Can a low caloric diet or 5:2 one reverse NAFLD?

Trullo

It looks that 5:2 diet is better than low carb diet in reverse NAFLD and cirrhosis.

Is it possible that the two day of almost fasting reduce Randle Cycle? Or better reduce the presence of glucose and the body burn fats?

Hans

Forum Supporter

It looks that 5:2 diet is better than low carb diet in reverse NAFLD and cirrhosis.

Is it possible that the two day of almost fasting reduce Randle Cycle? Or better reduce the presence of glucose and the body burn fats?
Fasting is going to be faster than calorie restriction, but going extreme is rarely a good/safe thing to do.
Some with NAFLD likely has insulin resistance and are eating in a surplus and might have nutritional deficiencies.
Cleaning up the diet, eliminating PUFA and eating at maintenance or a slight deficit will slowly lean out the liver, reduce inflammation and improve insulin sensitivity.

OP
T

Trullo

Fasting is going to be faster than calorie restriction, but going extreme is rarely a good/safe thing to do.
Some with NAFLD likely has insulin resistance and are eating in a surplus and might have nutritional deficiencies.
Cleaning up the diet, eliminating PUFA and eating at maintenance or a slight deficit will slowly lean out the liver, reduce inflammation and improve insulin sensitivity.
Yeah but why 5:2 that is extreme only 2 day per week regenerate liver and there's another research where intermittent caloric restriction regenerate colon too after inflammation?

For example:

Alternate day fasting doesn't have the same results of 5:2 or other intermittent caloric restriction.

I suppose PUFA are dangerous only if someone doesn't burn it quickly to produce energy so if someone accumulate them otherwise I can't explain why 5:2 restores liver and low carb diet doesn't.

Neeters 27

take TUDCA or Taurine along with intermittent fasting. your body needs NO FOOD for long periods in order to HEAL itself, liver included. but it also needs calories to do the healing, thus what works well is 2 meals a day, I do one at noon and another at 5 pm. fixes a lot of things!

EIRE24

take TUDCA or Taurine along with intermittent fasting. your body needs NO FOOD for long periods in order to HEAL itself, liver included. but it also needs calories to do the healing, thus what works well is 2 meals a day, I do one at noon and another at 5 pm. fixes a lot of things!
What do these meals consist of?

B

BRBsavinWorld

Fatty liver is caused by PUFA and endotoxin. Target these things.

Fasting increases estrogen and cortisol; there has yet to be a fasting proponent who has serious propositions to restore someone’s hormones after screwing them up with fasting.
I had to take megadoses of progesterone and other therapeutic tricks to get back to a fraction of the normal that I was before fasting.

Heheh… Being on the Ray Peat forum and advocating fasting is like going to Rome, and eating at McDonald’s.

Neeters 27

Fasting increases estrogen and cortisol; there has yet to be a fasting proponent who has serious propositions to restore someone’s hormones after screwing them up with fasting.
I had to take megadoses of progesterone and other therapeutic tricks to get back to a fraction of the normal that I was before fasting.

Heheh… Being on the Ray Peat forum and advocating fasting is like going to Rome, and eating at McDonald’s.
intermittent fasting, like only 16 to 18 hours, isnt really "fasting" per se and doesnt increase anything. what it does do is reverse type 2 diabetes, and increased my energy, and balanced my hormones (i take hrt and thyroid, i was able to reduce doses) only if it is prolonged fasting, does it raise cortisol. and in any case, my cortisol is very low at all times, unless I get into a fight with my idiot neighbour or drive on the highway Lol!

DonLore

Fasting has also always helped me, probably due to lower endotoxin. But as said before, its ofter 12-18 hours so probably wont do any harm as long as you feel good. I dont get any symptoms of hypoglycemia or cortisol, the opposite really

B

BRBsavinWorld

intermittent fasting, like only 16 to 18 hours, isnt really "fasting" per se and doesnt increase anything. what it does do is reverse type 2 diabetes, and increased my energy, and balanced my hormones (i take hrt and thyroid, i was able to reduce doses) only if it is prolonged fasting, does it raise cortisol. and in any case, my cortisol is very low at all times, unless I get into a fight with my idiot neighbour or drive on the highway Lol!
Probably 75% of my fasting was 16:8. It imbalanced my hormones, and made me insulin resistant, because cortisol tricks are not long lasting.

Ray Peat himself says that only the healthiest of people can go 8 hrs tops on no food before raising cortisol and adrenaline, and that’s bad.

mostlylurking

for your consideration:
and

My thiamine function was blocked by prescription Bactrim antibiotic late July of 2020. By September of 2020, the MRI showed the beginning of NAFLD, plus a lesion on my pancreas. I had packed on 25 pounds in those few weeks, eating mainly 1% organic milk with gelatin and some oranges. I've been high dosing thiamine hcl for about 18 months (since Feb, 2021). I did regain my health (with good liver function) spring of 2021, but I did not start to lose the weight until I added about 90mg of niacinamide 4Xday, November of 2021. So far I've lost 27 pounds, eating the same healthy diet all along. I'm 72, female.

Neeters 27

What do these meals consist of?
changes every day. today I had a smoothie after my bike ride, 1 frozen banana in about a cup and a half of 2% milk, with about 1/4 cup greek yogourt in it, and my taurine powder and vitamin C powder. I did snack on a few carrot sticks too.. tonight dinner is Pasta bow ties with a sauce I will make with halved cherry tomatoes, a big blob of pesto thrown in and butter, garlic, Salamoia Bolognese (italian sea salt with herbs) and I have half a lb of dark turkey ground meat I defrosted to sizzle and add to it. once meat has cooked and I have sizzled the garlic and added the tomatoes and pesto, I will add in the seasoning and the cooked pasta along with some of the salted pasta water. stir, and serve! I dont have a lot of noodles, I am carb sensitive, so probably half meat and sauce and half pasta. yesterday breakfast was a 3 egg omelet with leftover peameal bacon diced in, and dinner was homemade potato salad and roasted chicken thighs and roasted vegetables. When baseball is on which is pretty much every night, (Lets go Blue Jays!) my husband snacks non-stop for the evening...I caved and had some red licorice and popcorn...

Neeters 27

I also have 1 or 2 big strong coffees in the morning with cream, no sugar. do my exercise or bike ride, and eat late breakfast/lunch, then 5 hours or so later is dinner. fyi. I have lost 106 lbs doing this along with taking hormones. I did injure my back some months ago, and couldnt move to exercise, so I put on 40 lbs!!!! but its already starting to come off now that I can exercise. its very hard when you are over 60...

Katty

for your consideration:
and

My thiamine function was blocked by prescription Bactrim antibiotic late July of 2020. By September of 2020, the MRI showed the beginning of NAFLD, plus a lesion on my pancreas. I had packed on 25 pounds in those few weeks, eating mainly 1% organic milk with gelatin and some oranges. I've been high dosing thiamine hcl for about 18 months (since Feb, 2021). I did regain my health (with good liver function) spring of 2021, but I did not start to lose the weight until I added about 90mg of niacinamide 4Xday, November of 2021. So far I've lost 27 pounds, eating the same healthy diet all along. I'm 72, female.

@mostlylurking How much Thiamine do you take?

mostlylurking

My fatty liver issue happened after I had been scrupulously avoiding all PUFA for 6 years, then experienced a thiamine functional blockage from Bactrim antibiotic. The endotoxin link is interesting to me because thiamine deficiency/functional blockage causes leaky gut which would massively increase endotoxin in the bloodstream. Thiamine is required to maintain gut lining integrity.

Katty

I'm taking 2 grams of thiamine hcl/day orally. This equals to one 100mg thiamine hcl by injection per week. It resolved my very long term problems with digestion, inflammation, mental clarity. I'm following Dr. Costantini's protocol that is explained here: HDT Therapy
Thanks, good to know. On the FAQ page of Dr. Costantini's protocol, it says the don't use benfotiamine because it does not enter in the neural cells. Disappointed to learn that's the case because Thiamine HCL causes an allergic reaction for me so I have to use benfo. Benfo might be useful for other conditions I suppose. I haven't researched it enough to know if benfo is as effective as thiamine hcl in other conditions.

mostlylurking

Thanks, good to know. On the FAQ page of Dr. Costantini's protocol, it says the don't use benfotiamine because it does not enter in the neural cells. Disappointed to learn that's the case because Thiamine HCL causes an allergic reaction for me so I have to use benfo. Benfo might be useful for other conditions I suppose. I haven't researched it enough to know if benfo is as effective as thiamine hcl in other conditions.
I think that there was one study that showed that benfo didn't get into the brain. There's a lot of hype about TTFD being the only thiamine that gets into the brain. However, Dr. Costantini has said that thiamine hcl crosses the blood/brain barrier just fine when the level in the blood is high enough.

Benfo is highly touted by a lot of people. Maybe there is/was a little turf war going on between the different factions?

Here's a pubmed search results for "benfotiamine and brain": benfotiamine and brain - Search Results - PubMed

B

BRBsavinWorld

My fatty liver issue happened after I had been scrupulously avoiding all PUFA for 6 years, then experienced a thiamine functional blockage from Bactrim antibiotic. The endotoxin link is interesting to me because thiamine deficiency/functional blockage causes leaky gut which would massively increase endotoxin in the bloodstream. Thiamine is required to maintain gut lining integrity.
interesting.

I've had tremendous success with gut and digestion, from megadoses of B1 and B3

mostlylurking

interesting.

I've had tremendous success with gut and digestion, from megadoses of B1 and B3
I take high doses of thiamine hcl and smaller doses of niacinamide (90mg 4Xday). High doses of niacinamide make me loopy. Regular niacin is some rough stuff. The high dose thiamine hcl normalized my digestive tract, resolved multiple issues there including low/no peristalsis in the esophagus, low stomach acid, SIBO, leaky gut. When I got the dose up to 2 grams/day, the improvement was very fast (2 days) and a miraculous experience.

B

BRBsavinWorld

I take high doses of thiamine hcl and smaller doses of niacinamide (90mg 4Xday). High doses of niacinamide make me loopy. Regular niacin is some rough stuff. The high dose thiamine hcl normalized my digestive tract, resolved multiple issues there including low/no peristalsis in the esophagus, low stomach acid, SIBO, leaky gut. When I got the dose up to 2 grams/day, the improvement was very fast (2 days) and a miraculous experience.
nice.

I had to considerably up my caloric intake when megadosing niacinamide, to reduce weird feelings. And yes, niacin is bad; I learned that that's how Ray feels about it after I already tried it for a month, lol.

there's actually a thread about it, I'd suggest checking out:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals