A systems-approach to NAD+ restoration

aliml

Alternative strategies to boost NAD+​

Given these drawbacks of simple precursor supplementation, strategies that address the root causes of NAD+ decline by considering multiple key nodes of the NAD+ interactome seem more appealing. Furthermore, there is already a wealth of evidence to support these targets as interventions.

Targeting hyperactivated NAD+ consumption​

CD38 inhibition​

CD38 inhibition has emerged as a promising strategy to increase cellular NAD+ . Given the inefficient use of NAD+ by CD38, strategies to inhibit CD38 even at a low level may lead to substantial increases in cellular NAD+ levels. In support of this, CD38 inhibition by the flavonoid apigenin resulted in a 50% increase in NAD+ [106], [107], which is comparable with reported NAD+ increases using 300 mg NR (Table 1). This intervention was also found to decrease global proteome acetylation and improve glucose and lipid homeostasis in obese mice by increasing the activity of downstream SIRT1 and SIRT3 [81], [106]. The CD38 inhibitor 78c has also been found to reverse age-related NAD+ decline and improve several physiological and metabolic parameters of ageing, including glucose tolerance, muscle function, exercise capacity and cardiac function in mouse models of natural and accelerated ageing [82]. In addition, aged wild-type mice were shown to have around half the NAD+ levels of young mice, whilst CD38 knockout mice maintained their NAD+ levels and were resistant to the negative effects of a high fat diet, including liver steatosis and glucose intolerance, adding further support to CD38 inhibition being an attractive approach [23], [82], [106].

PARP inhibition​

The detrimental action of PARP activity on NAD+ pools is evident in experiments where cells are treated with genotoxic agents to promote DNA damage. These agents lead to a sustained activation of PARP activity and a concomitant decrease in NAD+ levels to only 10–20% of their normal levels within 5–15 min [108], [109]. Studies in DNA repair-deficient human neuroblastoma cells have shown that treatment with PARP inhibitors can reduce DNA-damage associated NAD+ loss [71]. In mouse models of early alcoholic steatohepatitis, a condition associated with NAD+ decline, pharmacological inhibition of PARP with Olaparib restored the hepatic NAD+ content and beneficially affected metabolic, inflammatory and oxidative stress parameters via increased SIRT1 activation [27], [110]. Congruently, in PARP1 KO mice NAD+ levels were robustly increased in brown adipose tissue (BAT) and skeletal muscle by approximately 100% and 50% respectively, improving mitochondrial function [24], [111]. PARP inhibitors have also proved promising in models of Cockayne Syndrome (CS) and Xeroderma Pigmentosum (XDP), accelerated ageing disorders characterised by persistent PARP activation and NAD+ decline. Notably, treatment of CS mice with PARP1 inhibitors promoted lifespan extension and ameliorated the severe phenotypes caused by PARP1 hyperactivation [11], [70].

Targeting NAD+ salvage and recycling​

NAMPT activation​

Studies to reverse the age-related decline in the Salvage pathway by activating its rate-limiting enzyme NAMPT have also yielded promising results with regard to increasing NAD+ levels. Overexpression of NAMPT in mice was found to increase intracellular NAD+ levels in skeletal muscle by ∼50%, an increase comparable with the effects of dietary NAD+ precursors (Table 1) [112]. The potential of NAMPT to restore NAD+ has also led to the development of small molecule activators. The aminopropyl carbazole P7C3 was able to rescue human cells in vitro from doxorubicin-induced NAD+ depletion [113], whilst in vivo P7C3 administration to mice increased brain NAD+ levels and offered protection from ischemic stroke [113], [114]. SBI-797812, another small molecule activator of NAMPT, increased NAMPT activity and NAD+ levels in a dose dependent manner elevating NAD+ by ∼40% in mouse liver [115]. The tripeptide Ile-Arg-Trp (IRW) has also recently been found to increase both NAMPT and NAD+ levels in muscle cells of obese mice [116]. Aside from the influence of pharmacological interventions, NAMPT levels fluctuate to match cellular NAD+ demand and as a result are influenced by activities that effect cellular energy stress such as fasting, calorie restriction and exercise [117], [118], [119]. Accordingly, in an exercise intervention study NAMPT protein increased by 127% in sedentary nonobese subjects after only three weeks of exercise training [119]. Another study demonstrated ten weeks of resistance training increased NAMPT levels in the muscle of middle-aged men by 15%, which was associated with a 127% increase in NAD+ levels [9]. This demonstrates that lifestyle interventions may also be a powerful strategy for NAD+ enhancement where clinically appropriate.

NNMT inhibition​

NNMT was found to be overexpressed in the white adipose tissue (WAT) and liver of obese and diabetic mice, both of which are associated with decreased NAD+ [26], [104]. NNMT knockdown was found to restore NAD+ and SAM indicating that NNMT inhibition promotes recycling of NAM to NAD+ via the Salvage pathway rather than methylation and excretion [26]. Treatment of mouse adipocytes with the NNMT inhibitor 5-amino-1MQ resulted in a concentration-dependent increase in NAD+ levels by ∼1.2–1.6-fold relative to control adipocytes. Elevated SAM was also observed improving the availability of methyl groups to the cell [120]. Furthermore, treating mice with diet-induced obesity with a NNMT inhibitor caused significant loss of body weight and white adipose tissue mass, reduction in adipocyte size and decreased circulating cholesterol levels [120].

Designing better NAD+ Supplementation​

It is evident that a multitargeted approach is needed: an NAD+ precursor, promotion of NAD+ synthesis enzymes, suppression of NAD+ destroying enzymes and suppression of NAD+ excretion.
  • Increasing NAD+ synthesis enzymes: flavonoids such as quercetin, rutin and troxrutin all increase NAMPT to restore the salvage pathway.
  • Decreasing wasteful NAD+ consumption: apigenin and quercetin are both CD38 inhibitors.
  • Decreasing NAD+ excretion: EGCG inhibits NMNT and methylation of nicotinamide.

GTW

I found that nicotinic acid with food has a good effect.

GTW

It's the uncomplexed niacin, niacinamide without the amide. Any vitamin seller/source. Causes flushing for most people but not so much with food.

David PS

Doctoryourself.com has detailed information about dosing niacin to avoid/minimize the flush.

Doses
The optimum dose range is not as wide as it is for ascorbic acid, but it is wide enough to require different recommendations for different classes of diseases. As is always the case with nutrients, each individual must determine their own optimum level. With nicotinic acid this is done by increasing the dose until the flush (vasodilation) is gone, or is so slight it is not a problem.

One can start with as low a dose as 100 mg taken three times each day after meals and gradually increase it. I usually start with 500 mg each dose and often will start with 1 gram per dose especially for cases of arthritis, for schizophrenics, for alcoholics and for a few elderly patients. However, with elderly patients it is better to start small and work it up slowly.

No person should be given nicotinic acid without explaining to them that they will have a flush which will vary in intensity from none to very severe. If this is explained carefully, and if they are told that in time the flush will not be a problem, they will not mind. The flush may remain too intense for a few patients and the nicotinic acid may have to be replaced by a slow release preparation or by some of the esters, for example, inositol niacinate. The latter is a very good preparation with very little flush and most find it very acceptable even when they were not able to accept the nicotinic acid itself. It is rather expensive but with quantity production the price might come down.

The flush starts in the forehead with a warning tingle. Then it intensifies. The rate of the development of the flush depends upon so many factors it is impossible to predict what course it will follow.

The following factors decrease the intensity of the flush: a cold meal, taking it after a meal, taking aspirin before, using an antihistamine in advance.

The following factors make the flush more intense: a hot meal, a hot drink, an empty stomach, chewing the tablets and the rate at which the tablets break down in liquid.

From the forehead and face the flush travels down the rest of the body, usually stopping somewhere in the chest but may extend to the toes. With continued use the flush gradually recedes and eventually may be only a tingling sensation in the forehead. If the person stops taking the vitamin for a day or more the sequence of flushing will be re-experienced. Some people never do flush and a few only begin to flush after several years of taking the vitamin. With nicotinamide there should be no flushing but I have found that about 2% will flush. This may be due to rapid conversion of the nicotinamide to nicotinic acid in the body.

When the dose is too high for both forms of the vitamin the patients will suffer from nausea at first, and then if the dose is not reduced it will lead to vomiting. These side effects may be used to determine what is the optimum dose. When they do occur the dose is reduced until it is just below the nausea level. With children the first indication may be loss of appetite. If this does occur the vitamin must be stopped for a few days and then may be resumed at a lower level. Very few can take more than 6 grams per day of the nicotinamide. With nicotinic acid it is possible to go much higher. Many schizophrenics have taken up to 30 grams per day with no difficulty. The dose will alter over time and if on a dose where there were no problems, they may develop in time. Usually this indicates that the patient is getting better and does not need as much. I have divided all patients who might benefit from vitamin B-3 into the following categories.

GTW

You're brave or reckless to start with 500 mg!
My experience:
50 mg on an empty stomach causes substantial flush at first. After several days, 100 mg was my max continuing dose.
Little or no flushing taken with a meal.
Before bed on an empty stomach, suprisingly, 100 mg put me to sleep just as I started to notice the flush.
The most intense uncomfortable itching flush was when taken with beta alanine which by itself causes similar flushing.

GTW

Does flushing contribute to the benefit of nicotinic acid?

Neeters 27

All I can say is as a woman in Menopause who is always too hot, I had to quit taking my B complex and it had exactly 80 mgs niacinamide. I was using Thorne stress B complex, I have since switched to Solaray b50 and it definitely is less intesely hot.

Peater

NNMT inhibition​

NNMT was found to be overexpressed in the white adipose tissue (WAT) and liver of obese and diabetic mice, both of which are associated with decreased NAD+ [26], [104]. NNMT knockdown was found to restore NAD+ and SAM indicating that NNMT inhibition promotes recycling of NAM to NAD+ via the Salvage pathway rather than methylation and excretion [26].

I don't know what's going on anymore.

Compare with Low-dose niacinamide has striking anti-obesity effects

David PS

Just for the record I have switched to low dose niacinamide several times daily.

Ismail

Doctoryourself.com has detailed information about dosing niacin to avoid/minimize the flush.

Doses
The optimum dose range is not as wide as it is for ascorbic acid, but it is wide enough to require different recommendations for different classes of diseases. As is always the case with nutrients, each individual must determine their own optimum level. With nicotinic acid this is done by increasing the dose until the flush (vasodilation) is gone, or is so slight it is not a problem.

One can start with as low a dose as 100 mg taken three times each day after meals and gradually increase it. I usually start with 500 mg each dose and often will start with 1 gram per dose especially for cases of arthritis, for schizophrenics, for alcoholics and for a few elderly patients. However, with elderly patients it is better to start small and work it up slowly.

No person should be given nicotinic acid without explaining to them that they will have a flush which will vary in intensity from none to very severe. If this is explained carefully, and if they are told that in time the flush will not be a problem, they will not mind. The flush may remain too intense for a few patients and the nicotinic acid may have to be replaced by a slow release preparation or by some of the esters, for example, inositol niacinate. The latter is a very good preparation with very little flush and most find it very acceptable even when they were not able to accept the nicotinic acid itself. It is rather expensive but with quantity production the price might come down.

The flush starts in the forehead with a warning tingle. Then it intensifies. The rate of the development of the flush depends upon so many factors it is impossible to predict what course it will follow.

The following factors decrease the intensity of the flush: a cold meal, taking it after a meal, taking aspirin before, using an antihistamine in advance.

The following factors make the flush more intense: a hot meal, a hot drink, an empty stomach, chewing the tablets and the rate at which the tablets break down in liquid.

From the forehead and face the flush travels down the rest of the body, usually stopping somewhere in the chest but may extend to the toes. With continued use the flush gradually recedes and eventually may be only a tingling sensation in the forehead. If the person stops taking the vitamin for a day or more the sequence of flushing will be re-experienced. Some people never do flush and a few only begin to flush after several years of taking the vitamin. With nicotinamide there should be no flushing but I have found that about 2% will flush. This may be due to rapid conversion of the nicotinamide to nicotinic acid in the body.

When the dose is too high for both forms of the vitamin the patients will suffer from nausea at first, and then if the dose is not reduced it will lead to vomiting. These side effects may be used to determine what is the optimum dose. When they do occur the dose is reduced until it is just below the nausea level. With children the first indication may be loss of appetite. If this does occur the vitamin must be stopped for a few days and then may be resumed at a lower level. Very few can take more than 6 grams per day of the nicotinamide. With nicotinic acid it is possible to go much higher. Many schizophrenics have taken up to 30 grams per day with no difficulty. The dose will alter over time and if on a dose where there were no problems, they may develop in time. Usually this indicates that the patient is getting better and does not need as much. I have divided all patients who might benefit from vitamin B-3 into the following categories.
I just saw this clip where Dr Peat mentions that the flush form of niacin (ie nicotinic acid) is not good for one’s health as it releases histamine, serotonin and toxic prostaglandins:

View: https://youtu.be/xTVWMWXNpP4?si=LBmuorZqvAyyrJqF

I just saw this clip where Dr Peat mentions that the flush form of niacin (ie nicotinic acid) is not good for one’s health as it releases histamine, serotonin and toxic prostaglandins:
Interesting clip. I will counter that clip with a Dr. Hoffer clip of his supplement stack. Hoffer was also an acquaintance with the doctoryourself.com website person/team.
Actually, I just clicked on the linked in the part you replied to, and it was written by Dr. Hoffer.
Has a few grams of nicotinic acid, 500mgx3=1500mgx3=4500mg nicotinic acid a day. He's probably been doing those types of dosages for decades. Mentions in the clip on working in the "game" for 50 years.
He outlived Dr. Peat by around 5 years. I don't know how Peat or Hoffer died though. Only speculation at this time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmdZCaGvevc

Hoffer A: Safety, Side Effects and RelativeLack of Toxicity of Nicotinic acid and Nicotinamide. Schizophrenia 1:78-87,1969.

I think with this system approach thread, using the information presented can make one use less amount of niacin/niacinamide/nr/nmn type products.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals