acetic acid and salicylic acid in the water. But even salicylic acid itself is very harsh on the stomach as far as I've know. That's why the aspirin in water recipe finally didn't work for my stomach, no matter how I tweaked it. Sodium salicylate is different in that sense. I understand that, since sodium acetylsalicylate is the salt of a weak acid (aspirin), it has a decent solubility in a strong acid (stomach's hydrochloric acid is a strong acid), which is the reason why it is absorbed rather fast in the stomach and doesn't just sit there as aspirin or salicylic acid do (these last two are very soluble in alkaline medium, not in the stomach, which is why they are mainly absorbed in the intestine).

This is my basic understanding so far :)

cdg

Hello!
FYI, taking aspirin in warm water injured me, as compared to letting the warm water cool down.
Well, to be honest I don't know why aspirin would become less acidic when dissolved in carbonated water, compared to plain water. I would think the CO2 bubbles acting as explosives help it hydrolyze quicker. Chemical knowledge would be handy in here :) Aspirin is indeed poorly soluble in water, although there are certain temps. and times where aspirin would hydrolyze into acetic acid and salicylic acid in the water. But even salicylic acid itself is very harsh on the stomach as far as I've know. That's why the aspirin in water recipe finally didn't work for my stomach, no matter how I tweaked it. Sodium salicylate is different in that sense. I understand that, since sodium acetylsalicylate is the salt of a weak acid (aspirin), it has a decent solubility in a strong acid (stomach's hydrochloric acid is a strong acid), which is the reason why it is absorbed rather fast in the stomach and doesn't just sit there as aspirin or salicylic acid do (these last two are very soluble in alkaline medium, not in the stomach, which is why they are mainly absorbed in the intestine).

This is my basic understanding so far :)

See: Aspirin Low Strength and sodium bicarbonate Drug Interactions - Drugs.com

johann1988

Hello,

when aspirin is depleting vitamin c, what do you think of this product or are there some problems with fillers?
The fillers are actually baking soda, citric acid and two other sodium connections.

BAYER ASPIRIN PLUS C

RedStaR

Hello,

when aspirin is depleting vitamin c, what do you think of this product or are there some problems with fillers?
The fillers are actually baking soda, citric acid and two other sodium connections.

BAYER ASPIRIN PLUS C
That's the one I use. Looks perfect for solubility and filler issues. I also place a 1g ascorbic acid eff tablet with it.

Mito

Bleeding tendency and ascorbic acid requirements: systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials​

Abstract

Context
The World Health Organization set the recommended daily vitamin C intake, henceforth referred to as ascorbic acid (AA), on the basis of scurvy prevention. Double-blind AA depletion-repletion studies suggest that this recommended AA dose may be too low to prevent microvascular fragility.

Objectives
(1) To conduct a systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled clinical trials on whether AA supplementation leads to a reduced gingival bleeding tendency, a manifestation of microvascular fragility; and (2) to relate AA plasma levels to retinal hemorrhaging, another manifestation of microvascular fragility.

Data sources
Data were reviewed from 15 trials conducted in 6 countries with 1140 predominantly healthy participants with measures of gingival bleeding tendency, and from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) III of 8210 US residents with measures of retinal hemorrhaging.

Results
In clinical trials, AA supplementation reduced gingival bleeding tendency when estimated baseline AA plasma levels were < 28 μmol/L (standardized mean difference [SMD], −0.83; 95%CI, −1.16 to −0.49; P < 0.002). Supplementation with AA did not unequivocally reduce gingival bleeding tendency when baseline estimated AA plasma levels were >48  μmol/L or unknown (respective standardized mean differences: −0.23, 95%CI, −0.45 to −0.01, P < 0.05; and −0.56; 95%CI: −1.19 to 0.06, P < 0.08). In NHANES III, prevalence of both retinal hemorrhaging and gingival bleeding tendency increased when AA plasma levels were within the range that protects against scurvy (11–28 μmol/L; respective prevalence ratios adjusted for age and sex: 1.47; 95%CI: 1.22–1.77; and 1.64; 95%CI: 1.32–2.03; P < 0.001 for both).

Conclusion
Consistent evidence from controlled clinical trials indicates that setting human AA requirements based on scurvy prevention leads to AA plasma levels that may be too low to prevent an increased gingival bleeding tendency. Gingival bleeding tendency and retinal hemorrhaging coincide with low AA plasma levels and thus may be reflective of a systemic microvascular pathology that is reversible with an increased daily AA intake.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals